• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
2107 replies to this topic

#1801 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 27 2021 - 8:34 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Follow up to my overcrowded Phalanx formicarium. I’m adding an annex. Ordering another Phalanx with a right-side connection and no outworld. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

#1802 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 28 2021 - 4:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Follow up to my overcrowded Phalanx formicarium. I’m adding an annex. Ordering another Phalanx with a right-side connection and no outworld. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

Cool! Keep us posted. You guys with big Camponotus colonies make me kind of jealous.
  • ConcordAntman and Chickalo like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1803 Offline Scherme - Posted February 28 2021 - 4:28 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA
Send your ants to Harvard! https://harvardfores...fgane/specimens

Not for an education unfortunately, but for identification. Not sure if this has been shared before, thought it was interesting.
  • ConcordAntman, ANTdrew and Chickalo like this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#1804 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 28 2021 - 7:07 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Send your ants to Harvard! https://harvardfores...fgane/specimens

Not for an education unfortunately, but for identification. Not sure if this has been shared before, thought it was interesting.

Interesting, I’ve occasionally visited Harvard’s Museum of Natural History, E. O. Wilson’s office is there. He’s Professor Emeritus of the Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology and a former curator of their Museum of Comparative Zoology. I can’t even find a display related to ants there! It’d be nice to be able to go into town and see an academic presentation of some sort on something I’ve been interested in most of my life  :(  I’ve actually spent the past 30-45 minutes trying to find a virtual lecture or display on our field at Harvard and... nothing! Anyone near Beantown know if any of the other universities around town have anything pubically accessible (virtually for now I’d guess) on myrmecology?

Edited by ConcordAntman, February 28 2021 - 7:08 AM.

#1805 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 28 2021 - 7:19 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Cool! Keep us posted. You guys with big Camponotus colonies make me kind of jealous.

These are the specs I came up with:

Phalanx Annex Dimensions 

• 6”X 2”X 3”
  • No outworld 
  • One-sided Museum glass front
  • One nestmate port on left, one on the back
  • Water tower ports on the back
  • Right-sided 3/8” diameter access tube centered 1-1/4” high and 1-1/4” from back
  • 3/16” thick base, offset 1/8” to the left to mesh with existing Phalanx nest

This is the first of my 3 Phalanx formicaria that I’ve outgrown and it’s taken 3 years! I’ll have to find more shelf space in my book closet and I’m a bit concerned about how heavy it’ll be but hey, I’ve got some free weights hanging around the house. I’ll manage  ;)

Edited by ConcordAntman, February 28 2021 - 7:21 AM.

#1806 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 28 2021 - 7:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Very nice. Did you customize the Phalanx? I’ll probably be needing an annex on my Nucleus III for my Crematogaster megacolony this season.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#1807 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 28 2021 - 8:49 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Just a little customization. Deleting the outworld, the nestmate positions, the water tower ports, the size and position of the access port. The big thing is the baseplate. I don’t think Mack is making the Phalanx with a baseplate anymore. Back in 2018 when I bought mine he was. To make a flush fit and for ease of movement, I want the baseplate on the annex but it’ll need to be offset. I communicated with Mack at weeks end and I’m waiting to confirm pricing. It’s customized enough that I can’t order it through the site. Leaving the outworld selection blank blocks being able to move your order to cart. I mentioned that to Mack too. I can’t wait for it to get made and delivered though. I’m having more of the workers camping out in the outworld while the queen has brood on both levels of the nest. Last year, I could fill a nestmate and have it drain down to 1/2 full in 5-6 days. Now it’s 3/4 empty in 72 hours even while the water towers are adequately filled. I’m thinking a growth spurt is happening!

Edited by ConcordAntman, February 28 2021 - 8:53 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#1808 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 10 2021 - 11:15 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Waiting for the day when someone find a prenolepis queen up here

シグナチャーです。예.

#1809 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 10 2021 - 2:21 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Waiting for the day when someone find a prenolepis queen up here

Back when I was in the antkeeping discord, almost everyone but me found Penolepis and Solenopsis lol.I was lucky to find another crematogaster queen though. They key is to walk in a reliable queen finding location at 1 (early afternoon) for weeks in late summer, and you'll probably find a queen.

Edited by Temperateants, March 10 2021 - 2:21 PM.

• Chickalo likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#1810 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 10 2021 - 2:47 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Hello. I am new to this topic (just found it), but I live in MA also. 

#1811 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 10 2021 - 2:57 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

this topic has been running for a long time and is a general topic, so i would recommend not asking a lot of unnecessary questions in here or making unnecessary posts. This is also good forum advice in general.

#1812 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:02 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

All the ants I have in my yard are Formica Subsericea, which I have a colony of, camponotus Pennsylvanicus, Which I did have 2 colonys of (but....they died), I have lots of nylanderia parvula, which I have a colony of), and tons, and tons, and TONS of these small yellow lasius ants. I have gotten the ID before, but I forgot. They might be theif ants, as I have a colony of them, but they can't be, because every single queen of them I caught, didn't lay eggs. But just walking on my walkway last october I caught at least 30 queens. And none layed eggs :ugone2far: .

#1813 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:04 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

K. Thank for the tip. I live in MA though so I like being able to talk with the other ant keepers from my state.

#1814 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:05 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

this topic has been running for a long time and is a general topic, so i would recommend not asking a lot of unnecessary questions in here or making unnecessary posts. This is also good forum advice in general.

People are active here and he lives there so I don't see the issue.

#1815 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:07 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

All the ants I have in my yard are Formica Subsericea, which I have a colony of, camponotus Pennsylvanicus, Which I did have 2 colonys of (but....they died), I have lots of nylanderia parvula, which I have a colony of), and tons, and tons, and TONS of these small yellow lasius ants. I have gotten the ID before, but I forgot. They might be theif ants, as I have a colony of them, but they can't be, because every single queen of them I caught, didn't lay eggs. But just walking on my walkway last october I caught at least 30 queens. And none layed eggs :ugone2far: .

Well they are either Lasius or thief ants, they can't be both. Lasius wait until after hibernation to lay eggs, so that is why you weren't seeing any. You also need to be patient. Queens will wait for the right conditions to lay and it may take a long time for them to develop.

#1816 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:08 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Oh..... It would of been nice to know that when I caught them...

Next year I will try again.

#1817 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 13 2021 - 5:21 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I’ve got a question. I have a 3 year old bottle of Fluon that I’ve never used. Is it still good or do I need to get a fresh bottle?

#1818 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2021 - 7:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I’ve got a question. I have a 3 year old bottle of Fluon that I’ve never used. Is it still good or do I need to get a fresh bottle?

The suspended particles in fluon can settle over time, but it may still work. It will most likely stop heavy Camponotus.
  • ConcordAntman likes this

#1819 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 15 2021 - 4:25 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Is it best to apply it with a cotton ball or a q-tip?

#1820 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 15 2021 - 5:32 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I use a cotton ball, but I think a q-tip would work also.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users