• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Manitobant’s parasitic lasius minutus journal (with eggs and pics)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 9 2021 - 4:32 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I caught 3 lasius minutus queens in September last year hibernating under a large stone. I gave them lasius pallitarsis hosts and all 3 survived hibernation and have their first clutch of eggs. These queens are absolutely tiny, half the size of an aphidicola queen and very slim. This journal will be documenting their progress as they raise up their first workers, and hopefully the growth of the colonies.

Lasius minutus with eggs

Edited by Manitobant, January 10 2021 - 9:13 AM.

• Swirlysnowflake and MinigunL5 like this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 16 2021 - 12:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

How are these doing?

Ants in Possession:             

Lasius americanus

Nylanderia vividula

Temnothorax rudis                       My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....94qmMPiVKmlVldA             

Pheidole navigans

Cardiocondyla mauritanica

Rioting is the language of the idiotic and ignorant. Discussion is the language of the reasoned.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 16 2021 - 7:29 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

How are these doing?

i put them back into hibernation because they stopped laying and ate their eggs, presumably from lack of hosts. Hosts were also slowly dying. I’ll take them out again in spring.

Edited by Manitobant, March 17 2021 - 6:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users