• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#2121 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 27 2024 - 3:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hey guys, it amazes me to see this thread still active. I was just a middle schooler back then and now I'm an adult with a full time job and that's sort of crazy. I haven't kept ants in years but I've had a bit of a revival in looking for them outside. Hoped to find P. imparis flying today but my ant spotting skills have degraded it appears. Who knows, maybe I'll catch a queen or two this year. Think i'll start posting here from time to time again.

This is one of the best threads on here, and certainly the best regional anting thread. I hope you can start up a new colony or two. It’s a rewarding hobby at any age. I think a more mature approach is to have only a small, manageable number of colonies. Nobody honestly needs twenty different species. That’s a fast track to burn out.
  • noebl1, Nathant2131 and Aquaexploder like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2122 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 27 2024 - 3:45 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Hey guys, it amazes me to see this thread still active. I was just a middle schooler back then and now I'm an adult with a full time job and that's sort of crazy. I haven't kept ants in years but I've had a bit of a revival in looking for them outside. Hoped to find P. imparis flying today but my ant spotting skills have degraded it appears. Who knows, maybe I'll catch a queen or two this year. Think i'll start posting here from time to time again.

This is one of the best threads on here, and certainly the best regional anting thread. I hope you can start up a new colony or two. It’s a rewarding hobby at any age. I think a more mature approach is to have only a small, manageable number of colonies. Nobody honestly needs twenty different species. That’s a fast track to burn out.

1000x This... Pokemon fever is a real thing with keeping ants, and it's total burn out. I keep only 2 -3 species now. One of the ant vendors I know with permits will likely buy the majority of the P. imparis my son is raising once they get to a good place. Definitely won't need so many.

• Nathant2131 and ANTdrew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users