• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2111 replies to this topic

#1761 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 12 2020 - 9:52 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

So I had a bit of a bumper-crop season for Aphaenogaster, believed to be A. fulva and  have some extras for MA people if interested.  I caught 11 this year...  Normally I only catch 2 or 3 and have high attrition or unmated, but this year I had a bunch fly to me as I stood on the deck that has never happened before (very much right place, right time.).  A few of them landed on me which is how I caught them.  Workers already starting to eclose:

vifcCPa.jpg

• Nathant2131, ConcordAntman and ANTdrew like this

#1762 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted October 13 2020 - 12:19 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

In a bit of a quandary here. Of the two colonies I founded this spring (clearly I’m a laggard compared to the rest of you), the C. novaeboracensis are just poking along (6 nanitics with two deaths, 4 survivors despite varying their diet as I’ve done with my other colonies) but the C. pennsylvanicus are thriving (over a dozen nanitics with remaining eggs). Two years ago just prior to diapause, I moved my colonies from my test tube/feeding chamber setups into THA Phalanx formicaria. I’m thinking of doing the same with my current newly founded C. pennsylvanicus but keeping the C. novaeboracensis in the test tube/feeding chamber setup through diapause. What do you think?

For me it's the opposite XD
My Camponoyus novaeboracensis colony has around 35 workers  and a healthy brood pile while my Camponoyus pennsylvanicus queen lost her nanitics and depleted her fat reserves.

• ConcordAntman likes this

#1763 Offline Technomyrmex - Posted October 19 2020 - 3:11 PM

Technomyrmex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi guys,

When do you all start putting your ants into diapause? I am in CT so pretty much same weather. This is my first year so figured id check with locals! 

Most of my queens have slowed down bit now with laying and no more cocoons/pupae left.

Edited by Technomyrmex, October 19 2020 - 3:14 PM.

#1764 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 19 2020 - 4:53 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If you don’t have pupae left, you can put them in hibernation now.
  • TestSubjectOne likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1765 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 22 2020 - 6:51 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

So I had a bit of a bumper-crop season for Aphaenogaster, believed to be A. fulva and  have some extras for MA people if interested.  I caught 11 this year...  Normally I only catch 2 or 3 and have high attrition or unmated, but this year I had a bunch fly to me as I stood on the deck that has never happened before (very much right place, right time.).  A few of them landed on me which is how I caught them.  Workers already starting to eclose:

:o I am sooo not worthy, I’m just hoping my C. novaeboracensis and C. americanus survive diapause!

• noebl1 likes this

#1766 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 22 2020 - 6:53 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

:o I am sooo not worthy, I’m just hoping my C. novaeboracensis and C. americanus survive diapause!

haha if you want one or two, please let me know... all 11 were mated :o. Some are already up to 4 workers.

#1767 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 22 2020 - 9:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You should get one for a break from Camponotus.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#1768 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 22 2020 - 7:05 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Today I put “the girls” down for their winter nap. I decided to leave them in their test tube setups. The pinkish tinge to the water in the C. pennsylvanicus tube was looking a bit rank so I changed it out before I put them down. 

CA0C220C 5D89 48BA BB5A 7DEA962DA339

My May 2018 C. pennsylvanicus are in the 100’s but only 16-17 C. americanus. The C. novaeboracensis I found this May has 4 nanitics (2 died in the summer) and the C. pennsylvanicus perhaps has 15 or more. I think the C. pennsylvanicus will do fine. I’m looking forward to a break and I only have 4 colonies to tend! Like I said, compared to you guys I am sooo not worthy.

Noebl1, let me see what I have when spring rolls around, I might be interested in adopting or buying a colony from you!

Edited by ConcordAntman, October 22 2020 - 7:08 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

#1769 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 12 2020 - 6:48 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Do we have any Nylanderia in MA? If so, which species and where can I find them?

#1770 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 12 2020 - 7:16 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I'm not in your state but i'm sure you do even if it is a invasive species, as to where you can find them I will relate to my experience, October 21st-Found nylaranderia flavipes in moist nest in backyard, as well as a colony of ponera which indicates perfect moist, humid conditions. July something- Found nylaranderia species in front yard in mulch/damp wood chips. So from what i can see is that they like moist humid conditions, but what is even better is you searching. Its best to search so when you find a colony you know where to look next year.

We don’t talk about that

#1771 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 12 2020 - 7:23 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I'm not in your state but i'm sure you do even if it is a invasive species, as to where you can find them I will relate to my experience, October 21st-Found nylaranderia flavipes in moist nest in backyard, as well as a colony of ponera which indicates perfect moist, humid conditions. July something- Found nylaranderia species in front yard in mulch/damp wood chips. So from what i can see is that they like moist humid conditions, but what is even better is you searching. Its best to search so when you find a colony you know where to look next year.

My whole area is moist af and I've seen Ponera workers under rocks.

Edit: Just checked antmaps and Nylanderia flavipes in in MA. Records of them are more towards Boston but hopefully there are some near me cause I live near Worcester with is a decently sized city.

Edited by MinigunL5, November 12 2020 - 7:27 PM.

#1772 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 12 2020 - 8:20 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

The invasive species in my opinion is cooler than other native ones, becauuuuuse they have little mini repletes but the cool thing about these is that their color they ate despite it being yellow or white or whatever turns out red.

• MinigunL5 likes this
We don’t talk about that

#1773 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted November 15 2020 - 6:21 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

So, I’m nearly a month into diapause. It looks like my charges are surviving thus far and I have a question. This is the first time I’ve used the test tube/feeding chamber setup in diapause (see my shot above). The feeding chamber is too shallow to hold the small ByFormica nectar feeders so I’ve trimmed a plastic bottle cap to fit and fill it once every 7-10 days. It’s the best (and least messy) method I could come up with to maintain a calorie source during the winter. Anyone think that’s too much disruption for the colonies?

#1774 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 15 2020 - 8:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Do we have any Nylanderia in MA? If so, which species and where can I find them?

You definitely have Nylanderia in your state. Try black lighting next June, and I bet you’ll find lots of queens.
  • noebl1 and MinigunL5 like this

#1775 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 15 2020 - 8:18 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

You definitely have Nylanderia in your state. Try black lighting next June, and I bet you’ll find lots of queens.

We do for sure, I've never seen any, but Otter in MA usually catches *tons* of them. I think he lurks in here as well.

• ANTdrew likes this

#1776 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 15 2020 - 8:27 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

So, I’m nearly a month into diapause. It looks like my charges are surviving thus far and I have a question. This is the first time I’ve used the test tube/feeding chamber setup in diapause (see my shot above). The feeding chamber is too shallow to hold the small ByFormica nectar feeders so I’ve trimmed a plastic bottle cap to fit and fill it once every 7-10 days. It’s the best (and least messy) method I could come up with to maintain a calorie source during the winter. Anyone think that’s too much disruption for the colonies?

If it's C. pennsylvanicus, during the winter they often will go full on comatose during diapause due to glycerol production.  I tried to find the pic but can't atm, but a few years back was working in the wood pile and found a piece of wood with hundreds of them, with brood, completely immobile and dead looking sitting relatively exposed inside the wood pile.  Not sure how often they take food during diapause, but access to water is a recommended.  I've kept C. nearcticus which are similar and found it similiar; we had a small telephone pole mounted box full of C. nearcticus that would do the same during the winter.   However a 2nd opinion wouldn't hurt here.

#1777 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 15 2020 - 8:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I agree, Noebl1. With full social stomachs, their food needs are basically zero. Renewing the nectar once a month would be more than enough.
  • noebl1 and ConcordAntman like this

#1778 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted November 15 2020 - 8:19 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks! I’ll stretch out the food runs for my colonies a bit then. 

#1779 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted November 22 2020 - 7:03 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Just one hitch though, the nectar feeders in my THA formicaria can easily last a month but the open dishes in the test tube setups evaporate within 10-14 days so I’ve still got to check the colonies at least twice a month to replenish their nectar. The good news is that it seems my charges are surviving so far. 

#1780 Offline Otter - Posted November 22 2020 - 1:58 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

We do for sure, I've never seen any, but Otter in MA usually catches *tons* of them. I think he lurks in here as well.

Heyo yeah I lurk here mostly. Flavipes fly pretty much every day, rain or shine, from early-mid march to late may and can be found pretty much 24/7 although their main flight times are from 8 AM to 3PM. It heavily depends on the temperatures at the time. Best way to find them is find some little pocket of natural area in a city or fairly packed town that stays pretty moist and look around the edges. Stop, crouch, and stare at a small bit of pavement for probably ~1 minute and if you don't see anything go another few feet. You probably won't have to move if you find a good flight spot as they have extremely large localized flights. Two years ago I caught over 200 in about an hour on my front porch in Arlington. The average queen for me gets 15-20 nanitics with the best getting about 30. They are also polygynous although with 8-10 queens you should only expect to get 100 nanitics. You can combine colonies but it doesnt always work.

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users