• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2111 replies to this topic

#1781 Offline Otter - Posted November 22 2020 - 1:58 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

Do we have any Nylanderia in MA? If so, which species and where can I find them?

You definitely have Nylanderia in your state. Try black lighting next June, and I bet you’ll find lots of queens.

We do for sure, I've never seen any, but Otter in MA usually catches *tons* of them. I think he lurks in here as well.

Heyo yeah I lurk here mostly. Flavipes fly pretty much every day, rain or shine, from early-mid march to late may and can be found pretty much 24/7 although their main flight times are from 8 AM to 3PM. It heavily depends on the temperatures at the time. Best way to find them is find some little pocket of natural area in a city or fairly packed town that stays pretty moist and look around the edges. Stop, crouch, and stare at a small bit of pavement for probably ~1 minute and if you don't see anything go another few feet. You probably won't have to move if you find a good flight spot as they have extremely large localized flights. Two years ago I caught over 200 in about an hour on my front porch in Arlington. The average queen for me gets 15-20 nanitics with the best getting about 30. They are also polygynous although with 8-10 queens you should only expect to get 100 nanitics. You can combine colonies but it doesnt always work.
  • noebl1 and ANTdrew like this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#1782 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted January 22 2021 - 1:25 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

So, my 4 colonies went down for their winter naps October 22 and I plan on waking them up in about 9-10 days. Looks like minimal losses (thank goodness). My two C pennsylvanicus have survived as have my C americanus (thanks akaant). Amazingly, the C novaeboracensis survived too though I lost two of the 4 nanitics. There is still a small brood pile of eggs but they look kinda dry. We'll have to see if they pull through. I might have to take you up on the offer you made last fall noebl1! I guess I'll put in an order for some feeder Dubias and crickets too.

I do have some question. Last spring/summer I noticed that my older colonies had a non-pathologic mite infestation (minute sand colored mites not attached to the ants). I think they're grain mites. Since the ants seemed to be fine, I didn't worry too much about them but I'd like to avoid cultivating them. Would a winter in a wine cooler with no protein meals starve them out? And, what about taking out flash frozen feeder Dubias or crickets and giving them a 3 second soak in microwaved (hot tea temperature) water as a preventative?

I'm already looking forward to spring!

• akaant likes this

#1783 Offline akaant - Posted January 22 2021 - 3:16 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

So, my 4 colonies went down for their winter naps October 22 and I plan on waking them up in about 9-10 days. Looks like minimal losses (thank goodness). My two C pennsylvanicus have survived as have my C americanus (thanks akaant). Amazingly, the C novaeboracensis survived too though I lost two of the 4 nanitics. There is still a small brood pile of eggs but they look kinda dry. We'll have to see if they pull through. I might have to take you up on the offer you made last fall noebl1! I guess I'll put in an order for some feeder Dubias and crickets too.

I do have some question. Last spring/summer I noticed that my older colonies had a non-pathologic mite infestation (minute sand colored mites not attached to the ants). I think they're grain mites. Since the ants seemed to be fine, I didn't worry too much about them but I'd like to avoid cultivating them. Would a winter in a wine cooler with no protein meals starve them out? And, what about taking out flash frozen feeder Dubias or crickets and giving them a 3 second soak in microwaved (hot tea temperature) water as a preventative?

I'm already looking forward to spring!

They seem to always come back mid summer but shouldn't be an issue.

I finally got around to making the Camponotus castaneus colony video. enjoy. 

• noebl1, TennesseeAnts and ConcordAntman like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1784 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 22 2021 - 4:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think the grain mites are kind of cyclical. You probably may not notice them now, but they may bloom again midsummer. I definitely recommend dipping feeders in boiling water as a preventative measure.
  • ConcordAntman likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1785 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted January 22 2021 - 6:42 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks ANTdrew, will do. Really nice colony akaant!!

• ANTdrew likes this

#1786 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted January 30 2021 - 12:06 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Aargh! We have 100+ year old house with a fieldstone basement. This polar vortex cold snap forced me to end diapause a day early. My wine cooler diapause unit needs an ambient >= 60 to work normally and keep an internal temperature of 48. With the cold snap, the ambient in the basement was 54 and the cooler dropped to 44. This happened last winter so when I heard the forecast, I kept an eye on the cooler's temp. So, now the girls are warming to 54 for a few days before they get moved up to their home in my mini-library. Rainbow Mealworms notified me my order shipped yesterday so I'll have food for my hungry charges by next week.. . 

• Scherme likes this

#1787 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 31 2021 - 4:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Your local Camponotus could probably take polar vortex temps no problem. Good luck on the new season!
  • noebl1 and Scherme like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#1788 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted January 31 2021 - 8:52 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks buddy!

#1789 Offline Scherme - Posted February 1 2021 - 3:29 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

heh, been a bit chilly up here the past couple days for sure. When did you start to cool em down? I am itching to pull mine out. 

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#1790 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 1 2021 - 7:22 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

heh, been a bit chilly up here the past couple days for sure. When did you start to cool em down? I am itching to pull mine out. 

The ladies went down October 22. I’d planned to bring them out last weekend anyway. The cold snap just bumped it up a day.  The basement’s temp is 52, the cooler is reading 43. I’m expecting crickets and fruit flies to arrive Thursday or Friday. 

#1791 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 1 2021 - 7:25 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Your local Camponotus could probably take polar vortex temps no problem. Good luck on the new season!

This for sure, ANTDrew is so right. Chances are it wasn't an instant drop either in temperature, so would have been fine. I've found wild Camponotus basically completely exposed in cold temperatures, and they do fine, it's what they do :)  In a tree 50 feet up during the winter, at 5F, there's no cold protection there at all.

#1792 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted February 1 2021 - 11:15 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I want to share that there's a Discord server for ant-keepers in Massachusetts. We chat about ants ants and we would love more members. Just please don't join if you're not in Massachusetts.

https://discord.gg/q9grRdT

#1793 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 1 2021 - 12:17 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

SINCE WHEN DID THIS THREAD EXIST!?!?!? :lol:

Edited by Chickalo, February 1 2021 - 12:18 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#1794 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2021 - 12:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This is one of the longest running threads in the forum.
  • noebl1 and TennesseeAnts like this

#1795 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 1 2021 - 12:36 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

SINCE WHEN DID THIS THREAD EXIST!?!?!? :lol:

It amazes me how many MA ant keepers there are considering the size of this state :)

• Chickalo likes this

#1796 Offline akaant - Posted February 1 2021 - 3:02 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

I'm feeling the itch again and may pull out some of my Pheidole colonies soon.

• noebl1, Scherme, ConcordAntman and 2 others like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1797 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 7 2021 - 11:40 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

After a week at 52 degrees in my basement, I brought my colonies up for “Spring cleaning” and watering. The front glass of my Phalanx formicarium with the largest of my colonies needed cleaning. Since the girls were still in cold stupor, I popped off the glass and the queen and 3 of her workers promptly jumped out :o I was able to get them all back in place but it sure wasn’t the way I planned to start :facepalm: Everyone got fresh nectar and fresh water with chopped, boil-thawed, frozen cricket. I even noticed a new C novaeboracensis nanitic. We’ll see how their first month out goes. If things don’t work out, I may have some business for you noebl1.

• ANTdrew likes this

#1798 Offline Bobby_Hill - Posted February 10 2021 - 7:05 AM

Bobby_Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Anyone from vermont?

#1799 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 14 2021 - 6:13 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

So, my colonies are out and surviving so far. My oldest C. pennsylvanicus colony is fairly large and the queen is already busily laying with larvae across the floor of three chambers. I’m noticing a new behavior in the workers from last year. Often, but not always, there are about 10 workers who stay in the outworld 

36B519F7 81C9 4B30 806E 771B0B2513EA

9F73DEE1 2F8C 4E6B A66C C543A567BCE9

Is this a sign of overcrowding? Do I need to consider a larger nest?

• ANTdrew likes this

#1800 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 14 2021 - 6:36 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Anyone from vermont?

Don’t know Bobby? It’s certainly possible though. I just tried the Member Map tab at the top of the page and found that it doesn’t load. Not sure if it’s an iOS glitch or a problem with the website. I’ve posted on the support page so we’ll have to see what Drew has to say about it. I know the ant keeping section of Discord has a New England group so you might check there too. 

BTW, if your name really is Bobby Hill, that was the name of a character in one of my favorite TV shows from back in the day. Hill Street Blues had an ensemble cast and ran from 1981-1987. Good character, good name. Brought back good memories  (y)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users