New tube success!
Still not great at taking pictures, but I think I am getting better.
I first attempted to get them to move while they were still hooked up to the 4 port AC TT portal.
I draped the heating cable over the brand new tube, blocked the light from it and exposed their nest to light.
They didn't budge. I get it might take a while, and of course I got impatient.
So i draped the cable over the end of their tube, and they immediately moved the brood directly under and on the cable.
I figured now that they were closer to the end of the tube, they might discover the new tube with warmth, and move the brood there if i remove the cable from their old tube.
Didn't work. They went right back to where they were. *sigh*.
I started to think the large open space of the portal might deter them. So unhooked it, and used some connectors to pretty much connect the tubes directly, re exposed their nest to light, and covered up the new tube.
I watched as 1 runner, one of the first non-nanitic worker, discovered the new tube. She RAN back and forth for a bit, almost looked as if she was trying to convince her sisters to move. They were not into it. So she alone start moving the brood.
She worked hard, stirring up the rest of the nest. They eventually started investigating, and even started bring brood BACK. The pace slowly picked up, other worker got on board and I watched for hours as they worked.
With the nest almost cleared, the workers started bugging the queen. Pestering her. She would get down from the ball of cotton, take a few steps in the right directly then promptly turn around and return to her curled position.
Eventually they got to her. Watching her move was amazing. It was around 1am at this point, my feet hurt from standing. It really is crazy how much bigger she is than they are.
I disconnected the old nest once it was clear, reconnected the outworld with some honey in it in case they needed a bit of energy, but otherwise I would give them a few days to settle in.
My uncle got me these TINY little ceramic dishes. They aren't made for ants, but they work perfectly. Honey is in one, and a bit of wet cat food went in the other. I have found these guys eating my cats food in the past.
With a new tube, comes an attempt at some clear pics, so here they are:
I even made a quick animation. Several fresh eclosures can be seen. I dig it.
I must have miscounted workers previously. Or double counted. This pic puts me somewhere between 14-16.
Edited by Scherme, August 20 2020 - 5:09 PM.