• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Northern/Southern Pennsylvania Anting

#anting #queen ants #alates de-alates males queens nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 6 2024 - 4:54 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
If you found alates or de-alates near, or in the Pennsylvania area, report it here.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, March 8 2024 - 8:38 AM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 8 2024 - 8:45 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Two P. imparis alates found under a wood piece. Hopefullly they are both fertile. We’ll just have to wait and see

Attached Images

• IMG_1350.jpeg

• futurebird likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 15 2024 - 8:04 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Beautiful weather in Pa right now. Hoping to catch some Camponotus (preferably C. Pennsylvanicus but more C. chromaiodes will do). Any other species would be really nice!

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#4 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 16 2024 - 3:57 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
No way! I found an active post in the Anting subforum that isn’t from California! How do you find so many P. imparis? I can barely find workers.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#5 Offline futurebird - Posted April 16 2024 - 6:04 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

P. imparis is easy to spot because they are golden in the sunlight and they have this distinctive waddle. The queens always seem so harried and freaked out running along looking for a place to hide. I hope your queens do well. It does seem to be their time in the region. 

They have such big round gasters for their bodies and such dainty little legs. Not made to run, but still run they must! waddle waddle waddle. I think they are pretty cute as queens go. 

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#6 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 16 2024 - 2:12 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

No way! I found an active post in the Anting subforum that isn’t from California! How do you find so many P. imparis? I can barely find workers.

Look under or around forested areas and woodlands. You’ll find a whole bunch of them! My place isn’t covered with them; but they are still around in multiple locations. Look after days with rain or thunderstorms. The temp has to be about 70º F for them to fly. They hate lower temps like 50 or 60 even after good rains. Workers look like a larger version of Lasius; they have larger gasters which are in the same shape; but they also have larger and longer legs unlike that of Lasius workers. You’ll see what I mean if you see them in person. No wonder they are in the same tribe (Lasiini)…
  • futurebird and The_Gaming-gate like this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#7 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted April 17 2024 - 11:15 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I still can't find them I see workers everywhere and even dead males but I still can't find queens. Even in forested areas.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#8 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 17 2024 - 12:22 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I still can't find them I see workers everywhere and even dead males but I still can't find queens. Even in forested areas.

Mb. I forgot to mention that they live near open fields that are right next to forested areas (that where I find mine) or fields that are at least a couple hundred or so feet away from one. You can find them on meadows still but they typically prefer nesting near wooded areas for the multiple resources available. They do not prefer higher temps to fly once again, and they do not prefer high temps to forage either. Mine only FLY in the 70º F range. As I stated before (and I’m completely wrong on this) they will forage at lower temps, like at 40º F which is crazy. But if you want to find workers; look in temps at 50 or 60º F range and look for queens after some good rain and humidity percentage at about 30 - 40% with 70º F temperature range.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #anting #queen ants #alates, de-alates, males, queens, nuptial flight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users