• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#1741 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 23 2020 - 11:12 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

In less than 24 hours have caught a few Lasius (saw a bunch, but didn't bother to keep), 11 Aphaenogaster, 2 Crematogaster and 3 Solenopsis queens.  Yesterday I saw I believe Ponera breeding as well, but didn't grab as not worth the aggravation.  So many dead males everywhere of difference species.

• Devi likes this

#1742 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 23 2020 - 11:15 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

xTOvv7G.jpgaePePMi.jpgRaeCRT6.jpgncJFkra.jpgFwf7YZx.jpg

• SabbyMae likes this

#1743 Offline SabbyMae - Posted August 23 2020 - 2:18 PM

SabbyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFitchburg, MA

In less than 24 hours have caught a few Lasius (saw a bunch, but didn't bother to keep), 11 Aphaenogaster, 2 Crematogaster and 3 Solenopsis queens.  Yesterday I saw I believe Ponera breeding as well, but didn't grab as not worth the aggravation.  So many dead males everywhere of difference species.

So jealous. All I could find were Lasius! And they were everywhere!

#1744 Offline Devi - Posted August 23 2020 - 2:21 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Dude, I really wish I could buy an Aphaenogaster from you! One of my absolute favorites.  I hope I can get my hands on one someday.  Nice job!  Thanks for sharing. :)

• noebl1 likes this

#1745 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 23 2020 - 2:32 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Dude, I really wish I could buy an Aphaenogaster from you! One of my absolute favorites.  I hope I can get my hands on one someday.  Nice job!  Thanks for sharing. :)

I mean you do have P. occidentalis there in Denver which I love, kinda like bigger Aphaenogaster :D

• Devi likes this

#1746 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 23 2020 - 2:54 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Still early in the season, still a few more weeks left for flights :)  Been to Fitchburg several times as didn't live far from there and had friends live there.  Guessing in the Spring you should see P. imparis and Tetramorium, Camponotus if you find a wooded area, maybe the Westminster or Ashby sides may have luck for Aphaenogaster.

#1747 Offline SabbyMae - Posted August 23 2020 - 3:22 PM

SabbyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFitchburg, MA

Still early in the season, still a few more weeks left for flights :)  Been to Fitchburg several times as didn't live far from there and had friends live there.  Guessing in the Spring you should see P. imparis and Tetramorium, Camponotus if you find a wooded area, maybe the Westminster or Ashby sides may have luck for Aphaenogaster.

I already have both Camponotus and Tetramorium colonies. Aphaenogaster would be really nice to have because they're a good medium size in my opinion.

• noebl1 likes this

#1748 Offline SabbyMae - Posted August 24 2020 - 1:33 PM

SabbyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFitchburg, MA

My back yard right now.

20200824 172317
20200824 172119
20200824 171708

• noebl1, Nathant2131, Scherme and 1 other like this

#1749 Offline akaant - Posted August 24 2020 - 5:18 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

Today I found 2-3 lasius species,Brachymyrmex, 2 species of Aphaenogaster, Myrmica sp ,Crematogaster sp, and Strumigenys sp a first for me.

• ConcordAntman and SabbyMae like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1750 Offline SabbyMae - Posted August 26 2020 - 9:16 AM

SabbyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFitchburg, MA

I was flipping over some rocks in my back yard looking for some Ponera to house with the one I found yesterday when I stumbled across a few Solenopsis molesta queens. One is wearing the heads of her rivals as shoulder pads.

20200826_123906.jpg

• noebl1 and Nathant2131 like this

#1751 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted August 26 2020 - 9:56 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Oh No! Better watch out cockroaches, the Ant-Reivers from Firefly are comin' for you next  :shock:

• SabbyMae likes this

#1752 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 26 2020 - 10:01 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I was flipping over some rocks in my back yard looking for some Ponera to house with the one I found yesterday when I stumbled across a few Solenopsis molesta queens. One is wearing the heads of her rivals as shoulder pads.

haha I once found a C. americanus queen in a Fall ejection due to drought with the severed head of Camponotus major locked on to her antenna... the stories they could tell if they could talk :)

• Nathant2131 and SabbyMae like this

#1753 Offline SabbyMae - Posted August 29 2020 - 8:35 AM

SabbyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFitchburg, MA

One of my Lasius brevicornis queens has layed! BABIES!

20200829 123122
20200829 123057

• noebl1 likes this

#1754 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 29 2020 - 8:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That queen is thiiiick!
  • Temperateants and SabbyMae like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1755 Offline Temperateants - Posted August 29 2020 - 10:48 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Welp, wasn't as lucky as you guys, with your fancy valentine ants, but I did somehow find a camponotous dealate which may or may not be mated. She has no wings, hoping it was some sort of tiny nuptial.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#1756 Offline SabbyMae - Posted September 3 2020 - 3:35 PM

SabbyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFitchburg, MA

Anyone else's yard covered in Lasius?

20200903 193207

#1757 Offline SabbyMae - Posted September 4 2020 - 11:36 AM

SabbyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFitchburg, MA

I caught a Stigmatomma pallipes queen the other day and I found that I am not prepared to keep this species. I would prefer to rehome her rather than release her. If anyone is interested, let me know. I also have 11 Lasius brevicornis/nearcticus queens if interested.

Massachusetts only!

Edited by SabbyMae, September 4 2020 - 11:39 AM.

#1758 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted September 18 2020 - 3:43 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I caught a Stigmatomma pallipes queen the other day and I found that I am not prepared to keep this species. I would prefer to rehome her rather than release her. If anyone is interested, let me know. I also have 11 Lasius brevicornis/nearcticus queens if interested.

Massachusetts only!

DM me on Discord at MinigunL5#6948

#1759 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 3 2020 - 8:06 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

In a bit of a quandary here. Of the two colonies I founded this spring (clearly I’m a laggard compared to the rest of you), the C. novaeboracensis are just poking along (6 nanitics with two deaths, 4 survivors despite varying their diet as I’ve done with my other colonies) but the C. pennsylvanicus are thriving (over a dozen nanitics with remaining eggs). Two years ago just prior to diapause, I moved my colonies from my test tube/feeding chamber setups into THA Phalanx formicaria. I’m thinking of doing the same with my current newly founded C. pennsylvanicus but keeping the C. novaeboracensis in the test tube/feeding chamber setup through diapause. What do you think?

#1760 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 3 2020 - 9:56 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Anyone else's yard covered in Lasius?

For the first time in years I missed their flights.......

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)