• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Native Plants and Ants Journal

native plants

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#161 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 17 2020 - 7:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Any advice on Christmas cacti? My mom got one and it's not doing to well. It was looking wilted at first but it had plenty of water. Don't think it was over watered though. Then we put it outside and it got sunburned. :facepalm:

Zygocactus are native to tropical South America. I just keep mine in bright indirect light and water it once a week. I put it out under a roof on my patio all summer and into the fall. The flower buds start forming in response to the shorter daylight. I can’t think of too much else in terms of advice.
  • Ants_Dakota and M_Ants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#162 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 18 2020 - 3:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
M_Ants, I thought of a few other things you could try tied to raising humidity for the plant: mist it with a spray bottle a few times everyday. Consider raising humidity by having a humidifier running near the plant, or you could put a dish with rocks in it and fill that with a bit of water.
Finally, all my plants do way better when I water them with chlorine free rain water, or you can let tap water sit uncovered for 24 hours to let the chlorine dissipate.
  • Ants_Dakota and M_Ants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#163 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 18 2020 - 6:06 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

some of my cacti died because of the poor soil. 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#164 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 25 2021 - 9:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 1-25-2021

New year, new seeds for my garden! I finally got around to doing my winter sowing yesterday, which I find is a great exercise in hope. Most native plants in my area need a period of cold dampness to break down germination inhibiting chemicals within the seeds. Sowing seeds outside a few months before spring is the easiest and most natural way of accomplishing this cold stratification. Since almost all of these seeds (except for the Echinacea) are either gathered from my garden or other natural areas, I paid next to nothing for this project. I have several new species (new species underlined below) I'm trying out this year along with my ride-or-die favorites. Creating and preserving robust native plant communities is the best thing we can do for native ants and all wildlife.

2021 Species list:

Serviceberry (Amelanchier canadensis)

Eastern prickly pear cactus (Opuntia humifusa)

Zig-zag goldenrod (Solidago flexicaulis)

Wild blue baptisia (Baptisia australis)

Carolina jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens)

Narrow leaved mountain mint (Pycnanthemum tenuifolium)

Dogbane (Apocynum cannabinum)

Wild basil (Clinopodium vulgare)

Anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum)

Purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)

I'm also anxiously awaiting to see if my bloodroot seeds I gathered last May will germinate soon. I'm liable to spontaneously do a backflip if they do. Hope springs eternal.

• AnthonyP163, Scherme, Devi and 1 other like this

#165 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 25 2021 - 4:51 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

how should i figure out what plants to, well, plant

シグナチャーです。예.

#166 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 25 2021 - 5:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

how should i figure out what plants to, well, plant

I think almost every plant I highlight in this journal would also be native to your state. There are many great books that would help as well, eg, Pollinators of Native Plants by Heather Holm.

Edited by ANTdrew, January 25 2021 - 7:54 PM.

• Chickalo likes this

#167 Offline Scherme - Posted January 25 2021 - 6:47 PM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA
May 2021 be the Year of the Bloodroot!
  • ANTdrew likes this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#168 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 25 2021 - 7:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

May 2021 be the Year of the Bloodroot!

Failure is NOT an option.
  • Devi likes this

#169 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 26 2021 - 7:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

1-26-2021

This is what cold-moist stratification looks like! There are dynamic processes going on even under this frigid coating:

I cover the pots with mosquito netting to discourage rodents from pilfering seeds. That's all there is to it.

• Chickalo likes this

#170 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2021 - 6:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-1-2021

Meteorological spring is here for the lower latitudes, and I'm ready for it! I have some really exciting news for this update: despite a relatively cold February, my bloodroot, Sanguinea canadensis,  seeds have germinated! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I gathered these seeds last spring using panty-hose seed traps on the seeds pods of plants at my local nature center. This is the primary example of an ant-disbursed seed in North America. I've wanted to propagate these for many years, but could never time my seed collection right before the ephemeral plants disappear for the season. Pandemic lock-downs gave me the precious gift of time last spring to do so.

IMG 9225

Another spring ephemeral I've planted is also germinating: Claytonia virginica  or spring beauty. I use the old salad box technique plus lots of patience for germinating all my spring ephemeral seeds. More to come! 

(Note: Sadly all the previous photos were deleted in this journal due to terrible mistake I made a few weeks ago)

Edited by ANTdrew, March 1 2021 - 6:59 AM.

• Scherme and Antkeeper01 like this

#171 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 1 2021 - 7:39 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

us upper latitudes...19 degrees f

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#172 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 1 2021 - 8:05 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

us upper latitudes...19 degrees f

It was actually 47 degrees F here, despite being up north.

#173 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2021 - 9:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
We’re getting to 56 today, then down to the 20s at night.

#174 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 1 2021 - 12:07 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

We’re getting to 56 today, then down to the 20s at night.

LUCKY!!!

• ANTdrew likes this

#175 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2021 - 1:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I accomplish germinating a really difficult wildflower, and everyone just talks about the weather. Lol
  • NickAnter likes this

#176 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 1 2021 - 7:47 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I'd be glad to donate plants, but I actually didn't raise too many this year. I could easily dig up volunteers and propagate things, though.  

If you are sharing propagations, I'd love to get some of that yucca.  I can share some cuttings with you as well.  I have mostly house plants and succulants but would be glad to share cuttings with anyone interested in trading.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#177 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 2 2021 - 7:44 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I accomplish germinating a really difficult wildflower, and everyone just talks about the weather. Lol

Sorry I had to go back a few pages to remember what bloodroot was. I need that for my Aphaenogaster that I will inevitably get.

#178 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 2 2021 - 3:36 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

This journal is really interesting, it's impressive to see the effect native plants can have.

• ANTdrew likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#179 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 21 2021 - 2:42 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

My Mom Okayed me doing this in a space in the backyard!  I hope I will finally get ants there...  Time to do some research!  Can't wait to count the native species

• ANTdrew likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#180 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 21 2021 - 3:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s awesome man! I’d start by surveying what you already have. Best things to add would be partridge pea, Rudbeckia hirta, milkweeds, goldenrods, and perennial sunflowers. Native vines are really helpful, too.
  • Chickalo likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: native plants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users