• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Native Plants and Ants Journal

native plants

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#121 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 9-21-2020

Temperatures have dropped a lot in Virginia, and that means there isn't much time left for my perennials. I'm enjoying the last show of all the asters and goldenrods, though. All sorts of bees and butterflies are staying active, even in the cool conditions.

Prenolepis impairs have also activated again! I found tons of them foraging on a particular milkweed plant that is kind of by itself next to my Solidago juncea plants. There aren't any aphids I can see on the plant, so I'm not sure what exactly is drawing them, but there must be something of interest. You got to love Prenolepis.

• AntsDakota and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#122 Offline Devi - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:20 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Update 9-21-2020

Temperatures have dropped a lot in Virginia, and that means there isn't much time left for my perennials. I'm enjoying the last show of all the asters and goldenrods, though. All sorts of bees and butterflies are staying active, even in the cool conditions.

Prenolepis impairs have also activated again! I found tons of them foraging on a particular milkweed plant that is kind of by itself next to my Solidago juncea plants. There aren't any aphids I can see on the plant, so I'm not sure what exactly is drawing them, but there must be something of interest. You got to love Prenolepis.

Nice!  I have a garden with lots of flowers I plant each year, and they have been getting progressively worse as it gets colder.  :(  It is really interesting how much ants interact with the plants.  :)  I like your assortment!

• ANTdrew likes this

#123 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:24 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

My ants love milkweed aphids. They battle over them every year!

• ANTdrew likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#124 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:40 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Those Prenolepis imparis have beautiful colors.

Edited by AnthonyP163, September 21 2020 - 10:40 AM.

• CheetoLord02 and ANTdrew like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#125 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 22 2020 - 4:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes, the Prenolepis are a lovely reddish color.

Helianthus tuberosus, or Jerusalem artichokes are in full bloom. I consider this a great ant plant, but it's a real thug in the garden. Plant with caution.

Edited by ANTdrew, September 22 2020 - 5:01 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#126 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 29 2020 - 6:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

9-29-2020

Just a cool photo of a big mantis I saw on Sunday hunting amid my Asters. I guess folks would call this a "beneficial insect" even though they're not native. I'm still a little bit salty about that term and the majority of insects it excludes, such as ants. Mantids are just awesome, regardless.

• CheetoLord02, AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#127 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 29 2020 - 7:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

wish we had mantis around here.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#128 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 30 2020 - 10:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Update 9-30-2020

It's salamander season again in my yard! I found three red-backed salamanders under some logs today as I was looking for crickets for my colonies. These salamanders hide out deep underground most of the hot, dry months and come up around now to mate. They actually peak in December in my yard, especially on unseasonably warm nights following rain. Their favorite food is termites, so they have plenty of those in the rotten wood I've filled my yard with. I've loved these things since I was a little boy:

It's a wonder to me that any amphibians can survive our toxic planet.

Edited by ANTdrew, September 30 2020 - 3:52 PM.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, Ants_Dakota and 2 others like this

#129 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 30 2020 - 10:26 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

wish i had salamanders in my yard.

• Devi likes this

#130 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 30 2020 - 11:51 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Update 9-30-2020

It's salamander season again in my yard! I found three red-backed salamanders under some logs today as I was looking for crickets for my colonies. These salamanders hide out deep underground most of the hot, dry months and come up around now to mate. They actually peak in December in my yard, especially on unseasonably warm nights following rain. Their favorite food is termites, so they have plenty of those in the rotten wood I've filled my yard with. I've loved this things since I was a little boy:

It's a wonder to me that any amphibians can survive our toxic planet.

I have one of those! They are Eastern red-backed salamanders.
  • Devi likes this

#131 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 5 2020 - 7:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-5-2020

I was getting pretty worried that I hadn't seen a rough green snake in my garden yet this year. I finally saw one yesterday, though! It was actually in the front of the house, which is interesting because that's where all the disruption happened due to my foundation repairs. I picked it up and moved it back into the thicker, weedier parts of my native jungle. These snakes are very docile and very beautiful.

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts, TechAnt and 1 other like this

#132 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 5 2020 - 7:32 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Update 10-5-2020

I was getting pretty worried that I hadn't seen a rough green snake in my garden yet this year. I finally saw one yesterday, though! It was actually in the front of the house, which is interesting because that's where all the disruption happened due to my foundation repairs. I picked it up and moved it back into the thicker, weedier parts of my native jungle. These snakes are very docile and very beautiful.

I love all snakes, but Rough Green Snakes have a special place in my heart....

• ANTdrew and Devi like this

#133 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 5 2020 - 8:30 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Update 10-5-2020

all we have is boring gardener snakes...I would live a emerald green snake that lived around here.

• Devi likes this

#134 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 5 2020 - 9:16 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
I have a snake that isn’t a gardener snake it’s like a black ish brown stripe down the middle and a dark green everywhere else with like a triangle head.
We don’t talk about that

#135 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 5 2020 - 10:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Perhaps a ribbon snake?

#136 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 5 2020 - 10:36 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Definitely not, it’s pretty fast and is kinda long about 2 feet long.
We don’t talk about that

#137 Offline Devi - Posted October 5 2020 - 10:56 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Update 10-5-2020

all we have is boring gardener snakes...I would live a emerald green snake that lived around here.

Same. :(

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#138 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:00 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

GARTER snakes, not gardener snakes as many people call them, are actually pretty neat. Also, green snakes are insectivores, so that's another thing going for them. Wouldn't have to feed them mice.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#139 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:45 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

GARTER snakes, not gardener snakes as many people call them, are actually pretty neat. Also, green snakes are insectivores, so that's another thing going for them. Wouldn't have to feed them mice.

sorry! garter snakes it is!

#140 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 6 2020 - 3:31 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
I think they can be called gardener snakes just because so many people call them that, but it is officially garter snake.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: native plants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users