• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Native Plants and Ants Journal

native plants

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#141 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 6:02 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I think they can be called gardener snakes just because so many people call them that, but it is officially garter snake.

well, thanks for telling me that. i would like to call them by their real name!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#142 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 8:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-6-2020

I observed another ant-plant interaction yesterday that I wanted to document. Prenolepis imparis have recently reactivated in my yard, and I noticed a bunch of them drinking nectar on my goldenrods (Solidago juncea). They must be tanking up on sugars for the winter months ahead. You can see several of them here next to male Bombus impatiens dozing on the flowers waiting for queens to come by. What a lazy existence male bees lead!

I'm also starting to gather as much partridge pea seeds as I can. Since it is an annual, I start over every year with fresh seeds. I really love the square, shiny look of these legume seeds. They taste good, too, actually.

• TechAnt and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#143 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 6 2020 - 8:46 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

If I were a Preno worker and I sort of just, bumped into a big bee. I would be scared.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#144 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 9:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

LOL! For sure. Huge carpenter bees would be even scarier.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#145 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 9:19 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

LOL! For sure. Huge carpenter bees would be even scarier.

hmmm. but if you were a novaeboracensis major, would you still be scared? who so you think would win?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#146 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 6 2020 - 9:24 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Carpenter ant majors are huge but they would still be scared because those bees are way bigger. i could see if there were 2 majors and that one bee in a little space but otherwise if they weren't they would just ruuuuuuun!

We don’t talk about that

#147 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 9:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

That's a good question. Carpenter bees are way bigger and can fly. I'd put my money on them.

#148 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 9:53 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

i will have to see carpenter bees then!

#149 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 10:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Here's one, Xylocopa virginica

They get over an inch in size.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#150 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 10:08 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Here's one, Xylocopa virginica

They get over an inch in size.

yikes. the ant would loose for sure.

#151 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2020 - 4:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-9-2020

I've counted 33 adult monarch butterflies flying around my area, but this is the first caterpillar I've found this year. It is on one of my few Asclepias tuberosa plants. It's probably pretty late in the season for this one to make it to Mexico, but still cool to see.

• Devi likes this

#152 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 9 2020 - 4:54 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

I have a late caterpillar to but it doesn't look like its from a kids book, Hopefully they cocoon soon.

We don’t talk about that

#153 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 9 2020 - 4:56 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Also i have a ton of hawk moth caterpillars in the early spring and summer they come out and basically swarm, i think i caught around 150 in one day.

We don’t talk about that

#154 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 16 2020 - 6:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Just wanted some place to FLEX my holiday cactus because it's better than ever. I fed the heck out of it this summer.

Everything else is going dormant in my yard, and we'll finally get frost this week probably. I'll be starting up some new seeds soon, so stay tuned.

• Ants_Dakota, Swirlysnowflake, TechAnt and 1 other like this

#155 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 8:53 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

looks amazing! 

#156 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 17 2020 - 6:02 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Any advice on Christmas cacti? My mom got one and it's not doing to well. It was looking wilted at first but it had plenty of water. Don't think it was over watered though. Then we put it outside and it got sunburned.   :facepalm:

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#157 Offline Devi - Posted December 17 2020 - 6:12 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Wow!  I just saw that cactus.  Dude!  That's so cool!  What kind is it?  I've been wanting to start taking care of some succulents or houseplants.  Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated.  Thanks.  :)

#158 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 17 2020 - 6:35 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

It's a Christmas cactus. I'm pretty sure they aren't actually cacti and are found in tropical climates.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#159 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 17 2020 - 6:48 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I need to get one of those. I have started the third arrowhead vine in my room though(all started off a plant that started over 25 years ago).

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#160 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 17 2020 - 6:52 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I'm going to make a bonsai out of one assuming it doesn't die.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: native plants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users