• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinders Camponotus Sansabeanus

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 26 2020 - 11:10 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Today I purchased a new queen from LosAnteles.  She was collected in February in Griffith Park.  She will ship out tomorrow.  I'm very excited to be able to keep this species.

Edited by BugFinder, April 26 2020 - 8:01 PM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline MsTesaAnt - Posted April 26 2020 - 7:45 PM

MsTesaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm excited for you!  Good luck. :yahoo:

• BugFinder likes this

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 26 2020 - 8:01 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

thanks!  I'm really excited too!  I just ran into her on accident on here and stumbled across that colony and fell in love with it.  I hope I'm able to raise it to maturity!!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 27 2020 - 4:36 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I was notified today that one pupae eclosed, so there should be 1 worker when she arrives.  She was mailed today, I should have her on Thursday.  As soon as my new digital microscope arrives I'll post some photos of her.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 27 2020 - 5:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Congrats! Good luck!
  • BugFinder likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 29 2020 - 11:26 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

The Queen arrived today, seems healthy and happy, has larvae, pupae, and 1 worker.  She is gorgeous.  Largest queen I've ever seen, also the most colorful.  I'm really going to enjoy keeping this colony.    As soon as my new microscope arrives I'll post some pictures for you.

• Boog likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 29 2020 - 11:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck!
  • BugFinder likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 1:48 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I pulled her out to feed her and discovered a second worker has eclosed.  Judging by the way she looks, I think she just eclosed within the last few hours.  She is very new.   

I put a dab of honey on the cotton ball and put them away again.  When the small plastic box I purchsed to use as an outworld arrives, I will remove that cotton and put the tube in the outworld.  and give them some fresih honey in a feeding dish.  I also have ByFormica Sunburst on the way incase they don't like the honey.

Edited by BugFinder, May 2 2020 - 1:48 PM.

• YsTheAnt and Boog like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 8 2020 - 8:08 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I checked on the ants today.  5 workers!  I can't tell if there are more pupa or not because it looks like the queen has the old pupa casts piled on top of the egg pile and she is sitting on all of that for some reason.  It looks like there is at least one pupa left that hasn't eclosed, and I saw at least one larvae, but she is so large, it's hard to see exactly what is there while she is sitting on top of all of it.   

I moved their tube into an outworld, and removed the cotton, and added some honey so they can eat.  They haven't explored the outworld yet.   I've seen one worker crawling on the outworld lid, but I don't think they have really explored it and found the honey yet.

IMG-0304.jpg

IMG-0309.jpg

IMG-0345.jpg

Edited by BugFinder, May 8 2020 - 8:19 PM.

• YsTheAnt and Kaelwizard like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 10 2020 - 4:06 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

20200510.jpg

• Kaelwizard and Somethinghmm like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#11 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:09 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I checked on the ants today, they seem to be doing ok.  it looks like they have eaten about half of the honey I gave them.  still 5 workers, a couple pupae, and some larvae.  I suspect they need protein to continue thriving, so I smashed a cricket and put it in the outworld.  they mobbed it right away, so I'm guessing that's what they needed.  Hopefully the protein will get her laying eggs again.

• TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard and OhNoNotAgain like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#12 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted June 3 2020 - 9:24 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Oh wow, hungry salsas!

I wish my sansabeanus would have acted so eager for protein. (I'm still not sure what I did wrong with them - maybe not cool enough diapause.)

They are such big, beautiful ants with personality (do tell us if your queen is as aggressive as mine - I love her attitude, just not her food pickiness).

Keep us posted!

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, June 3 2020 - 9:24 AM.

• BugFinder likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#13 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 14 2020 - 9:36 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I checked on the colony today.  8 workers now.  the cricket I put in there has about 25% left.   They seem to be doing well, although I seemed to have panicked them when I checked on them.    They seem to panick really easily.

I had been worried the temps may have gotten too hot for them (it was in the 100s here for about a week) but they seem to have made it through that just fine.

• Kaelwizard likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 15 2020 - 2:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ants drink up the juices from inside an insect. Once it’s dry, they ignore it and they leave behind most of the exoskeleton. Maybe I’m misreading, but don’t wait for the entire cricket to disappear before feeding again.
  • BugFinder likes this

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 15 2020 - 7:01 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

They seem to be doing excellently. Good luck!

• BugFinder likes this

#16 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 15 2020 - 9:14 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Ants drink up the juices from inside an insect. Once it’s dry, they ignore it and they leave behind most of the exoskeleton. Maybe I’m misreading, but don’t wait for the entire cricket to disappear before feeding again.

thank you for that!

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#17 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 20 2020 - 8:20 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I checked on them today.  there are 9 workers today.  I removed the old cricket, and put a fresh cricket in.  they don't seeem to be eating the honey now that I'm feeding crickets so I'm thinking about removing the honey to prevent mold.  They seem to be doing well, although they panicked again when I checked on them.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#18 Offline BugFinder - Posted September 18 2020 - 11:37 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Bad news.....   On 9/3 while I was at work, I got a call that my mother was being placed into hospice care.  Shocked and surprised I left work early, grabbed my family, and hit the road hoping ot make it to see her before she died.   We didn't get to see her before she died, bu we spent latbor day weekend there with family.

Of course while we were gone, we had an unuusally hot weekend, record setting temperatures, and when I returned home I discovered that I had lost my ant colony too.  A really bad weekend became evern worse.

I'm hoping to start again next spring with another one of these queens.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#19 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 18 2020 - 12:22 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Edited by Antkeeper01, September 18 2020 - 12:23 PM.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#20 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 18 2020 - 12:59 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Bad news.....   On 9/3 while I was at work, I got a call that my mother was being placed into hospice care.  Shocked and surprised I left work early, grabbed my family, and hit the road hoping ot make it to see her before she died.   We didn't get to see her before she died, bu we spent latbor day weekend there with family.

Of course while we were gone, we had an unuusally hot weekend, record setting temperatures, and when I returned home I discovered that I had lost my ant colony too.  A really bad weekend became evern worse.

I'm hoping to start again next spring with another one of these queens.

That’s terrible, I’m sorry for your losses

• BugFinder likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users