• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antproof Cabinets

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Kevin - Posted January 2 2017 - 4:45 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Disaster!

I just tried standing this thing up and it immediately collapsed into a pile of twisted metal!

SS%20316.JPG

I was correct.

• Californian Anter likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#42 Offline r.shirillz - Posted January 2 2017 - 5:17 PM

r.shirillz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Now have fun getting to the back legs to re apply your barrier of choice when the time comes, unless you have some way around that lol.

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 2 2017 - 8:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Now have fun getting to the back legs to re apply your barrier of choice when the time comes, unless you have some way around that lol.

You apply it before putting the cabinet in place.

#44 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 2 2017 - 9:17 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Good job!

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 8 2017 - 5:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I welded the washers to the bolt heads today. It was actually my first time welding. This is the last one I did. I won't show you the first one haha.

med_gallery_2_687_748294.jpg

Painted and plastic slider added.

med_gallery_2_687_324710.jpg

med_gallery_2_687_42929.jpg
  • dermy, Batspiderfish and FSTP like this

#46 Offline FSTP - Posted January 8 2017 - 5:14 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Wow for first time those are incredibly competent welds. 

What type of welder did you use?

#47 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 8 2017 - 10:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thanks. Do you mean the brand?

#48 Offline FSTP - Posted January 8 2017 - 10:33 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Thanks. Do you mean the brand?

Yes, I probably should have clarified.

Edited by FSTP, January 8 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#49 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 8 2017 - 1:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Apparently it's a Lincoln.

#50 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 8 2017 - 6:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
So I collected thousands of Argentine ants and put them in a Fluon-covered tub. I dropped one of the cabinet legs in there, and to my surprise the stupid ants walked right up them. As you can imagine, this is going to be a bit of a problem. I guess the metal bolt, while it feels pretty smooth, is just not smooth enough. What I'm going to have to do is put acrylic tubing around each bolt.

Before wasting anymore time, I'm going to fully test this first. I cut a piece of acrylic rod the exact same diameter and length as the tubing I would put over the bolts would be, and dipped it in Fluon. Once dry, I set the rod in the bin of Argentine ants and put something on top of it that the Argentine ants can't resist--a dead cricket. Now to wait and see if they ever reach the prize.

med_gallery_2_687_1441980.jpg

#51 Offline FSTP - Posted January 8 2017 - 7:30 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

So did you just go out side your apartment with an aspirator and suck these up? 

Looks like the ants are sacrificing that cricket to one of their gods. 

Let hope this one works.

Edited by FSTP, January 8 2017 - 7:30 PM.

#52 Offline Leo - Posted January 8 2017 - 7:38 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

kill the argentine ants >=)

#53 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 8 2017 - 7:39 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Good luck! ^Lol they do look like Aztecs killing the cricket by ripping it's heart out and offering to the Sun god Drew.

• Serafine likes this

YJK

#54 Offline Serafine - Posted January 9 2017 - 3:43 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Good luck! ^Lol they do look like Aztecs killing the cricket by ripping it's heart out and offering to the Sun god Drew.

Lol, I though something similar. This really looks like a sacrificial pit, let's hope they can't climb it.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#55 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 9 2017 - 7:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

As gleeful I was to see every single one of these Argentine ants dead this morning, it cut my test pretty short. I wonder why they all died within twelve hours of putting them in that tub. Desiccation?

#56 Offline XZero38 - Posted January 9 2017 - 9:46 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

As gleeful I was to see every single one of these Argentine ants dead this morning, it cut my test pretty short. I wonder why they all died within twelve hours of putting them in that tub. Desiccation?

you should really keep desiccant packs out of your ant boxes

#57 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 10 2017 - 10:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
So I tried putting 3/8 ID acrylic tubing over the bolts, but it was just too small. Drilling it out to make the ID larger was a total fail, so I tried heating up the bolt and pushing the acrylic tubing onto it instead. This worked as long as I pushed it on fast enough and then dropped it in water, but I still couldn't do a decent enough job.

I finally just decided to use vinyl tubing instead. All I had to do with that was heat it up to make it soft and stretchy; wet the bolt a little bit, and push it on.

Instead of putting acrylic discs on the bottom side of the plates, I decided to use some plastic containers. This way not only would the ants have to crawl up the Fluon-covered vinyl tubing, and then upside down on the Fluon-covered plastic, but they would also need to make it all the way back down the sides, and then back up the sides again before reaching the cabinet.

I managed to finish four of the feet tonight. I'm still waiting on more containers so I can finish the rest.

med_gallery_2_687_166787.jpg

#58 Offline koeng - Posted January 11 2017 - 7:16 AM

koeng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Probably desiccation. One time a bunch of Argentine ants attacked one of my petri dishes, so I wrapped it in tinfoil and put it in my refrigerator. A week later, I opened up the tinfoil and they started trying to escape again. 

It makes sense that they need a lot of water, since they have been restricted to suburban areas of southern california, also that they made a node of their super colony behind my reverse osmosis machine... (about 4-5 queens within a 5 second glance)

#59 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 11 2017 - 12:50 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Dehydration. They are a hydrophilic species, not adapted for dry conditions. They must live near a source of drinkable, standing water, not just a moist nesting location. They are frequently found invading showers and sink drains for this reason.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 11 2017 - 12:55 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#60 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 11 2017 - 5:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah I know they need lots of water, but I didn't know they would all be dead within hours. It kind of makes me happy. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users