• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Adding sand to OmniNest, viable?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rarankhan - Posted January 23 2017 - 9:20 AM

rarankhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey guys is adding sand to the omni nest ok? Or would the sand get stuck between layers scratching them and affect air flow as I was once told by someone.

#2 Offline ParaStatic - Posted January 23 2017 - 11:09 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

The sand will most definitely start going between the layers.  I do not own one but have similar stuff, if you really want to add something into it, I would suggest coconut husk, or small bits of bark.  Something thicker, but not too think, if you know what I mean.  

Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

#3 Offline rarankhan - Posted January 23 2017 - 11:16 AM

rarankhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

The sand will most definitely start going between the layers.  I do not own one but have similar stuff, if you really want to add something into it, I would suggest coconut husk, or small bits of bark.  Something thicker, but not too think, if you know what I mean.  

For a smaller species like Formica pallidefulva would this be good:

https://www.amazon.c...ds=coconut husk.

#4 Offline ParaStatic - Posted January 23 2017 - 11:18 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Should work fine.

• rarankhan likes this
Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

#5 Offline rarankhan - Posted January 23 2017 - 11:22 AM

rarankhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Should work fine.

Ok thank you. 

#6 Offline ChicagoRollerDerby - Posted January 23 2017 - 12:11 PM

ChicagoRollerDerby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKane County, Illinois
Has a biodegradable medium like coconut husk or bark ever presented any problems? In certain applications it needs to be changed periodically, but I'm curious as to how it holds up in a formicarium.

#7 Offline rarankhan - Posted January 23 2017 - 12:38 PM

rarankhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Has a biodegradable medium like coconut husk or bark ever presented any problems? In certain applications it needs to be changed periodically, but I'm curious as to how it holds up in a formicarium.

I heard it molds, so I'm not sure if I wanna take the risk. Been keeping tabs on the ant-keeping hobby for the past few years, but finally got my own queen so bit new to all of this and probably couldn't handle mold or stuff properly. 

Edited by rarankhan, January 23 2017 - 1:00 PM.

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 23 2017 - 12:45 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I actually have really good luck with peat moss.

Peat moss doesn't mold.

It holds water really well.

Every ant I've used thus far (Acromyrmex versicolor, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Pheidole megacephala) love it.

If you use this, as a huge warning (learned the hard way). Peat moss when dry is like a dried out, crispy, bone hard sponge. It repels water when dry, making some of the wet parts a wet mess, and the other a dry dusty mess. You need to soak the peat moss before using it, and then you can use it. Once it is soaked, it dries VERY VERY slow, as it holds water incredibly well. It will however still dry after a while, so it still has to touch something wet so it can hydrate itself.

#9 Offline rarankhan - Posted January 23 2017 - 12:59 PM

rarankhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Peat moss doesn't mold.

Every ant I've used thus far (Acromyrmex versicolor, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Pheidole megacephala) love it.

If you use this, as a huge warning (learned the hard way). Peat moss when dry is like a dried out, crispy, bone hard sponge. It repels water when dry, making some of the wet parts a wet mess, and the other a dry dusty mess. You need to soak the peat moss before using it, and then you can use it. Once it is soaked, it dries VERY VERY slow, as it holds water incredibly well. It will however still dry after a while, so it still has to touch something wet so it can hydrate itself.

Don't intend to move the ants for a few months, so how long does it take to dry, for you at least. 

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 23 2017 - 1:22 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Peat moss doesn't mold.

Don't intend to move the ants for a few months, so how long does it take to dry, for you at least. 

Well, single granules dry up pretty fast.

But, one of my tests was mostly peat moss and some sand added to it, and it took 2-3 months to dry out completely. The benefit of adding a bit of sand to the peat moss, is it allows better hydration for when it does dry up.

Another test is just 100% pure peat moss, and its been 4 months, but its getting pretty dry on top by about an inch out of 5 inches. A lot slower than with sand added (its 50% peat moss/50% sand)

I find adding something to the peat moss actually works better. Despite it drying faster. So like 75% peat moss and 25% sand or dirt would probably actually be ideal. This way its easier to re-hydrate. Its still slow to dry out, but it does eventually.

Edited by Vendayn, January 23 2017 - 1:23 PM.

#11 Offline rarankhan - Posted January 23 2017 - 1:55 PM

rarankhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Peat moss doesn't mold.

Well, single granules dry up pretty fast.

But, one of my tests was mostly peat moss and some sand added to it, and it took 2-3 months to dry out completely. The benefit of adding a bit of sand to the peat moss, is it allows better hydration for when it does dry up.

Another test is just 100% pure peat moss, and its been 4 months, but its getting pretty dry on top by about an inch out of 5 inches. A lot slower than with sand added (its 50% peat moss/50% sand)

I find adding something to the peat moss actually works better. Despite it drying faster. So like 75% peat moss and 25% sand or dirt would probably actually be ideal. This way its easier to re-hydrate. Its still slow to dry out, but it does eventually.

Ah I c. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users