• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antproof Cabinets

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 30 2016 - 9:34 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

But we're not talking about support dead weight. It would more or less be bumping it, or enough force to bend the sheet metal the triangles are attached to. This why i was asking if you were planning on anchoring your cabinet to the wall. Then you wouldn't have to worry at all. But without it anchored and all the weight being balanced can lead to failure if you...lets say...pull the door open and its locked enough. It's unlikely it'll happen, but it is able to happen. Those legs are designed to take the weight at the height they're sitting. As kevin mentioned, you're basically adding a breaker bar to the leg and increasing the amount of push/pull force they'll take, not the down force.

Walk around with a 2" high heel on.They'll support your weight, but your legs won't like balancing on a higher platform nor dealing with the smaller footprint. You're more likely to break an ankle with a high heel rather then the height your foot is used to. i could be way off, but it makes sense to me.

#22 Offline Superant33 - Posted December 30 2016 - 10:04 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
This is a great idea. On three separate occasions I have had pharaoh ants invade and attack my ant colonies. They overwhelm my ants with numbers. This includes a fairly large S. invicta colony. I hate Monomorium pharaonis with a passion. Good luck on your ant proofing.

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 30 2016 - 12:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

But we're not talking about support dead weight. It would more or less be bumping it, or enough force to bend the sheet metal the triangles are attached to. This why i was asking if you were planning on anchoring your cabinet to the wall. Then you wouldnt have to worry at all. But without it anchored and all the weight being balanced can lead to failure if you...lets say...pull the door open and its locked enough. It's unlikely it'll happen, but it is able to happen. Those legs are designed to take the weight at the height they're sitting. As kevin mentioned, you're basically adding a breaker bar to the leg and increasing the amount of push/pull force they'll take, not the down force.

Walk around with a 2" high heel on.They'll support your weight, but your legs wont like balancing on a higher platform nor dealing with the smaller footprint. You're more likely to break an ankle with a high heel rather then the height your foot is used to. i could be way off, but it makes sense to me.

I still don't think you are understanding the physics involved here.

#24 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 30 2016 - 1:56 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

But we're not talking about support dead weight. It would more or less be bumping it, or enough force to bend the sheet metal the triangles are attached to. This why i was asking if you were planning on anchoring your cabinet to the wall. Then you wouldn't have to worry at all. But without it anchored and all the weight being balanced can lead to failure if you...lets say...pull the door open and its locked enough. It's unlikely it'll happen, but it is able to happen. Those legs are designed to take the weight at the height they're sitting. As kevin mentioned, you're basically adding a breaker bar to the leg and increasing the amount of push/pull force they'll take, not the down force.

Walk around with a 2" high heel on.They'll support your weight, but your legs won't like balancing on a higher platform nor dealing with the smaller footprint. You're more likely to break an ankle with a high heel rather then the height your foot is used to. i could be way off, but it makes sense to me.

I still don't think you are understanding the physics involved here.

You're prolly right about this. I just feel that you're only thinking about down force.An open door alone offsets the weight of a cabinet considerably. Very easily you can accidentally put some weight on that open door, and crush those sheet metal legs between the cabinet and your addition. that's a lot of weight that's normally spread out between 10ft of surface area, drastically reducing twisting action. With using the taller legs, you lose the friction and you put all your weight on 4 points. The bolts may not bend, but the sheet metal bending a fraction of a mm and were your pivot point would be, your top end can lean forward significantly. Now if your cabinet is top heavy, once it starts and that sheet metal starts to crimp, she's not stopping.

I've pulled grow cabinets to the ground by opening to fast.

#25 Offline Serafine - Posted December 30 2016 - 1:58 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Put some hypothetical horizontal force at it and guess where it's going. Hint: It's not the corners.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#26 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 30 2016 - 2:00 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Honestly, one little L bracket and it'll stop your swaying.

• Kevin likes this

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 31 2016 - 1:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

An open door alone offsets the weight of a cabinet considerably....  I've pulled grow cabinets to the ground by opening to fast.

I don't know what kind of cabinets you're using, but the doors weigh hardly anything.

L bracket where? I can't think of any way an L bracket can help, which is why I think you might not be understanding all that's involved here.

#28 Offline Leo - Posted December 31 2016 - 5:55 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Tapinoma melanocephalum have attempted to invade A LOT of times here, kinda like the argentine ants you guys have. luckily they are quite small and my colonies seem to be fine without my help

#29 Offline Kevin - Posted December 31 2016 - 6:08 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

An open door alone offsets the weight of a cabinet considerably....  I've pulled grow cabinets to the ground by opening to fast.

I don't know what kind of cabinets you're using, but the doors weigh hardly anything.

L bracket where? I can't think of any way an L bracket can help here, which is why I think you might not be understanding all that's involved here.

If you put a bracket on the corner itself, so it's 3 triangled welded together. Then, when the desk is pushed, instead of just crimping the sheet metal on the bottom, it would have the supports of the outer walls. To fold in, you would need to tear the bolts out of the sheet metal or actually completely bend the desk, which is unlikely. 

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 31 2016 - 6:23 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think you mean angle iron. I was going to use angle irons for this at first, but it just adds a lot more work and money to the project, when I don't think it's really necessary.

GetImage.ashx?Path=~%2FAssets%2FProductI 

L Bracket

ma4IXyEABbhIyJEw_DcSX1Q.jpg

Angle Iron

#31 Offline Kevin - Posted December 31 2016 - 8:34 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

An angle iron could work, but that's not what I was referring to. I meant 3 right triangles connected in a bracket form to fit on the vertex where both sides and the bottom of the cabinet connect. Like this:

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 31 2016 - 9:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's nice, but I don't think it's necessary.

#33 Offline FSTP - Posted December 31 2016 - 5:31 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Drew, The forum has come to consensus and you are wrong.  :P  :crazy:  I think Drew is probably the best judge of wether or not this cabinet modification will work considering he's the one working on it and its in his living room. Also I'd hazard to guess that someone who has basically a machine shop in their apartment can figure out how to modify a few cabinet feet to suit his needs.

Are the argentine ants specifically attracted to the other ant colonies? or is the risk that a random forager will happen upon one of your colonies and then "send in the clones" ?

#34 Offline Kevin - Posted December 31 2016 - 5:56 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Drew, The forum has come to consensus and you are wrong.  :P  :crazy:  I think Drew is probably the best judge of wether or not this cabinet modification will work considering he's the one working on it and its in his living room. Also I'd hazard to guess that someone who has basically a machine shop in their apartment can figure out how to modify a few cabinet feet to suit his needs.

Are the argentine ants specifically attracted to the other ant colonies? or is the risk that a random forager will happen upon one of your colonies and then "send in the clones" ?

Yeah, it is what it is, but I felt like being super scientific and seeing how it could be improved.

#35 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 31 2016 - 9:28 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Don't really think Drew cares too much about it being 100% optimal. If it works, that is what counts in the end.

As for Argentine ants. Yeah, they come in and either smell someone else's colony and attack or they randomly find it. I've read stories where they will travel to a second or even third floor apartment and attack someones colonies. No idea how they found them, but yup. This year there were major Argentine ant invasions inside my own apartment, but we killed them right away with ant baits.

#36 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 31 2016 - 10:04 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Down in San Diego, I had my Solenopsis invicta colony get attacked by Argentine ants.

Luckily Solenopsis invicta kick butt on Argentine ants. The Argentine ants gave up and left. I lost almost no Solenopsis invicta. They had been attacking them for about an hour (since I checked an hour before, and it was fine). I did help by killing the Argentine ants, killing the colony outside the apartment and laid out a bunch of ant baits. Argentine ants can't do much against Solenopsis invicta, especially because Solenopsis invicta win mostly below ground. 

#37 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 1 2017 - 7:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, all it takes is one forager to find the colony and sound the alarm.

#38 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 1 2017 - 7:55 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

L bracket where? I can't think of any way an L bracket can help here, which is why I think you might not be understanding all that's involved here.

Top of the cabinet, to the wall. If you can secure it against a wall, you'll stop all the twisting. Stabilization.

#39 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 2 2017 - 3:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Disaster!

I just tried standing this thing up and it immediately collapsed into a pile of twisted metal!

SS%20316.JPG

No... Actually, it's as stable as can be. There isn't even a hint of anything flexing, but the shelves trying to hold up all the weight I put on them. I would estimate about 250 lbs in it right now. Pushing on it doesn't do anything but push it up on two legs, and even on two legs they still don't even flex in any way.

med_gallery_2_687_838764.jpg

med_gallery_2_687_289680.jpg

med_gallery_2_687_1074088.jpg

Now to work on the next two cabinets.
  • drtrmiller, T.C. and CallMeCraven like this

#40 Offline FSTP - Posted January 2 2017 - 3:34 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

amazing! looks great! I knew you could do it!  :lol:

Edited by FSTP, January 2 2017 - 3:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users