• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Pheidole bicarinata Journal - The Phatheads

pheidole bicarinata

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#161 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 10 2021 - 6:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I went through this morning and tried to re-post most of the photos I had accidentally deleted on Monday. This colony is still happily hibernating.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#162 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted February 11 2021 - 8:00 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

This is a really great resource, thanks man! Pheidole bicarinata are the only Pheidole species near me, and they are the only ant I'm going to raise this year(with the possible exception of Camponotus castaneus). I've got six mini hearths and I intend on raising six colonies :D

• ANTdrew likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#163 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 11 2021 - 8:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You're welcome, dude. I'm always glad to help others on here with my journals. If I could only keep one species, I think I'd choose the same one.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#164 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2021 - 4:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-9-2021

My Mondays are pretty open because I don't have students in our new hybrid schedule. That gave me time yesterday to go pick up my Pheidole bicarinata Phatheads from their diapause location in my parents' basement. Some water sloshed up out of their water tower during the ride home, but they made it fine. There was a sizable pile of dead workers I had to aspirate up, but the colony is still massive with quite a few small larvae that overwintered. The queen is still living in the old mini-hearth, but most of the workers and larvae are living near the water tower in their Fallen Fortress. I'm only heating the Fortress in hopes that more will move over, but I think I will need to keep both nests hooked up because the Fortress alone won't fit them all. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a Mini-Labyrinth for them. Here is a look at their setup:

IMG 9294

• DDD101DDD likes this

#165 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 11 2021 - 8:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-11-2021

Well, that didn't take long. My Pheidole colony re-activated really quickly once I started heating them, and they're back to swarming protein sources. I've fed them an earwig and one mealworm so far. I'm looking forward to more rampant growth for them this second season.

IMG 9310
IMG 9309

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#166 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 11 2021 - 8:44 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Wow, truly amazing! I wish I'd kept some of my Pheidole colonies last year. I only kept the one Ph. dentata colony, and their queen ended up dying late in the season. Shoulda kept some of the Ph. bicarinata and Ph. tysoni colonies I raised... 

• ANTdrew likes this

#167 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 11 2021 - 9:45 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Wow, I love pheidole and am hoping to get a colony of them soon. I love their majors with the big heads.

#168 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 10:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-15-2021

This colony is right back to their old ways after their three month hibernation. I can see a lot of fat larvae in their Fallen Fortress, and I'm happy that the queen finally moved in as of a few days ago. They go nuts for any insects I drop in there, and I even gave them some termite treats this weekend. The mini-hearth is full as is the Fallen Fortress and their outworld. I wonder if they'll get alates this year?

IMG 9314
IMG 9318

I probably should have gotten museum glass, but I don't think that would help with whatever they smeared on this corner of their glass. Oh well.
IMG 9319

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and Wegmier like this

#169 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 15 2021 - 11:47 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

You can definitely expect alates this year, likely before their anniversary! 

• ANTdrew likes this

#170 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow. Look out!

#171 Offline SpaceX1193 - Posted March 15 2021 - 3:01 PM

SpaceX1193

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
My pheidole bicar queen died. But last year they were everywhere so I know I’ll get another

#172 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 24 2021 - 4:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-24-2021

This colony had a small jailbreak yesterday. I have their Fallen Fortress connected to their old Mini-Hearth via some vinyl tubing. The connection between the tubing and the hole in the Mini-Hearth isn't quite snug enough for such tiny ants, so I put mounting putty around where the tube enters for some added security. Well, they managed to chew through the putty and a few were roaming about when I got home from work yesterday. I reshaped the putty and renewed their fluon, but I think it's just a matter of time before they chew through again. I'm thinking they need a bigger setup that can hold them all in one nest without all the tubing. To that end, I think I will try to make one of my Antpartments (like the one I have my Nylanderia in) for them with a larger outworld. I really wish I had ordered a Labyrinth instead of a Fallen Fortress, but money doesn't grow on trees, nor do formicariums! :facepalm:

• TennesseeAnts, Fatatoille and Antkeeper01 like this

#173 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 24 2021 - 5:53 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Antpartments? I love the sound of that...

Is that the bead nest?

#174 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 24 2021 - 6:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Antpartments? I love the sound of that...

Is that the bead nest?

Yes, it’s a three compartment organizer I get from Dollar Tree.

#175 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2021 - 6:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-1-2021

This colony has all but stopped swarming protein sources and pumping out brood like crazy.

April Fools! :sarcastic:

On the contrary, they are just as set on world domination as ever and keep growing crazy fast. I made a new Antpartment nest that should hold them all, so I may be moving them into it soon. These need a bigger outworld, too, because cleaning is becoming an issue. They even started tunneling in a big Mt Trashmore pile of frass they made in their outworld. The queen is finally spending most of her time in the Fallen Fortress.

IMG 9499
IMG 9498

#176 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 1 2021 - 7:11 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I really hope to get a queen of one of these soon, they are a really cool species.

#177 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2021 - 7:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Try blacklighting in June. Search through the archives on here to learn how to do it.

#178 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 1 2021 - 7:18 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

ok. I can get a blacklight.

#179 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2021 - 7:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-8-21

This colony is getting a little hard to manage, annoying at times even. They caused their tall byFormica liquid feeder filled with Sunburst to flood the other day by sticking trash to it, and now a corner of their Fortress outworld is stained with the sticky mess. They routinely empty out their water feeders, too, then minor workers pack into the empty glass part. I need to shake them out to refill the water. Yesterday, they managed to get past the fluon barrier in their outworld. I had the lid on kind of lightly because it is such a pain to remove without shaking the whole outworld, so 60 or so minor workers escaped. I vacuumed them up and renewed the fluon. I'll need to keep the lid on tightly from now on.

:o %)

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD, Antkeeper014 and 4 others like this

#180 Offline Canadant - Posted April 8 2021 - 8:53 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
A naughty crew Antdrew! Looking good though.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole bicarinata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users