• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnts' Neivamyrmex Journal (I've Done it Again...)

neivamyrmex nigrescens antdude feroxformicae ant journal neivamyrmex nigrescens army ant ferox_formicae ant_dude2908

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2020 - 1:45 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Hey all!

Before I go into detail, we know that there will be criticism and backlash involved with collecting a Neivamyrmex colony, so we ask that please, keep any of that out of our journal.

Thanks!

Edited by TennesseeAnts, April 28 2022 - 1:48 PM.

• Somethinghmm likes this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2020 - 1:48 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Today I collected a Neivamyrmex nigrescens colony of about 550-600 workers and the one and only queen. I also grabbed any soldiers/majors I found, which was about 40. The colony wasn't huge, and that is the reason I felt okay with collecting them.
The colony was in a rest phase under an old stump, and the queen is getting ready to lay the first eggs of the year. We are working out their permanent home, and hope to keep this colony going for a long time!

Edit: Pics are coming soon btw

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 18 2020 - 6:39 AM.

• Somethinghmm and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 2 2020 - 1:51 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

We can have our own ideas, but i think it is bad to push them forcefully on others. You can debate them, though.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 2 2020 - 1:59 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow...you're like BBC Nature/Earth now...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 2 2020 - 3:02 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Is Ferox contributing to this, or is this going to be your journal...........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2020 - 3:05 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Is Ferox contributing to this, or is this going to be your journal...........

I have the colony at my place, but Ferox is helping me with care, brood collection and housing. We might even take turns posting updates.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 2 2020 - 3:08 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 2 2020 - 3:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Alright. I sort of figured, just checking.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 2 2020 - 3:20 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Wow, this is new! I should call you guys The Cloud and Dude Joint Ant Force or (TCDJAF for short. IDK why I even bother lol).

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 2 2020 - 3:29 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

If you got only that many workers the odds are very high that you left a large portion of the colony behind.

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2020 - 3:32 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

If you got only that many workers the odds are very high that you left a large portion of the colony behind.

Yep. I know. I'm out getting the rest right now, actually.

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 2 2020 - 4:04 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I've been working on gathering up as much Linepithema brood as I can to send to Ant_Dude to feed to the colony. I'm doing this as, for one, I have easy access to brood of the species and, as Ant_Dude does not have too many invasive species in his area he can gather brood from (lucky...), I'm sending him this brood so he doesn't have to run his native colonies dry. I think this is a fairly efficient system, in my opinion.

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 2 2020 - 4:09 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I concur 

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 2 2020 - 4:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
If you kept a large colony of Linepithima, gathering brood would be much simpler. They would be like feeders.

Edited by AntsDakota, April 2 2020 - 4:15 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2020 - 4:28 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

If you kept a large colony of Linepithima, gathering brood would be much simpler. They would be like feeders.

Fortunately, Linepithema are not found in my area. I live miles away from any large city, so we don't even have Tetramorium.

#15 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 2 2020 - 4:31 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow

#16 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 2 2020 - 5:08 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Today I collected a Neivamyrmex nigrescens colony of about 550-600 workers and the one and only queen. I also grabbed any soldiers/majors I found, which was about 40. The colony wasn't huge, and that is the reason I felt okay with collecting them.
The colony was in a rest phase under an old board, and the queen is getting ready to lay the first eggs of the year. We are working out their permanent home, and hope to keep this colony going for a long time!

Edit: Pics are coming soon btw

I'd still be cautious regarding that "long time" biz, as we really don't know what the lifespan of neivamyrmex queens looks like. I've heard estimates that they only live for 3-6 months, although I personally doubt that they are that short-lived. Still, just something I'd like to point out. Either way I'd really like to see some pics, as this is one of the rarer genera to keep. I've only personally seen them in the wild once, so you'd got a great find going on here.

• TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#17 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 2 2020 - 5:16 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

They have some giant gasters (the queens at least)!

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 2 2020 - 5:18 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Fortunately, Linepithema are not found in my area. I live miles away from any large city, so we don't even have Tetramorium.
Oh, I meant Ferox. Then he wouldn’t have to go searching and digging around every time your ants are hungry...........

#19 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 2 2020 - 5:19 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Gotta love them slave raiding species

#20 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 2 2020 - 5:20 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

I don't know where you got a 3-6 month life span, but that is certainly not correct.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neivamyrmex nigrescens, antdude, feroxformicae, ant, journal, neivamyrmex, nigrescens, army ant, ferox_formicae, ant_dude2908

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users