• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Offline OiledOlives - Posted June 4 2023 - 1:02 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Camponotus castaneus queens:
Camponotus castaneus queens.jpg
Camponotus castaneus.jpg

Monomorium minimum colony:
Monomorium minimum icon.jpg

Pheidole pilifera (I got rid of my first colony and the queen of the other colony died)
Pheidole pilifera major head on.jpg
Pheidole pilifera workers.jpg

• ANTdrew and Ernteameise like this

#62 Offline OiledOlives - Posted September 24 2023 - 5:31 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia
I caught a Stigmatomma queen under a rock a month ago and found some workers around 100 miles away. I introduced them to the queen with no fighting, but the queen ate the two eggs she had laid. Now, they have a small batch of eggs and a larvae. I'm curious to see how they're gonna respond to diapause since they're being heated. Something else that I find interesting is that they're doing fine without substrate (which I'll add once the larvae gets larger) and centipedes. They've been on a diet of solely roaches and occasional mealworms.2e3c07586b5bc93a37b4b23df5b52ca8.jpgfacdf06b5f84e13eaf2b5afb56319463.jpg

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk
  • Full_Frontal_Yeti and Ernteameise like this

#63 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted September 24 2023 - 6:27 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Wow good job. I've been hunting for these guys ever since I moved to Virginia.

#64 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 24 2023 - 10:47 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGermany

Oh wow, amazing that you can keep them under these conditions and nutrition.

I have read that they are hard to keep and require their centipedes / millipedes.

Really cool.

Hope the colony continues to grow!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole bicarinata, camponotus chromaiodes, pheidole pilifera, aphaenogaster picea, aphaenogaster lamellidens, lasius americanus, myrmica incompleta, colobopsis obliqua, formica subsericea, formica pallidefulva

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users