• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Pheidole bicarinata Journal - The Phatheads

pheidole bicarinata

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#201 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 3 2021 - 5:45 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I recntly obatined a colony of these and since you are the best at coming up with names what should the colony and queens names be? almighty name giver

• ANTdrew likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#202 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 3 2021 - 6:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-3-2021

Mini-update here to say that I started working on customizing an old school AC Outworld 1.0 to use for the Phatheads. I'm hoping to get them into something with less tubing and less escape points. I really need to change their setup, so I can start enjoying this colony once again.

• AnthonyP163, Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#203 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 3 2021 - 6:02 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Hey ANTdrew can u help name my Pheidole too? Mine are P. parva

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#204 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 3 2021 - 6:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Ok, but I'm going to start charging 5 cents a name.

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo, ANTS_KL and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#205 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 3 2021 - 6:23 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Ok, but I'm going to start charging 5 cents a name.

Oh the horror!

Edited by Antkeeper01, June 3 2021 - 6:23 AM.

• Chickalo and United-Ants like this

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#206 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 3 2021 - 6:29 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
What Antkeeper01 said

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#207 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 4 2021 - 3:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Antkeeper01: Your queen will be named Urd, another one of the Three Norns

Ants_KL: Your queen will be named Verdandi, also one of the Three Norns

• ColAnt735 likes this

#208 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 4 2021 - 4:39 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Oki thx!

#209 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 4 2021 - 11:50 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Beginning 6-24-2020

I have an obsessive side to my personality. Since finding a Pheidole major in my yard last September, I had become quite obsessed with the idea of finding a queen and raising a colony of this species. Through my research, I learned that these are night flyers that like to fly on warm humid nights usually after a good rain. Other members on here recommended using the black light method, so I ordered a 25watt bulb off of Amazon and experimented with several configurations to attract queens.

On Friday, 6/19, I tried a new approach using a lamp from my living room and an old white sheet we had laying around. It looked like this:

Literally within minutes of turning the thing on, right after nightfall, a reddish little queen showed up on the sheet! It looked just like a little red Tetramorium queen, and I knew this had to be Pheidole. Within the next hour, two more had shown up. I put all of these first three queens in test tube set ups and called it a night.

On Father's Day, 6/21, I set up my spooky blacklight again, and two more of these girls showed up. What a great Father's Day gift!

Currently, all five of these are in standard test tube set ups. Three of them have shed their wings, and I'm seeing a few egg piles starting to form. I'm super excited to raise this species and document the journey here. Stay tuned!

If you are a PheidolePhenom, please share advice because these ants seem to be kind of shrouded in mystery on this forum for whatever reason.

I just noticed this, but I figured I'd mention it to you anyways, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a different source of ultraviolet light than the bulb you're using here. I have used these same bulbs before myself. In a side-to-side comparison between true fluorescent bulbs and LED bulbs I have found that they are abysmal. I have seen in real-time as the LED/true fluorescent attract many, many more queens/alates and just bugs in general. I think it's likely that it's a result of low light output combined with the sub-optimal shape of the bulb itself. A lot of the light is wasted and isn't "used" to attract anything.

It's DEFINITELY worth the $25-$50 you'd spend getting LED lights or fluorescent bulbs. 

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#210 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 5 2021 - 1:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks, Mdrogun. Can you share a link to a better bulb?
  • ColAnt735 likes this

#211 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 26 2021 - 7:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-26-2021

A lot happened this past week for the Phatheads. I finally got around to evicting all the ants that were still in the old mini-hearth, which was quite an ordeal. I dumped them into this old school AntsCanada 1.0 Outworld that I had modified for them:

IMG 0167

At least a thousand ants were up in that mini-hearth. I would have just left them, but all the tubing connections led to multiple escape issues, so I needed to simplify things. I put two test tube setups in the AC Outworld to give them some more space, plus I sealed the gaps around the existing tubing with silicone. Curing silicone fumes are NOT harmful to ants. I found this out multiple times, which is good to know if you have escape artist species.

IMG 0168

The other big news is that these wee beasties are raising their first batch of alates! I spotted several very fat queen larvae a few days ago. :congratulate:

Here's a look into their totally full Fallen Fortress. You can see queen Alfhild in one of these shots, though she's out of focus.

IMG 0142
IMG 0141

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

#212 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2021 - 8:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Wow, congrats on the alates!

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#213 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted June 26 2021 - 12:16 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Wow! Nice the queen looks cyphogastratoric
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#214 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted June 26 2021 - 4:12 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

always wanted Pheidole. I am in CA and everyone tells me that I am lucky to live here for all the ant species haha. But I am still struggling to find queens.

• ANTdrew likes this

#215 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted June 27 2021 - 3:25 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Don’t we all lol. I’ve been frantically black lighting and I think I found a pheidole drone but it could have been a different species of temnothorax.

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#216 Offline jplelito - Posted July 1 2021 - 7:39 AM

jplelito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC USA
https://www.amazon.c...F9NJSB6C7HMH0H1

I use a 365 nm bulb (link above) in addition to a waterproof “UV” strip which emits a lot of visible but also some high-end UV.

Strip: https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

Note that this strip is not the exact one I use but is the same manufacturer. I have one I bought last year and it seems there is a newer version now.

These two together not only bring in the ants but every other imaginable critter - moths, beetles, flies, lacewings, stink bugs - insects I had no idea lived in my yard!
  • TennesseeAnts and AntBoi3030 like this

#217 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2021 - 11:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 7-5-2021

This colony is doing very well with their new expanded space. They've moved a lot of brood into the two tubes I gave them in the AC Outworld. Their queen larvae just pupated! I finally got a good shot of them today. I'm excited to see where this leads:

IMG 0143

So far, I've only caught one new queen of this species this year, but she has an egg pile now. I'm hopeful for the next few days, plus I bought some stronger blacklights.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#218 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 5 2021 - 11:33 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

only I've only caught none

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#219 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 6 2021 - 4:31 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I got one! She looks exactly the same as your queen. Wish me luck lol

#220 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 6 2021 - 6:30 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

They've come so far  :)

• ANTdrew likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole bicarinata