• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Pheidole bicarinata Journal - The Phatheads

pheidole bicarinata

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#181 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2021 - 4:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-11-2021

Though this colony is doing quite well and growing like crazy, I'm not really happy with their setup right now. The tiny THA outworld is totally overwhelmed, so I can't clean it. The ants are basically living on top of a big pile of frass and trash. They were scaling the fluon, so I couldn't open the lid either. I ordered a new lid from THA with a removable vent, so I can at least drop in food now. I will need to bit the bullet soon and totally evict them from this setup and move them into one of my Antpartments with a much larger outworld.

IMG 9784

• AnthonyP163 and DDD101DDD like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#182 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 11 2021 - 4:57 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

That's a lot of ants!

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#183 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2021 - 5:00 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yup. The nest part is totally full, then there is a totally full mini-hearth connected to the Fortress.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#184 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 11 2021 - 8:16 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

wow.. Do you even try to find where the queen is..

Edited by Antcatcherpro3, May 11 2021 - 8:17 AM.

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#185 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 11 2021 - 8:44 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Woah...  Nice Pheidole!  Stupid Massachusetts climate, we only have one species, Pheidole pilifera...  Someone found a colony on iNat around 10 miles away (biking distance : D), however the northern species probably aren't as cool as yours B)

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#186 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2021 - 9:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

wow.. Do you even try to find where the queen is..

It's actually relatively easy to find the queen in the Fallen Fortress.

• TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

#187 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 11 2021 - 1:12 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

oh

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#188 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted May 11 2021 - 1:29 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]
How much are you feeding these gals? And are they starting to slow down in growth or are they still going strong in population expansion? I thought bicarinata were known to cap at a few thousand max, your queen must have some very good genetics.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#189 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2021 - 1:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I feed them every day. A typical feeding looks like two mealworms, two crickets, or one medium dubia roach. I frequently give them meat from my dinner as a pre-feeding. I haven’t noticed any downturn in Alfhild’s brood production.

Edited by ANTdrew, May 11 2021 - 1:45 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#190 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 11 2021 - 3:17 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Omg wow

I love the name the phatheads lol ... makes me think of that show the big heads on Rocco modern life.

Anyway... that is a massive colony! How will you refill the sunburst if they're going over the Fluon?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#191 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2021 - 4:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Refilling their feeders is an annoying task involving a feather and ant-keeper ninja skills.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#192 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2021 - 4:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-19-2021

I finally got to clean the foraging area of the Phatheads' Fallen Fortress. What happened was that my house got really hot, but I didn't unplug their heat cable, so a lot of the ants left the warmer Fortress for the old mini-hearth. I took advantage to vacuum out as much frass and old insect shells as I could. A lot of workers got vacuumed up, but I put these in a separate fluon lined container and tried to separate as many as I could to return back to the colony. These still need a way bigger foraging area to match with their frenetic behavior pattern, though. My goal is to attach one of the old-school AntsCanada 1.0 outworlds I have for this purpose.

Here is a mealworm feeding frenzy:

IMG 9854
IMG 9853

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

#193 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 19 2021 - 9:12 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

So many, are you going to move them into a new nest soon?

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#194 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2021 - 10:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes, I will bite the bullet soon. I think letting their old nest dry out will be a big motivator for this species since they always swarm water like it's 1999.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 2 others like this

#195 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 30 2021 - 5:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
F!!! Another huge jailbreak. I’m pretty much done with this colony now.
  • Boog, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 3 others like this

#196 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 30 2021 - 5:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

That's a bummer.  :(  How are they escaping exactly?

Edited by NickAnter, May 30 2021 - 5:49 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#197 Offline Boog - Posted May 30 2021 - 6:06 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I hope they're not freely scaling the outworld barrier by the hundreds...

My Pheidole are growing in numbers and I thought they've been well contained in Mini-hearths so far but will rethink their growth potential now.

• Antkeeper01 likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#198 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 31 2021 - 3:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My Pheidole are growing in numbers and I thought they've been well contained in Mini-hearths so far but will rethink their growth potential now.

They escaped by gnawing through a bead of mounting putty I put where their Fortress attaches to a mini-hearth with tubing.
  • Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#199 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 31 2021 - 5:34 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

They escaped by gnawing through a bead of mounting putty I put where their Fortress attaches to a mini-hearth with tubing.

:o Oh wow!

Sounds like your going to have to move them to just a bigger formicarium without any other smaller attachments.

• Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#200 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 3 2021 - 5:27 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I recntly obatined a colony of these and since you are the best at coming up with names what should the colony and queens names be

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole bicarinata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users