• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Pheidole bicarinata Journal - The Phatheads

pheidole bicarinata

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#241 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 16 2021 - 8:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I need a break from them, to be honest. They’re very mischievous ants.

I bet! Even with a smaller species like Ph. bicarinata, keeping a mature colony seems like a very daunting task. 

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper014 like this

#242 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted January 15 2022 - 4:08 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Deleted

Edited by AntBoi3030, January 15 2022 - 4:09 PM.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#243 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 19 2022 - 8:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 1-19-2021

The Phatheads are still in diapause. They are in my parents' unheated basement, which is down in the 40s now. I checked them on Monday, and everything looks great. I'm looking forward to waking them up in a month or so. I'm currently debating what I will move them into, but whatever it is, it will need to be very escape proof. I don't feel I can trust their Fallen Fortress anymore since they found a way out of the watering tube somehow.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#244 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 14 2022 - 6:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3/14/2022

After a good respite from their mischief, I'm happy to be waking up Alfhild and her Phatheads for their third season. They spent the winter in my parents' cold basement, and I brought them home to my house on Saturday 3/12. The colony is at a point where new workers are closely equaling deaths, so they are holding steady at their current size, which is still quite large. I think the new Antpartment I plan to move them into could be a good forever home for them at their current numbers. The queen looks great, but very little brood made it through the winter. I bet she'll start pumping out eggs very soon, though.

Ants happily crammed up in their Fortress nest:

IMG 2140
IMG 2141

Here is the nest I plan to move them into:
IMG 2051

• AnthonyP163, AntsDakota, Antkeeper01 and 4 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#245 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 14 2022 - 7:46 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I'm going to binge-read this journal from start to finish today.

I may be getting Phediole soon.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#246 Offline antsriondel - Posted March 14 2022 - 7:57 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I'm going to binge-read this journal from start to finish today.

I may be getting Phediole soon.

you are so lucky. I WANT PHEIDOLE.

Edited by antsriondel, March 14 2022 - 7:57 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#247 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 18 2022 - 6:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-18-22

After being heated for the past few days, the Phatheads are resuming their plans for world domination. I've fed them twice this week with dubia roach pieces and a few hemp hearts. They did lose quite a few workers over winter, so they have some catching up to do. Good ol' fashioned power feeding will help with that.

Here's a GIF of last night's feast. Check out those majors workin' it:

IMG 2171

• Antkeeper014, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 4 others like this

#248 Offline antsriondel - Posted March 18 2022 - 6:58 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Update 3-18-22

After being heated for the past few days, the Phatheads are resuming their plans for world domination. I've fed them twice this week with dubia roach pieces and a few hemp hearts. They did lose quite a few workers over winter, so they have some catching up to do. Good ol' fashioned power feeding will help with that.

Here's a GIF of last night's feast. Check out those majors workin' it:

awesome!

#249 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted March 18 2022 - 12:44 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Awsome colony! I with I was able to raise a colony that size from a single queen, but most of my pheidole caught last season either have been sold or have died.

• ANTdrew and antsriondel like this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#250 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2022 - 10:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

POPULAR

Update 3-23-2022

This colony is kicking off their third season with gusto. They're back to launching big feeding responses, and they have a sizable pile of larvae now on the water tower in their Fallen Fortress. They'll probably start producing a new round of reproductives soon as well.

Here are some shots of their brood pile:

IMG 2194
IMG 2193

And here is a GIF of them feeding on dubia roaches:
IMG 2220

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper014 and 7 others like this

#251 Offline antgallery - Posted March 23 2022 - 6:40 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

There's a colony of these in my front yard but I never see workers until about a week before their nuptial flight, is that normal?

#252 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2022 - 10:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5/4/2022

The Phatheads are doing pretty well these days, but I sense a slight slow down in their growth and general activity level. I wonder how long these queens typically live and whether Queen Aslaug is already starting to slow down a bit? It is her third season pumping out eggs. The colony is still huge, so I'm not too concerned.

I've been feeding them lots of termites I gathered up using cardboard traps in my yard.

IMG 2568

• Devi, Antkeeper014, TacticalHandleGaming and 4 others like this

#253 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 4 2022 - 2:02 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Card board traps? I need an alternative to walking around in the woods with a shovel smacking logs until I find termites.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#254 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2022 - 3:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Card board traps? I need an alternative to walking around in the woods with a shovel smacking logs until I find termites.

Cut 4”x4” squares of cardboard and soak them in water. Put the wet cardboard under logs with termites. When you return in a week, the cardboard will be full of termites. Wet cardboard is like crack for termites.
  • AntBoi3030 likes this

#255 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 18 2022 - 5:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 8-18-2022

They did it again! This colony has another large batch of queen alates. Interestingly, they do not produce any males as far as I can tell. The sheer size of the colony is pretty intimidating now, and I'm seriously consider doing some sort of bonsai ant-keeping to prune their numbers. I'd also like to revamp their setup to get them more room. Luckily, they've only had one escape so far this summer when the fluon in their outworld failed. 

I caught many new queens of this species this year, but I sold them all. I'm still waiting on one, though. 

Attached Images

• IMG-3528.jpg
  • IMG-3529.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 4 others like this

#256 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted August 23 2022 - 5:03 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
Great journal. Getting a colony myself soon
  • ANTdrew and AntsCali098 like this

#257 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 27 2022 - 6:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I got a nice update in the works for you guys. This weekend, I moved Alfhild and her Phatheads into a sick new nest courtesy of UtahAnts. I can’t wait to show it off here.
  • antsriondel likes this

#258 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 27 2022 - 6:49 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

I got a nice update in the works for you guys. This weekend, I moved Alfhild and her Phatheads into a sick new nest courtesy of UtahAnts. I can’t wait to show it off here.

Yeeeeeees! I can't wait!
  • antsriondel likes this

#259 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 2 2022 - 9:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Update 12-2-2022

The Phatheads have been living in a THA Fallen Fortress since 2020. It was high time for an upgrade, which is why I contacted UtahAnts about a month ago to kick around some ideas for their new nest/ forever home. We settled on making a 7" X 5.5" Red Sand mAntsion for Alfhild and her colony. UtahAnts did a masterful job making a nest that is both aesthetically pleasing and fully Pheidole proof (no small feat).

Moving them out of the Fortress was a nightmare, and I can honestly say that I suck at moving large colonies. To make a long story short, I got most of the colony moved into the mAntsion, but could not find the queen. I spent over 24 hours straining my neck, back, and eyes to find her in the new nest, but to no avail. On a hunch, I went to check the old Fortress the next evening, and lo and behold, there was Alfhild straight vibing on the water tower with about 100 workers. The F'ing things must have went to hide within the water tower earlier in the move (a long standing problem with that Fortress if you read back in this journal). Anyway, I quickly aspirated her and dumped her in the outworld connected to the new nest. I will put these down for their fourth diapause very soon.

Overview of the nest:
IMG 4237

Nest chambers. I love that there is no loose sand for them to do their mischief with.

IMG 4247
IMG 4243

Alfhild, alive and well:
IMG 4241

Edited by ANTdrew, December 2 2022 - 1:16 PM.

• yaboimorph, UtahAnts, AntBoi3030 and 2 others like this

#260 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted December 2 2022 - 11:53 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Beautiful colony!
  • antsriondel likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole bicarinata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users