• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetra Talk

tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 21 2020 - 11:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I boosted my queen with callows and pupae from a mature colony.

My queen laid eggs since this.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#62 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 21 2020 - 3:04 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Second queen now has a few nanitics.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#63 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 21 2020 - 7:58 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
I will (hopefully) be getting a Tetra colony, so I could hop on this thread soonish.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#64 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 21 2020 - 8:01 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

I will (hopefully) be getting a Tetra colony, so I could hop on this thread soonish.

Nice! 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#65 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 22 2020 - 4:49 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Just noticed this thread, but I would love to jump in on the Tetramorium hate! The worst thing my colony has done in its 3 years is dig out of a type 3 Mini Hearth.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#66 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 22 2020 - 5:21 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

My oldest tetra queen has larva that are taking forever, and I have no way to keep them warmer...  :-( 
I’m real lucky that I caught tetramorium as my first ant though, because I couldn’t stop myself from looking at her every 30 seconds. She didn’t care at all.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#67 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 3:47 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Tetra queens 3+4(housed together) have their first workers. No sudden death yet...

#68 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 23 2020 - 7:16 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I missed the flights of the small population here. :(

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#69 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 23 2020 - 7:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

They flew throughout the month here last year. I have only found one this year, though. But my neighbor got one too.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 23 2020 - 7:49 AM.

#70 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:24 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

I guess they can't compete with the ants species there.

Edited by Antkid12, July 23 2020 - 11:32 AM.

#71 Offline to_be_announced - Posted July 23 2020 - 12:29 PM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSouth East Minnesota

Just noticed this thread, but I would love to jump in on the Tetramorium hate! The worst thing my colony has done in its 3 years is dig out of a type 3 Mini Hearth.

Uh oh.  That's what I currently have my Tetra queen in.  Hope I don't have that issue, although it's just the queen with some eggs and larvae currently, so I have a while.

Question, how full is your mini hearth after 3 years?  I was thinking these ladies wouldn't last that long in that small of a formicarium.  Was planning on getting a Hybrid Nest for them for when they outgrow.

Currently keeping Tetramorium Immigrans and Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in THA mini hearths.  I also have a couple Prenolepis Imparus queens in test tubes.

#72 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 12:38 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

I thought the couldn't chew type 3...

#73 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 23 2020 - 12:42 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Uh oh. That's what I currently have my Tetra queen in. Hope I don't have that issue, although it's just the queen with some eggs and larvae currently, so I have a while.

Question, how full is your mini hearth after 3 years? I was thinking these ladies wouldn't last that long in that small of a formicarium. Was planning on getting a Hybrid Nest for them for when they outgrow.
Mine aren't in the Mini Hearth anymore, due to said escaping, but yours should fit comfortably in a Mini Hearth XL at year 3, assuming you hibernate them and don't feed too much.

• to_be_announced likes this

#74 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 23 2020 - 2:16 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I don't think a Mini Hearth would be suitable for a Tetramorium colony; as stated above, they can and will chew through the material. A nest-in-outworld setup would be better, such as a Palladium.

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#75 Offline to_be_announced - Posted July 23 2020 - 2:27 PM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSouth East Minnesota

Well, hopefully I'll have some time before I have to worry about that since it's currently just a queen with brood.

Currently keeping Tetramorium Immigrans and Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in THA mini hearths.  I also have a couple Prenolepis Imparus queens in test tubes.

#76 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 23 2020 - 4:26 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think it's more of a habitat thing. Up North there are tons of argentines, and the tetras can easily compete with them. There are like 5 colonies in this tiny spot and that's it.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#77 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 23 2020 - 5:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Yeah, Tetras prefer areas with less........ nature.
  • ANTdrew and Antkid12 like this

#78 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 24 2020 - 10:42 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

I think it's more of a habitat thing. Up North there are tons of argentines, and the tetras can easily compete with them. There are like 5 colonies in this tiny spot and that's it.
No kidding, I’m dying up here in Argentines. Sad thing is I’m happy to find a single Tetra worker.

Edited by TechAnt, July 24 2020 - 10:43 PM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#79 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 25 2020 - 3:29 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

All tetra queens now have pupae!

#80 Offline Antliebe - Posted July 29 2020 - 8:40 AM

Antliebe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Hi everyone,

Do tetramorium queens need to be fed while they are laying?  We want to be sure we don't screw this up. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users