• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetra Talk

tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 31 2020 - 1:34 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

My second year tetra colony is eating a scary amount… with a very large pile of brood. Wondering how large they'll get by Winter. :D

Wow, how many workers do they have?

Edited by Antkid12, July 31 2020 - 1:37 PM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#102 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 31 2020 - 1:38 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

They started out with 50-75 callows and pupae, and now have close to 150 workers, and 50ish more on the way. Many of the workers are the queen’s biological offspring. I also moved them into an AC Tetramorium nest, as I figured they’d be the only species around here that would actually appreciate and fit in one of his nests.

How do they seem to fill out that nest with only 150 workers?  Think that's what I will end up with for my Tetra's once they outgrow their mini hearth.

They don't fill up the nest, only taking up a couple chambers, but just give 'em a few months and they will.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#103 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 31 2020 - 1:39 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

My second year tetra colony is eating a scary amount… with a very large pile of brood. Wondering how large they'll get by Winter. :D

Uhhh. I honestly am not quite sure. It looks like they have around 200 workers. However, I don't really trust my estimation. All I know, is when I add a mealworm in or roach, they come pouring out. lol

• Antkid12 likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#104 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 31 2020 - 1:42 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Uhhh. I honestly am not quite sure. It looks like they have around 200 workers. However, I don't really trust my estimation. All I know, is when I add a mealworm in or roach, they come pouring out. lol

Probably much more than 200, that old of a colony should have over 1,000. My colony of 150 is still at the point where they're still timid foragers. 

• AntsMaryland likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#105 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 10 2020 - 10:55 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
So. It seems one of the 14 Tetramorium colonies I am raising to give out to beginners has laid what may be an intercaste? I didn't know Tetramorium could do this, to be honest.fb7e7d6bc57851c404a65f303d2cc6ef.jpga568727c64d7e9431695e58b482c8441.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#106 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 10 2020 - 11:56 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Cool! 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#107 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 10 2020 - 12:06 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I have seen a couple instances of this on this forum.

#108 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 10 2020 - 12:08 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Do you have any links? I would be interested to read them.

#109 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 10 2020 - 12:11 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Do you have any links? I would be interested to read them.

Not the one I was thinking of (of which I don't have the link) but I did find this:

Tetramorium tsushimae Extremely strange worker? - Ant Keeping Journals - Ants & Myrmecology Forum

#110 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 10 2020 - 1:33 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

My eyes have now seen some things. Yesterday I saw a bunch of larvae, pupae, and a bunch of eggs. Now in my Tetra colony I see like 10 new workers, even more eggs and larvae, and some pupae... :o crazy fast growth speed

Edited by TechAnt, August 10 2020 - 1:33 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#111 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 10 2020 - 1:49 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

My duo tetra queens have around 20 workers and no queen death yet!  (y)

#112 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 10 2020 - 2:59 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Found two nanitics a couple days ago (probably eclosed three days ago). Yay!

Edited by Kaelwizard, August 10 2020 - 2:59 PM.

• Antkid12 likes this

#113 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 10 2020 - 4:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My eyes have now seen some things. Yesterday I saw a bunch of larvae, pupae, and a bunch of eggs. Now in my Tetra colony I see like 10 new workers, even more eggs and larvae, and some pupae... :o crazy fast growth speed

Prepare yo’ self! Tetramorium don’t play.
  • AntsMaryland, Antkid12 and TechAnt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#114 Offline Antliebe - Posted August 11 2020 - 6:54 PM

Antliebe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

It sounds like Tetra's like it warm.....how do you keep ants warm?  We live in the mild Northwest.

#115 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 11 2020 - 9:11 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

It sounds like Tetra's like it warm.....how do you keep ants warm?  We live in the mild Northwest.

You can use heat lights (which is risky at times) or heating pads or heat cables, those methods are used more then heating lights and are also helpful. But I don’t think you need to heat Tetras, they grow way too fast enough.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#116 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 12 2020 - 4:49 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

All my colonies will have double the workers soon judging from the amount of pupae and larvae.

• AntsDakota likes this

#117 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 12 2020 - 6:12 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yeah, you'd run the heating cable/pad along one of the nest's sides (not the whole thing). This will be enough to heat a good part of the nest.

#118 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 12 2020 - 8:15 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

It sounds like Tetra's like it warm.....how do you keep ants warm? We live in the mild Northwest.

I have the test tube against a heating pad. I just reposition it if I only want to hear a certain area of it.

#119 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 18 2020 - 2:18 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
My colony now has 8 or 9 workers. It was kinda hard to see all of them because they are huddled at the back of a genesis insert. I gave them honey and a mealworm which they fed on immediately.
  • Antkid12 likes this

#120 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 18 2020 - 3:44 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

My duo colony still hasn't killed a queen yet..... :thinking:

• AntsDakota likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users