• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetra Talk

tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Mdrogun - Posted February 29 2020 - 5:33 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Am I the only one here that hates Tetramorium immigrans with a passion? They are invasive, generic, and uninteresting. A lot of what fuels my hatred is that they edge out native ants that are really, really cool. Like the Pheidole pilifera-group spp., and many species I'll never know they edge out.

Maybe I'd be on board the Tetra train if they grew faster, but even then it's not substantially faster than some of our natives, and in specific cases, slower than some native ants.

I might jump off the Tetra train if my natives were being affected. However, as I said before, there’s a nice balance between them and the natives. There’s simply too many Lasius and Formica completely dominating the area for them to have a chance of total invasion and destruction of the native ecosystem.

You are not realizing the damage they have caused because they were already established when you started paying attention to them. You don't think it's strange how the only dominant myrmicinae you're finding is the invasive Tetramorium immigrans? I don't know about you, but that would indicate to me that they likely replaced a number of native species that originally filled the niche.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#22 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 5:45 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

They found they're place in the ecosystem though, so they can't cause that much more harm. RIFAs on the other hand have not, and thus, can still cause worlds of harm. Same with Argentine Ants

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#23 Offline Mdrogun - Posted February 29 2020 - 6:02 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

They found they're place in the ecosystem though, so they can't cause that much more harm. RIFAs on the other hand have not, and thus, can still cause worlds of harm. Same with Argentine Ants

This is not true. I know Antscanada has spread the myth that Tetramorium immigrans is "naturalized" in North America. There is no scientific backing for this, at least that I could find. There are still parts of the United States where they are in the process of spreading.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#24 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 6:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Am I the only one here that hates Tetramorium immigrans with a passion? They are invasive, generic, and uninteresting. A lot of what fuels my hatred is that they edge out native ants that are really, really cool. Like the Pheidole pilifera-group spp., and many species I'll never know they edge out.

Maybe I'd be on board the Tetra train if they grew faster, but even then it's not substantially faster than some of our natives, and in specific cases, slower than some native ants.

I might jump off the Tetra train if my natives were being affected. However, as I said before, there’s a nice balance between them and the natives. There’s simply too many Lasius and Formica completely dominating the area for them to have a chance of total invasion and destruction of the native ecosystem.
You are not realizing the damage they have caused because they were already established when you started paying attention to them. You don't think it's strange how the only dominant myrmicinae you're finding is the invasive Tetramorium immigrans? I don't know about you, but that would indicate to me that they likely replaced a number of native species that originally filled the niche.
Solenopsis molesta are ten times more dominant than them. There are more of their alates than Lasius, yet they’re more subterranean. Doesn’t mean they’re any less dominant, though. Myrmica are also somewhat common. And there’s also a variety of natives still present including Brachymyrmex depilis, Dolichoderus sp, Ponera pennsylvanica, Temnothorax sp, Dorymyrmex insanus, some Aphaenogaster rudis, among others. So for your information, Tetramorium is NOT the only dominant Myrmicinae, (actually, they’re so uncommon that I wouldn’t even consider them dominant outside of the little areas the natives shoved them in to), so native diversity is still prevalent. Just because Lasius and Formica happen to be the most dominant does not mean they’re the only natives around! I’ve found natives that haven’t even been recorded in the state! That’s just how diverse we are, in spite of Tetramorium’s presence.

Edited by AntsDakota, February 29 2020 - 6:36 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#25 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 6:34 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Ok, point taken

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 6:40 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

This is not true. I know Antscanada has spread the myth that Tetramorium immigrans is "naturalized" in North America. There is no scientific backing for this, at least that I could find. There are still parts of the United States where they are in the process of spreading.
Well, it’s true here. Our natives have learned to control the fire and not be burned by it. I suppose you have a hard time believing that due to your hate for them.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 29 2020 - 8:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Tetramorium dominate in disturbed habitats filled with the Eurasian invasive plants they coevolved with. I’ve actually seen them decline first hand in my native plant garden. Native ants, including Pheidole, seem to be displacing them. If you plant it, they will come.
  • Mdrogun, TennesseeAnts and OhNoNotAgain like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline Mdrogun - Posted February 29 2020 - 11:11 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Am I the only one here that hates Tetramorium immigrans with a passion? They are invasive, generic, and uninteresting. A lot of what fuels my hatred is that they edge out native ants that are really, really cool. Like the Pheidole pilifera-group spp., and many species I'll never know they edge out.

You are not realizing the damage they have caused because they were already established when you started paying attention to them. You don't think it's strange how the only dominant myrmicinae you're finding is the invasive Tetramorium immigrans? I don't know about you, but that would indicate to me that they likely replaced a number of native species that originally filled the niche.
Solenopsis molesta are ten times more dominant than them. There are more of their alates than Lasius, yet they’re more subterranean. Doesn’t mean they’re any less dominant, though. Myrmica are also somewhat common. And there’s also a variety of natives still present including Brachymyrmex depilis, Dolichoderus sp, Ponera pennsylvanica, Temnothorax sp, Dorymyrmex insanus, some Aphaenogaster rudis, among others. So for your information, Tetramorium is NOT the only dominant Myrmicinae, (actually, they’re so uncommon that I wouldn’t even consider them dominant outside of the little areas the natives shoved them in to), so native diversity is still prevalent. Just because Lasius and Formica happen to be the most dominant does not mean they’re the only natives around! I’ve found natives that haven’t even been recorded in the state! That’s just how diverse we are, in spite of Tetramorium’s presence.

That's actually great to hear! I forget that South Dakota has an average population of one person per every 100,000 square miles :P. I see how this has effected our views. I live in the Midwest, suburbs of Chicago, and the story is unfortunately much different over here. They just do so much better because the environment is way more disturbed, I guess. It literally is Formica spp., Lasius spp., Camponotus spp., Tapinoma sessile, and Tetramorium immigrans. I unfortunately was the one that introduced the Tapinoma sessile when I was a child because I purchased them and then released them not knowing better. The Tetramorium immigrans still easily account for ~75% of the ant biomass in my area. Their nuptial flights are so loud that it sounds someone outside has a dump truck full of flies. Nothing about that is natural or healthy for the ecosystem. I have visited large state parks that have areas clear of Tetramorium immigrans. I finally then get to see Illinois' cool natives, like Aphaenogaster cf. mariae and Pheidole pilifera. As you can imagine this has made me despise Tetramorium immigrans. 

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 1 2020 - 5:08 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
The environment is pretty disturbed here, as well. Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Aberdeen, Brookings, Watertown, Pierre, Yankton, among others, are all just as suburban as a suburb of Chicago, and not from ten miles up. See the houses, roads, businesses, apartments, freeways, all the disturbance of a suburban environment. Look at a satellite view on Google Maps. Natives still rule in these areas.

Edited by AntsDakota, March 1 2020 - 5:13 AM.

#30 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 6:11 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

So what we should do is plant, it helps according to ANTdrew, and he's been antkeeping longer than we all have

#31 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 1 2020 - 6:32 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Well, I don’t need to.

#32 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 6:38 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yeah, I'm just saying as general advice for people who live in disturbed ecosystems... 

#33 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2020 - 8:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

So what we should do is plant, it helps according to ANTdrew, and he's been antkeeping longer than we all have

I actually haven’t been keeping ants very long. I’ve been into native plants for a long time, though. They’re not a cure-all or magical, but they do help boost diversity.
  • Scherme and TennesseeAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#34 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 8:57 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, and I've only been keeping for 1.5 years now, so not much to make my ant keeping career pale in comparison... 

• ANTdrew likes this

#35 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 1 2020 - 10:10 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Tetramorium dominate in disturbed habitats filled with the Eurasian invasive plants they coevolved with. I’ve actually seen them decline first hand in my native plant garden. Native ants, including Pheidole, seem to be displacing them. If you plant it, they will come.

maybe that's why I don't have tetras, my entire area is just native scrub and forest.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2020 - 11:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Definitely, ponerinecat.

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 1 2020 - 11:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Sadly, Argentines seem to thrive on these native plants. I personally would rather have Tetras than Argentines. I have found native ants here, but they only account for about 5% of the ant fauna here. There is however, sections of my neighborhood that are dominated by Monomorium minimum, so I think it is them which has made my neighborhood somewhat diverse, and this area in general. If I go just a mile or so inland, I find no natives. In fact, I find areas with no plants around here, with just native, sparse grass, seem to be the best for native fauna.

• ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#38 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 1:12 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

ok, good observation! This can help people who are seeking to stop Argentine ant spread and growth!

#39 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 1 2020 - 2:17 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

yeah, argentines don't seem to care about the habitat too much.

#40 Offline Canadant - Posted March 27 2020 - 2:55 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
My queen is up and laying eggs. I have about 30 workers. I'm so stoked for this season. These guys should grow really fast.
Gonna be awesome!

I got my formica through winter for the first time. she's laying again now with about 15 workers.
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users