• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetra Talk

tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 28 2020 - 4:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Where we discuss our favorite (or not) invasives!
  • ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted February 28 2020 - 7:52 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I guess Tetras are pretty efficient and as per discussion in other threads, they act fairly intelligently in general. That helps explain their success I suppose.

They are very quick to rescue lost brood and they aren't quite as picky about their food as my other ants have been. I'm still impressed by how one of them went on a personal brood-rescuing mission and single-mindedly accomplished her goal. She was very focused.

I didn't realize they sting, but apparently it's not a bad sting.

My Tetramorium in a mini-hearth has by far the most workers of any of my colonies. My other Tetramorium colony (seller mistook them for Veromessor) was doing well until I accidentally dehydrated them, killing half their workers.

They ARE small and they are good at escaping.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, February 28 2020 - 7:55 PM.

• Mettcollsuss, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 28 2020 - 8:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool. I love keeping these ants. They’re the only ants I’ve kept that always do what I expect them to do for their survival.

Mine have done best either in tub and tubes set ups or plain dirt. They love moving around sand, so definitely provide sand or other substrate. They don’t like light in their nests, so keep them covered and don’t peek in on them all the time. Feed them a lot, but beware, their numbers can get out of hand pretty quickly. Luckily, they’re easy to contain since they are such poor climbers.

I’ve also noticed their numbers declining in my yard for some reason. I found WAY less queens this year.
  • Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 28 2020 - 10:54 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Cool. I love keeping these ants. They’re the only ants I’ve kept that always do what I expect them to do for their survival.
Mine have done best either in tub and tubes set ups or plain dirt. They love moving around sand, so definitely provide sand or other substrate. They don’t like light in their nests, so keep them covered and don’t peek in on them all the time. Feed them a lot, but beware, their numbers can get out of hand pretty quickly. Luckily, they’re easy to contain since they are such poor climbers.
I’ve also noticed their numbers declining in my yard for some reason. I found WAY less queens this year.

Must mean your garden is helping the natives ants. (y)
  • ANTdrew likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 29 2020 - 3:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, I think you’re right. Crematogaster had a massive boom, so they may be whacking them back.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#6 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 9:34 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don't know what I'll do next! I might try to keep either Tetra, Lasius or Mymerieca (I think that's how it's spelled), but defiantly some good choices!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 29 2020 - 9:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I don't know what I'll do next! I might try to keep either Tetra, Lasius or Mymerieca (I think that's how it's spelled), but defiantly some good choices!

Put it in the hands of Mother Nature; keep whatever you find next.
  • Scherme, Skwiggledork and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#8 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 9:49 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Sounds like a plan! Sometimes I wish I could be as wise as ANTdrew, it seems like he knows all the answers The Dude doesn't...

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 29 2020 - 9:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Lol, thanks. Just set your alarm clock because these gals fly early!

#10 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 10:01 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I would bet, since they're all not a huge fan of light...

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 29 2020 - 10:05 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't have tetras here, somehow. Everywhere else I go seems to be bursting with them though.

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 29 2020 - 10:13 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Here in SoCal they are non-existent. I saw one colony, and it got wiped out by Argentines.

Edited by NickAnter, February 29 2020 - 10:56 AM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 10:52 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yikes

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:02 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Here there's a nice balance. Lasius and Formica tyrannically dominate, and Tetramorium get shoved into nice little corners and never get to leave. There they can fight their wars and found new colonies without being pushed around.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:08 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Sounds like a plan! Sometimes I wish I could be as wise as ANTdrew, it seems like he knows all the answers The Dude doesn't...

That's cuz he's my appretentice, and learns from my failures better than I can...  :lol:

• ANTdrew likes this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

And it appears he's taken on a few apprentices of his own. I sure feel I've learned a lot from him.

• ANTdrew likes this

#17 Offline Mdrogun - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:35 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Am I the only one here that hates Tetramorium immigrans with a passion? They are invasive, generic, and uninteresting. A lot of what fuels my hatred is that they edge out native ants that are really, really cool. Like the Pheidole pilifera-group spp., and many species I'll never know they edge out.

Maybe I'd be on board the Tetra train if they grew faster, but even then it's not substantially faster than some of our natives, and in specific cases, slower than some native ants.

• TennesseeAnts, Nare and DDD101DDD like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:42 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Am I the only one here that hates Tetramorium immigrans with a passion? They are invasive, generic, and uninteresting. A lot of what fuels my hatred is that they edge out native ants that are really, really cool. Like the Pheidole pilifera-group spp., and many species I'll never know they edge out.

Maybe I'd be on board the Tetra train if they grew faster, but even then it's not substantially faster than some of our natives, and in specific cases, slower than some native ants.

Nope. I feel the same.

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 5:06 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I might jump off the Tetra train if my natives were being affected. However, as I said before, there’s a nice balance between them and the natives. There’s simply too many Lasius and Formica completely dominating the area for them to have a chance of total invasion and destruction of the native ecosystem.

#20 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 5:20 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

That's cuz he's my appretentice, and learns from my failures better than I can...  :lol:

lol, falurie does lead to success however

• ANTdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users