• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock's Ant Journal (Discontinued)

ants & myrmecologyant keeping ant keeping journals camponotous camponotous pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#121 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 17 2020 - 12:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Honey mixed with a bit of water will be easier to drink. Maple syrup or sugar water is fine, too.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#122 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 1:22 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Okay, what about the cricket leg? Any suggestions on how to juice it?

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#123 Offline Acutus - Posted February 17 2020 - 1:31 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I will, just need to find out how to post a pic I have of her to the gallery

just go to gallery start an album, upload from your computer. When you make a post go to My Media and select Gallery Pictures and the code will get placed in your post!

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#124 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 1:32 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I did that a while ago but thanks for the help anyways!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#125 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 1:34 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I fed her about a month ago so I figure I'll feed her again, and hope she can pump out a successful batch! I'll feed her at 5 PM, and leave it in the out world until I notice mold (I keep all my ants in my bedroom, so I should notice mold right away, but it's also a little breezy, but the warmest room in the house lol.  

#126 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 17 2020 - 1:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Okay, what about the cricket leg? Any suggestions on how to juice it?

No big deal, just cut a section of leg or squeeze some juice out of the abdomen.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#127 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 1:42 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I cut the thigh (cuz that cricket has thunder thighs), and I could try to juice it. The only problem was I put him in my freezer, and an hour later I checked and there was no cricket juice (and I just coined the term cricket juice).

I'm sure it'll work out

Pessimism gets you nowhere 

• ANTdrew likes this

#128 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 17 2020 - 4:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t mean to literally put it in a juicer or anything. You just want a tiny bit of the soft inner parts, so the queen can lap it up without leaving behind chitin that could possibly mold. Insects are basically a hard case filled with liquid, so getting a drop of something soft shouldn’t be hard. Just cutting a small section of thigh would be fine, too. The whole mold thing is kind of overblown anyway.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

#129 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 17 2020 - 4:26 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Why are you feeding her? If she is not painfully thin, leave her be.  Serviformica are claustral, they have all the reserves they need.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#130 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 5:35 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don’t mean to literally put it in a juicer or anything. You just want a tiny bit of the soft inner parts, so the queen can lap it up without leaving behind chitin that could possibly mold. Insects are basically a hard case filled with liquid, so getting a drop of something soft shouldn’t be hard. Just cutting a small section of thigh would be fine, too. The whole mold thing is kind of overblown anyway.

I fed her a part of the cricket thigh and the juices did come out luckily. The honey water came out beautifully, looking just a tad like honey, and it'll stay there for a long time. Thanks Drew.

Why are you feeding her? If she is not painfully thin, leave her be.  Serviformica are claustral, they have all the reserves they need.

I fed her just in case she needed a protein fix. If she needs it, she'll eat it, if she doesn't need and it molds, I can always take it out. I don't mind the little extra hassle since it's on a piece of a paper towel it won't take me that long to take it out. Plus, the honey water will be their for (hopefully) her nanitics, that way she doesn't starve. I also fed her because I don't know how bloated her gastor is since she's been playing a mean game of hide and seek with me lol, so this way, she won't starve and she won't get stressed. 

• ANTdrew likes this

#131 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 18 2020 - 5:11 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

She is officially in the dark (and has been for the last 24 hours), her gastor has remained bloated even after she ate her eggs so I hope she'll lay eggs, and she has food if she needs it. I can barely get a glimpse of her silhouette if she's standing on the water tower (due to how the postcard I'm using to block light is) so that's a plus. Wish me luck, 7th (ish) time's the charm! :). Hopefully she'll at least have larvae the next time she gets a check-up (as if I was a mom I wouldn't want to eat that wiggling child that is hungry), but besides that not much to report besides if she decides to eat. See you all March 1st if nothing happens!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#132 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 25 2020 - 2:40 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

So the thing I'm using to block light fell off (so I had to put it back on), but she didn't seem to startled, so I figured I would sneak a peak at her mandibles (since she likes to carry her kids around). Didn't see her carrying anything, so she may or may not have brood, but I need to refill the water tower soon, so I could do a more detailed check then...

Also the cricket juice hasn't molded yet, so I am going to be thankful for ANTdrew this thanksgiving, lol

EDIT: I'll have to check in every once in a while to see if she actually laid, or what, but if not then I don't know what I'm going to do with her lol. 

Edited by Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, February 25 2020 - 2:47 PM.

• ANTdrew and Boog like this

#133 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 9:47 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Hello ladies and gentlemen, lads and lassies, I have an update or two. First off, the water tower was getting empty so I had to refill it (my queen decided to use her teleport ability, go figure), so now she's good for a couple more weeks. I also moved her formicarium onto a warmer spot (because my room is only 76-80 degrees, so I figured she should get some more heat), and also put her formicarium in a spot where half of it is in non-direct sunlight, and the other half is in the dark (this way she could start to get desensitized to light). She's been relishing it, and even going in the sun once or twice which surprised me, but she seems to enjoy it; another benefit is I can see her whenever I want to, and she doesn't mind! All and all, things are pretty good for her, and she doesn't have eggs, but I know she'll lay again, she just needs some TLC and patience. 

On the Camponotus side of things, my Camponotus colony will be coming out tomorrow (yay)! I'll update the journal when I see some activity, and I have a sleeve on them, so I'll have to see when they want to peak their heads out, but besides that, I'm living the dream! Have a wonderful day everyone! 

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Boog and 1 other like this

#134 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 29 2020 - 11:43 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

cool, my Camponotus already have pupae or a large larvae lol

#135 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 1:39 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

nice!

#136 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 6:21 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Well today is the fabled day I take my Camponotus out! Don't look at my status update because I kinda broke the box lol, but I'll message when they get active or at least somewhat active. See you in a couple hours (probably), and all hail Queeen Aphrodite!

• ANTdrew likes this

#137 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 6:37 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm not taking them in my room because o the condensation issues (there's already water in the container because of the water tower/feeder) so I would drown them out if I automatically put them in my room. To combat this issue, I am leaving her and her colony in one of the coolest areas of my house so they can wake up, and I can hopefully wipe down the water and make sure they don't get crap tons of condensation. I'm letting them stay in the cool room until 10:35 (two hours from now), so condensation would have stopped. After that, I'm taking out the Lego piece that is elevating the test tube slightly in case of flooding, giving them a sugargrass test tube, and feeding them some honey and a mealworm or two. Have a wonderful day everyone!

• TennesseeAnts and Boog like this

#138 Online ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2020 - 8:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck! Expecting big things from this colony this year.

#139 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 1 2020 - 8:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
My heated ants have condensation on the ceiling, yet the ants below seem unaffected. Every time I check them I wipe away the water with a Qtip.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#140 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 8:55 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I wiped it away with a tissue, and they didn't mind. The medians and queen are still passed out, but the 2nd gen was alive and well. One even decided to give me a hello and showed me how well her mandibles worked by just opening and closing them lol. Will most likely be a day or two before they come back, so I'll feed them some honey water and start to make the sugargrass tube. Now I can ignore Selene for Aphrodite! 

• Boog likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants & myrmecologyant keeping, ant keeping journals, camponotous, camponotous pennsylvanicus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users