• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Q&A Topic/ Campoculture! :)

ants & myrmecology ant keeping general ant keeping camponotous

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#21 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted September 29 2019 - 3:58 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I've read the journals too, except that was a few months ago.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#22 Offline Charles36 - Posted October 1 2019 - 4:24 AM

Charles36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'm new to ant keeping and picked up some Camponotous Barbaricus a few weeks ago but think they are trying to leave so need some advice on what I'm doing wrong.

This is the formicarium - https://antkit.uk/co...be-formicarium 

We were given fruit gel and told to pretty much leave them alone as it will take a long time for the colony to get established and then they can start being fed insects for protein. There's only 4 workers and a queen at the moment and a few eggs. I started off by putting a couple of pieces of gel in the nest but they dried out quickly and I didn't want to disturb them by scraping it off so just put the whole pot in. 

After reading online that they prefer higher temperatures around 30°c I moved them closer to the heat map I use on the side of my millipede tank. It's not touching and I have a second test tube used to check the temperature and it says 28°c which drops a few degrees at night when the central heating is off

Set up is here -

Any advice on what is wrong or something that's not being done would be appreciated

Edited by Charles36, October 1 2019 - 5:01 AM.

#23 Offline Aliallaie - Posted October 1 2019 - 8:21 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationManassas, Virginia, 20112
If you don’t me asking What is the issue?

#24 Offline Charles36 - Posted October 1 2019 - 8:34 AM

Charles36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Sorry that wasn't clear - they are trying to leave. They have taken the eggs from the tube with the queen and are walking around the 'outer world' part with the eggs. In the picture there is one ant in the corner protecting a large egg and the two at the top are carrying what lots to be a cluster of small eggs

#25 Offline Aliallaie - Posted October 1 2019 - 8:42 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Oh ok. Is the nest humid? Also did they go in the nest and then come back out?

#26 Offline Charles36 - Posted October 1 2019 - 8:47 AM

Charles36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Not sure how I can tell if the nest is humid or not, it's all sealed in the enclosure so I can't get a reader in there. It doesn't looks like it's steamed up or anything. They've been in the nest since we got them a few weeks back, just coming out to get some of the gel. But I've never seen all 4 workers out at once or seen them bring the eggs out

#27 Offline Aliallaie - Posted October 1 2019 - 8:57 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I meant like does the nest have a source for humidity? Like Cotten or something. Also do they have access to water? Is the queen out too or is she inside the nest? Because if the queen is still in there and they brought the eggs out they could just take it back in the nest. That shouldn’t be an issue. If the queen is out too then it means the nest isn’t working for them for many reasons. I tried to look up your nest link but it seems it’s been discontinued. When they move the brood they try to find the best suitable spot for it to hatch. Weather It’s temperature and or humidity.

#28 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted October 1 2019 - 9:00 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Not sure how I can tell if the nest is humid or not, it's all sealed in the enclosure so I can't get a reader in there. It doesn't looks like it's steamed up or anything. They've been in the nest since we got them a few weeks back, just coming out to get some of the gel. But I've never seen all 4 workers out at once or seen them bring the eggs out

If you have them on some form of heat and the test tube hasn’t run out of water yet then, yes the test tube is humid. Your posts are a bit confusing for me. Are they staying in the nest or are they refusing to move in? If they haven’t moved in yet give them some time but if they have moved in but are taking eggs out that’s a different story.
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#29 Offline Aliallaie - Posted October 1 2019 - 9:23 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Yes if they’re not moving from the test tube and it’s still has the water and cotton then leave them be unless you want to dump them out which you have to be careful. If they are coming back out of the new nest means they probably don’t like the nest and it’s not suitable for them. I suggest get a mini hearth from tarheelants.com. The nests there are made for camponotus and similar ants.

#30 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted October 1 2019 - 9:35 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Yes if they’re not moving from the test tube and it’s still has the water and cotton then leave them be unless you want to dump them out which you have to be careful. If they are coming back out of the new nest means they probably don’t like the nest and it’s not suitable for them. I suggest get a mini hearth from tarheelants.com. The nests there are made for camponotus and similar ants.

Actually I wouldn’t recommend getting a mini hearth for such a small colony. A simple test tube with a bit of substrate would work well until they get around 10-15 workers. If do you add substrate just remember sterilize it by baking it.

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, October 1 2019 - 9:35 AM.

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#31 Offline Charles36 - Posted October 1 2019 - 10:55 AM

Charles36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Not sure why the link doesn't work - it's from antkit.uk and is an AntHome Test Tube Formicarium - the test tube with the ants plugs into the bottom of the clear exploration area

The test tube we got them in has what looks like water held in with cotton at the end - which we were told would last them several months and no other water source was required.

Over the last few weeks occasionally we would see one or two ants that were coming out of the tube and into the main living area to get food but it was only today that all 4 were out with the eggs. I've never seen the queen out of the tube.

They have all gone back into the tube now - so it it normal for them to carry the eggs out of the tube sometimes? To air them or something? Perhaps I should only worry if the queen is out of the tube

#32 Offline Aliallaie - Posted October 1 2019 - 11:00 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
If they took the eggs back in you’re good. Yeah if they’re in the test tube then let them stay there. Make at least 2/3 of the test tube dark. That way they feel safe in the nest/ test tube area. Besides that everything is fine. Also if they stop eating in the next couple weeks is normal because that means they’re ready to go into diapause aka hibernation.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#33 Offline Charles36 - Posted October 1 2019 - 11:17 AM

Charles36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The test tube part is surrounded by red acrylic - is this sufficiently dark?

Also, should the temperature be reduced or anything to aid hibernation?

#34 Offline Aliallaie - Posted October 1 2019 - 11:34 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Yeah the red film is Perfect that’s what I use myself. Since the weather is starting to get cold I suggest to shut the heat off at night and back on during the day. Until November when it gets cold during day. then that’s when they go into hibernation.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#35 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 1 2019 - 1:50 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yeah the red film is Perfect that’s what I use myself. Since the weather is starting to get cold I suggest to shut the heat off at night and back on during the day. Until November when it gets cold during day. then that’s when they go into hibernation.

I am going t move them to my basement for 3 days and then set my wine cooler to 50 degrees Fahrenheit

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#36 Offline treehunned - Posted October 3 2019 - 8:09 AM

treehunned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationFairfax, VA

Yes I have cleaned the out world and nest. It’s a THA mini hearth. Last time I gave them meal worms and they didn’t touch it. Their gasters are very full though. They access to nectar all the time.

Same here, i have a tar heel minihearth with this same issue, I have camponotus chromaiodes and they seem to reject meal & wax worms. I'm struggling to figure out what protein they like best if any1 has any suggestions. It may just be hibernation coming up too cause they do drink the sunburst ant nectar from the feeder i have for them as I constantly have to refill it per week. I do freeze the bugs in the fridge before feeding my camponotus if that makes any difference. 

camponotus chromaiodes

#37 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 3 2019 - 11:14 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Yes I have cleaned the out world and nest. It’s a THA mini hearth. Last time I gave them meal worms and they didn’t touch it. Their gasters are very full though. They access to nectar all the time.

Same here, i have a tar heel minihearth with this same issue, I have camponotus chromaiodes and they seem to reject meal & wax worms. I'm struggling to figure out what protein they like best if any1 has any suggestions. It may just be hibernation coming up too cause they do drink the sunburst ant nectar from the feeder i have for them as I constantly have to refill it per week. I do freeze the bugs in the fridge before feeding my camponotus if that makes any difference. 

camponotus chromaiodes

Fruit flies are good feeders too, but I doubt they'll take protein with hibernation so close.

• treehunned likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#38 Offline Aliallaie - Posted October 3 2019 - 12:18 PM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Fruit flies worked. They have been eating them none stop since yesterday when I gave it to them. Try fruit flies.
  • treehunned likes this

#39 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 3 2019 - 12:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Fruit flies worked. They have been eating them none stop since yesterday when I gave it to them. Try fruit flies.

Awesome!
  • treehunned likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#40 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 3 2019 - 3:55 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Awesome!

Fruit flies are looking better and better

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants & myrmecology, ant keeping, general ant keeping, camponotous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users