• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock's Ant Journal (Discontinued)

ants & myrmecologyant keeping ant keeping journals camponotous camponotous pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#341 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 5 2020 - 10:58 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

not a problem

She's either unfit to be queen or a boosted alate, and I am leaning towards the latter option 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#342 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted April 5 2020 - 12:38 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Well she doesn't have wings, so she's definitely not an alate...

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#343 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 5 2020 - 12:40 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I believe he's trying to say that the person who sold it to him didn't actually give him a fertile dealate queen, but a queen alate either captured from a wild colony prior to nuptial flight or from a captive colony. The queen either shed her wings on her own, or the workers did it for her. Just because a queen doesn't have her wings doesn't mean she's successfully had a nuptial flight.

• TennesseeAnts and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#344 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 11 2020 - 8:30 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Aphrodite is officially dead. I checked on her, took a pic, sent it to Ant_Dude and he confirmed it. There is a drone larvae and there will be more on they way so it is time to say goodbye to them. It's been an unlucky anting year so far, but it's just the start of the year, so I still have high hopes

• TennesseeAnts likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#345 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 11 2020 - 3:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Damn, I’m sorry. Keep your head up, though. You got a whole new season ahead of you to find better queens.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#346 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 11 2020 - 3:45 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, that's my thinking exactly

#347 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 13 2020 - 1:23 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have extracted her from the colony and am going to send her to Zeiss for dissection. He warned me he may not find anything, but I am hoping he finds out weather or not she was mated or not. Thanks for your help Zeiss, and this will [hopefully] tell us whether or not she was a boosted alate 

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#348 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 13 2020 - 3:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck. I realized you shouldn’t keep your head up of you want to find a queen. Keep it down!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#349 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 13 2020 - 4:00 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Good luck. I realized you shouldn’t keep your head up of you want to find a queen. Keep it down!

Only if you want a lower chance of finding queens! Look to the sky with a butterfly net and swoop swish away! I got all of my queens by standing in my front yard with a net, looking for low flying queens.
  • AntsDakota, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Thunder_Birds like this

#350 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 13 2020 - 4:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
That’s exactly how I catch Lasius and Solenopsis. Most other species are too fast, though...........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#351 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 13 2020 - 5:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Duly noted
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#352 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 13 2020 - 5:12 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol, you're all wonderful, and made my birthday equally so. Thank you :D

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and AntsExodus like this

#353 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted April 13 2020 - 5:19 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Oh yeah, today is your birthday!! Happy birthday man!!

#Ants4Life

#354 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted April 13 2020 - 5:20 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Only if you want a lower chance of finding queens! Look to the sky with a butterfly net and swoop swish away! I got all of my queens by standing in my front yard with a net, looking for low flying queens.

Wow. Good for you. I usually just find them on the ground :lol:

#Ants4Life

#355 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 13 2020 - 5:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I have to find Camponotus and Formica on the ground, yet I can catch Lasius and Solenopsis in mid flight or on the ground.

#356 Offline AntsExodus - Posted April 13 2020 - 8:05 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I know someone who caught over 300 messor structor queens using a net in china!

#357 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 14 2020 - 4:25 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Seriously? He could sell them and make a ridiculous profit! Imagine the amount of money he could make from that! 

#358 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 4:44 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I know someone who caught over 300 messor structor queens using a net in china!

Messor structor is a European species. Either you meant something else, or they were imported, and hopefully not released (but your context makes it sound that way, though).

#359 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 14 2020 - 4:46 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

He said in China, so he may have read it on the news or have friend(s) or family in China. I don't necessarily think he imported them, I think he rather heard about it... 

#360 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 4:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I meant whichever Chinese person he was talking about.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants & myrmecologyant keeping, ant keeping journals, camponotous, camponotous pennsylvanicus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users