• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#2061 Offline AntsLA-1 - Posted July 20 2021 - 6:49 AM

AntsLA-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

One of my friends and I have been scouting out a few parks we found one park that had over 5 Pogonomyrmex Californicus Concolor colonies, and one Veromessor Andrei colony. We have been coming to this park ever since and we found no queens... until 7/19/21. Him and I walked home with an estimated 50-60 Pogonomyrmex queens each. 

Oh and has anyone caught Rugosus lately?

Edited by AntsLA-1, July 20 2021 - 6:14 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants are cute, that's that.

Currently Keeping:

Nothing

#2062 Offline yaboiseth - Posted July 20 2021 - 10:43 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
If it would just rain at Joshua Tree :( DAMN
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#2063 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 20 2021 - 11:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This summer season is already turning out to be just as bad as last year. The rain just hates CA.

• cocdeshijie and Antkeeper01 like this

#2064 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 20 2021 - 12:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Aside from a small portion of Cali near the NV border :lol:

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2065 Offline MojaveAnts - Posted July 20 2021 - 7:40 PM

MojaveAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Needles, Lake Havasu City area and Kingsman, AZ getting smashed rn with storms. Hmmm… to drive or not to drive……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MojaveAnts, July 20 2021 - 8:41 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2066 Offline MojaveAnts - Posted July 20 2021 - 7:54 PM

MojaveAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Edit: Sorry guys; duplicate post from my phone Tapatalk. Couldn't find a way to delete.

Edited by MojaveAnts, July 20 2021 - 8:41 PM.

#2067 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 20 2021 - 8:41 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Lake Havasu City area and Kingsman, AZ getting smashed rn with storms. Hmmm… to drive or not to drive……

Considering you need a permit to go to a different state to collect, it's kind of redundant (for the majority) to mention Kingsman, AZ. Also, are you from Ca, Az, or Nv; I'm a little confused why you talk in a California anting thread and made a Nevada anting thread, sorry.

#2068 Offline antsandmore - Posted July 21 2021 - 8:15 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

So I finally arrived here a couple days ago. I have to say I didn’t realize just how prevalent Argentines are. I have a whole supercolony on my property and I haven’t seen one native species yet.
Edit: double post

Did you move here?
Yep.

by poway you mean the san diego area right?

• Kaelwizard likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#2069 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2021 - 8:45 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

So I finally arrived here a couple days ago. I have to say I didn’t realize just how prevalent Argentines are. I have a whole supercolony on my property and I haven’t seen one native species yet.

Did you move here?
Yep.

Yeah, many people in Poway have a San Diego address, but I don't so I just put Poway as my location.

#2070 Offline antsandmore - Posted July 21 2021 - 8:55 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Did you move here?
Yep.

Yeah, many people in Poway have a San Diego address, but I don't so I just put Poway as my location.

cool! good luck catching new queens and colonies in this area!

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#2071 Offline MojaveAnts - Posted July 21 2021 - 1:37 PM

MojaveAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Lake Havasu City area and Kingsman, AZ getting smashed rn with storms. Hmmm… to drive or not to drive……

Considering you need a permit to go to a different state to collect, it's kind of redundant (for the majority) to mention Kingsman, AZ. Also, are you from Ca, Az, or Nv; I'm a little confused why you talk in a California anting thread and made a Nevada anting thread, sorry.
Not sure what you’re going through, but life will get better. Cycles of good times and bad.

Clearly I’m in Nevada if you read two sentences out the thread, its very apparent and absolutely zero hidden about it. So that little low key accusation you’re implying by asking which state I’m in; c’mon man. <slaps forehead> smh <and now… SportsCenter’s Not Top 10 this week>

Secondly; I spoke of Needles (SoCal), Lake Havasu, Kingsman… the whole area right there where the 3 borders sit got hit hard with red that sat over it for hours.

Was pointing it out to help esp since Mojave on Cali side has been dry this season.

Whatever you’re going through; you have to control your own self and emotions instead of projecting it onto others. You don’t try to condescend on someone for trying to throw pointers to help; usually its not normal for a person to take a free water bottle then try to splash the water on the giver (in your case, you missed cause my BS radar is 10/10).

Your social EQ and intention is quite suspect and shows a lot of your internal struggles. Don’t worry bud, things will get better for you, I promise.

As far as this thread, since it seems to trigger you so much; I’ll go back to lurk mode… but energy is neither created nor destroyed, so you’ll just end up trying to transfer your negative energy to someone or something else.

Best of luck to you…

Edited by MojaveAnts, July 21 2021 - 1:47 PM.

#2072 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:03 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Not sure what you’re going through, but life will get better. Cycles of good times and bad.

Clearly I’m in Nevada if you read two sentences out the thread, its very apparent and absolutely zero hidden about it. So that little low key accusation you’re implying by asking which state I’m in; c’mon man. <slaps forehead> smh <and now… SportsCenter’s Not Top 10 this week>

Secondly; I spoke of Needles (SoCal), Lake Havasu, Kingsman… the whole area right there where the 3 borders sit got hit hard with red that sat over it for hours.

Was pointing it out to help esp since Mojave on Cali side has been dry this season.

Whatever you’re going through; you have to control your own self and emotions instead of projecting it onto others. You don’t try to condescend on someone for trying to throw pointers to help; usually its not normal for a person to take a free water bottle then try to splash the water on the giver (in your case, you missed cause my BS radar is 10/10).

Your social EQ and intention is quite suspect and shows a lot of your internal struggles. Don’t worry bud, things will get better for you, I promise.

As far as this thread, since it seems to trigger you so much; I’ll go back to lurk mode… but energy is neither created nor destroyed, so you’ll just end up trying to transfer your negative energy to someone or something else.

Best of luck to you…

I don’t know why you reacted like that. Their response wasn’t rude at all, they were just confused by your post. They even said sorry. I also don’t know why you would accuse them of having something going on. As far as I have seen, ReignofRage hasn’t been rude to anyone and has also been quite helpful. I also don't see how they even projected their emotions into their post. There was nothing that implied they were jealous or angry. I also saw your post in the Nevada thread; it disappoints me to see a member insult another with no actual reason to do so (even if there was an actual reason, it would still be unprofessional).

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 21 2021 - 2:08 PM.

• Antkeeper01, ReignofRage and DaAnt like this

#2073 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:07 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California

Best of luck to you…

I don’t know why you reacted like that. Their response wasn’t rude at all, they were just confused by your post. They even said sorry. I also don’t know why you would accuse them of having something going on. As far as I have seen, ReignofRage hasn’t been rude to anyone and has also been quite helpful.

Agreed, that's definitely a huge jump to conclusions and also pretty rude in my opinion.
  • Kaelwizard, TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#2074 Offline MojaveAnts - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:11 PM

MojaveAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Best of luck to you…

I don’t know why you reacted like that. Their response wasn’t rude at all, they were just confused by your post. They even said sorry. I also don’t know why you would accuse them of having something going on. As far as I have seen, ReignofRage hasn’t been rude to anyone and has also been quite helpful. I also don't see how they even projected their emotions into their post. There was nothing that implied they were jealous or angry. I also saw your post in the Nevada thread; it disappoints me to see a member insult another with no actual reason to do so (even if there was an actual reason, it would still be unprofessional).

Sorry at the end of a sentence?

The implication behind that question of what state I am in when I clearly started a Nevada thread with plenty of background info on exactly where I am at in Nevada.

Yeah... I don't buy that "confusion" part at all.

But whatevs... 

#2075 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:13 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Best of luck to you…

The implication behind that question of what state I am in when I clearly started a Nevada thread with plenty of background info on exactly where I am at in Nevada.

But whatevs...
Sometimes things should just be taken at face value, not everything has some sort of subliminal message or deeper thought or ulterior motive. It sounds like you need to chill my dude.

Edit: Should also mention that the confusion is perfectly reasonable, don't expect anyone to read all of your content. Sure you could call it lazy when the answer is already posted but it saves everyone's time to just answer the question and move on.

Edited by TheAntGuy, July 21 2021 - 2:16 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and ReignofRage like this

#2076 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:20 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Best of luck to you…

I guess I'll adress this by each section of your reply.

1. I'm not going through anything, don't know where you got that from.

2. As I had said, I was confused. So I asked for clarification, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I even said sorry in reference for my confusion.

3. At the time of checking the rain that had fallen in Kingsman, Az it was not over the border, it was pretty centalized over the city.

4. The Mojave was dry in winter and spring, but has been getting rain for quite a while now.

5. Again, I'm not going through anything and wasn't projecting with emotion . It's quite funny how you go immediately to saying I have issues instead of just simply answering the quetion that was asking for clarification.

6. My ability to control my emotion is at a quite normal level, I don't know why you keep coming at this with the look of me not having integrity emotionally. And again, I'm not dealing with anything.

7. It never triggered me that you talk in this thread, my intention was to never shame you or question your validity. 

And as for this:

But whatevs... 

I was genuinly confused since you were talking about rain in California and Arizona and whether to drive or not, but are in Nevada. Sorry again for being confused like a normal human.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2077 Offline MojaveAnts - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:22 PM

MojaveAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Agreed. BUT... also, sometimes things should NOT be taken at face value. Not everything, but some things.

I feel like you are only looking from one point of view.

I chimed in this thread about diff stuff I see on doppler, mainly in SoCal. I chimed in the last time and mentioned Kingsman, AZ along with others as a general reference to an area and get that.

Also; sure it's reasonable to be confused. On the flip side; it's also one's responsibility to make sure they communicate clearly. In general person's lack of manners (or how they come across) isn't the fault of other people; it is a fault of their own even if they don't mean to.

Anywho.. gonna drop from this forum a bit. GL folks...

Edited by MojaveAnts, July 21 2021 - 2:23 PM.

#2078 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:25 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Agreed. BUT... also, sometimes things should NOT be taken at face value. Not everything, but some things.

I feel like you are only looking from one point of view.

I chimed in this thread about diff stuff I see on doppler, mainly in SoCal. I chimed in the last time and mentioned Kingsman, AZ along with others as a general reference to an area and get that.

Also; sure it's reasonable to be confused. On the flip side; it's also one's responsibility to make sure they communicate clearly. In general person's lack of manners (or how they come across) isn't the fault of other people; it is a fault of their own even if they don't mean to.

Anywho.. gonna drop from this forum a bit. GL folks...

Sounds like you're just looking for something to lash out at ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Antkeeper01 and ReignofRage like this

#2079 Offline MojaveAnts - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:27 PM

MojaveAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

That's CAP. It wasn't "just" over that city; there was plenty of red on that front on the Cali side. I got screen recordings of it. But like I said.. I'm dropping from here for a bit.

#2080 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:30 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
K cya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users