• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#2081 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:35 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Lake Havasu City area and Kingsman, AZ getting smashed rn with storms. Hmmm… to drive or not to drive……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering you need a permit to go to a different state to collect, it's kind of redundant (for the majority) to mention Kingsman, AZ. Also, are you from Ca, Az, or Nv; I'm a little confused why you talk in a California anting thread and made a Nevada anting thread, sorry.
Not sure what you’re going through, but life will get better. Cycles of good times and bad.

Clearly I’m in Nevada if you read two sentences out the thread, its very apparent and absolutely zero hidden about it. So that little low key accusation you’re implying by asking which state I’m in; c’mon man. <slaps forehead> smh <and now… SportsCenter’s Not Top 10 this week>

Secondly; I spoke of Needles (SoCal), Lake Havasu, Kingsman… the whole area right there where the 3 borders sit got hit hard with red that sat over it for hours.

Was pointing it out to help esp since Mojave on Cali side has been dry this season.

Whatever you’re going through; you have to control your own self and emotions instead of projecting it onto others. You don’t try to condescend on someone for trying to throw pointers to help; usually its not normal for a person to take a free water bottle then try to splash the water on the giver (in your case, you missed cause my BS radar is 10/10).

Your social EQ and intention is quite suspect and shows a lot of your internal struggles. Don’t worry bud, things will get better for you, I promise.

As far as this thread, since it seems to trigger you so much; I’ll go back to lurk mode… but energy is neither created nor destroyed, so you’ll just end up trying to transfer your negative energy to someone or something else.

Best of luck to you…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know why you reacted like that. Their response wasn’t rude at all, they were just confused by your post. They even said sorry. I also don’t know why you would accuse them of having something going on. As far as I have seen, ReignofRage hasn’t been rude to anyone and has also been quite helpful. I also don't see how they even projected their emotions into their post. There was nothing that implied they were jealous or angry. I also saw your post in the Nevada thread; it disappoints me to see a member insult another with no actual reason to do so (even if there was an actual reason, it would still be unprofessional).

Sorry at the end of a sentence?

The implication behind that question of what state I am in when I clearly started a Nevada thread with plenty of background info on exactly where I am at in Nevada.

Yeah... I don't buy that "confusion" part at all.

But whatevs... 

The confusion comes from when you said whether or not you should drive. It could be interpreted that you were going to drive to CA or AZ.

• Antkeeper01 and ReignofRage like this

#2082 Offline DaAnt - Posted July 27 2021 - 6:13 AM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Is anyone going anting?  It rained in LA county yesterday.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2083 Offline AntsLA-1 - Posted July 27 2021 - 6:52 AM

AntsLA-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

It also rained a little near palmdale.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants are cute, that's that.

Currently Keeping:

Nothing

#2084 Offline Andrengo - Posted July 27 2021 - 5:09 PM

Andrengo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLA County
I was out last night for a hike out near Desert Hot Springs. It was still pretty wet, but I did find a few Crematogaster queens. I really wanted to head out today to look for honeypot queens, but have been stuck working.

b35a82ec777cf65be15391f4ef0a491d.jpg

Edited by Andrengo, July 27 2021 - 5:12 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2085 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted July 27 2021 - 5:45 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

This summer season is already turning out to be just as bad as last year. The rain just hates CA.

lol

• Antkeeper01 and KadinB like this

:>

#2086 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted August 4 2021 - 10:07 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Would Pheidole still be flying in about a month?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2087 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 5 2021 - 5:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sure, in places they haven't flown yet.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2088 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted August 5 2021 - 7:33 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I was out last night for a hike out near Desert Hot Springs. It was still pretty wet, but I did find a few Crematogaster queens. I really wanted to head out today to look for honeypot queens, but have been stuck working.

b35a82ec777cf65be15391f4ef0a491d.jpg

yey another longtime member!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#2089 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted August 5 2021 - 12:11 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I'm assuming that means places that haven't gotten rain yet?

#2090 Offline ReignofRage - Posted August 5 2021 - 1:59 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationCalif.

That is exactly what that means.

#2091 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted August 5 2021 - 2:16 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Okay, just making sure. Not too used to rain affecting nuptial flights.

#2092 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted August 8 2021 - 7:29 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Looks like you guys are likely going to get some rain this week. Any places looking particularly susceptible to flights?

p120i.gif

Edited by JamesJohnson, August 8 2021 - 7:58 PM.

#2093 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 8 2021 - 7:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That is exactly what that means.

I just meant places they haven't flown yet. As for what triggers their flights, that depends on the species and location.

#2094 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted August 11 2021 - 7:21 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Rain! Right now! And tomorrow too. Has anyone gone anting near the Los Padres National Forest and would like to recommend some locations? I'm going to Santa Barbara this weekend, hence being here, and would like to take advantage out of the luckily timed rain. 

#2095 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 12 2021 - 6:24 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I have done some anting on Refugio Road. Sadly didn't find too much, and not a single queen. I did find some coastal sage scrub variant a little ways in from a cliff overlooking a beach, along with Temnothorax and Hypoponera. I imagine blacklighting would be your best bet.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2096 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted August 12 2021 - 5:39 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I have done some anting on Refugio Road. Sadly didn't find too much, and not a single queen. I did find some coastal sage scrub variant a little ways in from a cliff overlooking a beach, along with Temnothorax and Hypoponera. I imagine blacklighting would be your best bet.

A coastal sage scrub variant of Refugio Road? I don’t follow.

#2097 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 12 2021 - 8:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Oops. Phone typing... I found the coastal sage scrub variant of Camponotus vicinus. You can see my observation of them on inaturalist. Its just listed as Tanaemyrmex on there for now.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2098 Offline ReignofRage - Posted October 3 2021 - 12:18 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Camponotus yogi had flights recently.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2099 Offline DaAnt - Posted October 3 2021 - 12:46 PM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Did you find some queens?

Edited by DaAnt, October 3 2021 - 12:47 PM.

#2100 Offline KadinB - Posted October 3 2021 - 12:51 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Did you find some queens?

Yes he did

• DaAnt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users