• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#2101 Offline ReignofRage - Posted October 3 2021 - 1:10 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Did you find some queens?

I found multiple.

#2102 Offline Dumpling - Posted October 3 2021 - 4:01 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPasadena, California

I found multiple.

:D  What do they look like? Are you going to make a journal for them?

Edited by Dumpling, October 3 2021 - 4:05 PM.

My PFP is an ant. Yes. An Ant. I promise.

My all in one journal: https://www.formicul...-april-22-2022/

#2103 Offline ReignofRage - Posted October 3 2021 - 5:03 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I found multiple.

:D  What do they look like? Are you going to make a journal for them?

I have them in my Camponotus spp. Journal, bottom few posts should have pictures.

#2104 Offline ExponentMars - Posted October 29 2021 - 9:13 PM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Ooo I might join in on an anting trip if they're still a thing (this thread was started 6 years ago so idrk if anting trips still happen) 

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#2105 Offline ReignofRage - Posted December 10 2021 - 5:39 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Here is a map with public records* of Camponotus us-ca02 taken from multiple places such as Inaturalist, here and other forums, Discord, Antweb, etc. Take the record accuracy with a grain of salt as only the records with one kilometer or greater obscuring were labeled as such. The description of the map includes the disclaimer about record accuracy and that pulling off on random pull-offs can also be a way to find queens during flights. The flights seem to be triggered by days that reach ~75-80+℉. This trigger hypothesis is corroborated by the recorded flights that happened on 17.vi.2010, 7.iv.2012, 3.iv.2015, 31.iii.2019, and 27.ii.2020. The major flight that that happened 29.iii.2021 is excluded due to the heat spike reaching in excess of 88℉ and queens flying the day after when it dropped down to 80℉, presumably the heat was too hot. Speaking about the flight that was recorded about the flight in 2021 is that queens resided up in only pine trees until twilight, then they would drop down to the ground and start running around. Hope this helps you all with next year's flights!

Takeaway: Map link and that queens often reside high up in trees until twilight.

*If you want to contribute records feel free to PM them to me.

Edited by ReignofRage, April 12 2022 - 5:26 PM.

• JamesJohnson and 100lols like this

#2106 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 10 2021 - 6:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Here is a map with public records* of Camponotus us-ca02 taken from multiple places such as Inaturalist, here and other forums, Discord, Antweb, etc. Take the record accuracy with a grain of salt as only the records with one kilometer or greater obscuring were labeled as such. The description of the map includes the disclaimer about record accuracy and that pulling off on random pull-offs can also be a way to find queens during flights. The flights seem to be triggered by days that reach ~75℉ at around 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. This ~75℉ by evening hypothesis is corroborated by the recorded flights that happened on 17.vi.2010, 31.iii.2019, and 27.ii.2020. The major flight that that happened 29.iii.2021 is excluded due to the heat spike reaching in excess of 88℉ and queens flying the day after when it dropped down to 80℉, presumably the heat was too hot. Speaking about the flight that was recorded about the flight in 2021 is that queens resided up in only pine trees until twilight, then they would drop down to the ground and start running around. Hope this helps you all with next year's flights!

Takeaway: Map link, hypothesized flight trigger is ~75℉ at around 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., and that queens often reside high up in the pine trees until twilight.

Where I find these there are no pine trees, only live oak trees if any trees at all.

#2107 Offline ReignofRage - Posted December 10 2021 - 6:50 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Here is a map with public records* of Camponotus us-ca02 taken from multiple places such as Inaturalist, here and other forums, Discord, Antweb, etc. Take the record accuracy with a grain of salt as only the records with one kilometer or greater obscuring were labeled as such. The description of the map includes the disclaimer about record accuracy and that pulling off on random pull-offs can also be a way to find queens during flights. The flights seem to be triggered by days that reach ~75℉ at around 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. This ~75℉ by evening hypothesis is corroborated by the recorded flights that happened on 17.vi.2010, 31.iii.2019, and 27.ii.2020. The major flight that that happened 29.iii.2021 is excluded due to the heat spike reaching in excess of 88℉ and queens flying the day after when it dropped down to 80℉, presumably the heat was too hot. Speaking about the flight that was recorded about the flight in 2021 is that queens resided up in only pine trees until twilight, then they would drop down to the ground and start running around. Hope this helps you all with next year's flights!

Takeaway: Map link, hypothesized flight trigger is ~75℉ at around 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., and that queens often reside high up in the pine trees until twilight.

Where I find these there are no pine trees, only live oak trees if any trees at all.

The area where the queens were seen to be only in pine trees had multiple types. No queens were found on oaks, eucalyptus, or any other tree. It was more of a detail for areas with pines rather than saying they just won't be on anything besides pine. Queens can be found even in chaparral.

Edited by ReignofRage, December 10 2021 - 6:52 PM.

#2108 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 14 2021 - 1:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Obviously nothing flying now, but here is a video of a Crematogaster mating flight I took back in June.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#2109 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 14 2021 - 2:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Here's some pictures and videos from my 2021 desert anting trips.

This spot had a really specific speed limit. I got crazy and drove 15 MPH.

gallery_2_137_2149422.jpg

Just up the mountain a bit from Lucerne Valley, CA

gallery_2_137_191050.jpg

• Zeiss, B_rad0806, Arthroverts and 4 others like this

#2110 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 14 2021 - 6:29 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

gallery_2_137_191050.jpg

Wow 15 mph. You are a legend!!! :D

• B_rad0806, KadinB, azzaaazzzz00 and 3 others like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#2111 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted December 14 2021 - 5:55 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

gallery_2_137_191050.jpg

Menace to society 

• Antkeeper01 and KadinB like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#2112 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 14 2021 - 10:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Those Crematogaster are C. mutans, right?

Anyway, I wonder what old guy who thought he was so funny put that sign there.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2113 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 17 2021 - 1:59 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Those Crematogaster are C. mutans, right?

Anyway, I wonder what old guy who thought he was so funny put that sign there.

Now that you mention it, I think you might be right. I wish I would have taken some to ID. I just never think about that with Crematogaster since it's normally impossible.

Those speed limit signs were on private roads inside a mine.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2114 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 17 2021 - 2:05 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This makes trips to the desert soooo much better.

gallery_2_137_348714.jpg

gallery_2_137_737410.jpg

Amazingly, this was the best spot I collected from last season. :lol:

gallery_2_145_1082535.jpg

gallery_2_145_910326.jpg

• Antkeeper01, Dumpling and PaigeX like this

#2115 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 17 2021 - 2:36 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Now there just needs to be an A/C you can put in your car instead of having the car run all the time.

#2116 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 17 2021 - 2:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Now there just needs to be an A/C you can put in your car instead of having the car run all the time.

It has an AC. It just doesn't work unless the engine is running.

#2117 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 17 2021 - 3:05 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

It has an AC. It just doesn't work unless the engine is running.

Dang, useless A/C then.

#2118 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 17 2021 - 6:02 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

You have an A/C that works? woot! here I am on hot days with our car and no A/C xD 

And it seems our trash can be ants treasure.

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#2119 Offline Arthroverts - Posted March 25 2022 - 10:11 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

I've been finding lots of Veromessor pergandei and Camponotus vicinus queens lately in Hesperia and Oak Hills, in the case of the former I've been seeing queens wandering around on residential streets after dark, and flying drones and queens almost every day.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#2120 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2022 - 8:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I've been finding lots of Veromessor pergandei and Camponotus vicinus queens lately in Hesperia and Oak Hills, in the case of the former I've been seeing queens wandering around on residential streets after dark, and flying drones and queens almost every day.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

You're finding Veromessor pergandei out there right now? I didn't know it even rained there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users