• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#2041 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 23 2021 - 4:13 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

There was some rain out by Barstow/Lucerne Valley today. Too late for most things to fly though, right?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#2042 Offline cocdeshijie - Posted June 23 2021 - 4:21 PM

cocdeshijie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationCalifornia/Ohio

There was some rain out by Barstow/Lucerne Valley today. Too late for most things to fly though, right?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

More like a little early, still good chances though.

誰でも大好き!well.....except a few

cocdeshijie’s Formicarium Guides: https://cocdeshijie....cfe2df393b517f7

Ants API: https://ants-api.qwq.xyz/

#2043 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted June 26 2021 - 10:46 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Found formica queens at point reyes two days ago, 

#2044 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 28 2021 - 9:58 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
Anyone gonna go out anting for honeypots and wanna let me tag along anytime soon? Also acromyrmex season isn't until late July and August correct?

#2045 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 28 2021 - 10:17 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Strumigenys are still flying in OC. I would recommend pitfall traps, and pieces of wood with moist dirt underneath.

Cardiocondyla, Pheidole navigans, and Solenopsis truncorum have been flying pretty much daily as well.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2046 Offline Broncos - Posted June 28 2021 - 12:11 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

Strumigenys are still flying in OC. I would recommend pitfall traps, and pieces of wood with moist dirt underneath.

Cardiocondyla, Pheidole navigans, and Solenopsis truncorum have been flying pretty much daily as well.

Yea I saw navigans at a park I went to. Only a couple though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#2047 Offline MojaveAnts - Posted June 30 2021 - 9:21 PM

MojaveAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Looks like it rained a bit just north of Mojave Preserve. Anybody got/getting out?

Or waiting for bigger storms? Looks like the next big front will come near the mid of this month.

#2048 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 1 2021 - 5:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There was supposed to be storms all week, but it all died out as usual.

#2049 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:20 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
So I finally arrived here a couple days ago. I have to say I didn’t realize just how prevalent Argentines are. I have a whole supercolony on my property and I haven’t seen one native species yet.
Edit: double post

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 14 2021 - 7:20 PM.

• yaboiseth and Antkeeper01 like this

#2050 Offline Subverted - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:38 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Welcome to the land of argentine ants. You are unlikely to see many native species in places with irrigation...the unfortunate reality of California. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#2051 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:44 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

So I finally arrived here a couple days ago. I have to say I didn’t realize just how prevalent Argentines are. I have a whole supercolony on my property and I haven’t seen one native species yet.

Did you move here?

• Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

#2052 Offline yaboiseth - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:46 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Yeah they are awful. Supercolony that stretches through my entire suburban block, through busy roads and all. I have to drive places to find anything other than solenopsis xyloni, molesta, brachymyrmex or argentines in my area lol. San Diego, LA and SF have it the worst here.

Edited by yaboiseth, July 14 2021 - 7:48 PM.

#2053 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 14 2021 - 8:24 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

If you are fortunate enough to live near wide open spaces, a naval base for example, considerable diversity can be found in the suburbs. I have found 20 species in my backyard alone, most of those being alates found in the pool. Strumigenys can be found on moist soil under covering objects in even a small area with a lack of argentines.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2054 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 14 2021 - 8:26 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Have you caught any Cardiocondyla?

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, July 14 2021 - 8:26 PM.

My YouTube channel :)

#2055 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 14 2021 - 8:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yes, I have been seeing queens. I havent bothered keeping them, I have given up on the species for now.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2056 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 15 2021 - 6:50 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Did you move here?
Yep.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#2057 Offline cocdeshijie - Posted July 16 2021 - 1:31 PM

cocdeshijie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationCalifornia/Ohio

Myrmecocystus mimicus and navajo flew in Mojave last few days

• Antkeeper01 likes this

誰でも大好き!well.....except a few

cocdeshijie’s Formicarium Guides: https://cocdeshijie....cfe2df393b517f7

Ants API: https://ants-api.qwq.xyz/

#2058 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:17 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
I found a Pheidole queen but unfortunately the Argentines got to her before I could, as she was dead and legless. At least I have seen a native species.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 16 2021 - 2:17 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2059 Offline MojaveAnts - Posted July 19 2021 - 3:49 PM

MojaveAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Storms yesterday, today, and likely rest of week, and some at end of week in the Mojave areas.

Anyone getting out?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2060 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 20 2021 - 1:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

All in the wrong places.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users