• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2447 replies to this topic

#2021 Offline Broncos - Posted May 13 2021 - 10:10 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

A few days ago I found a dead Pogonomyrmex Californicus Dealate in a parking lot, is anyone catching live Pogonomyrmex queens yet?

I don't think they would be flying just yet. Although I think californicus can fly a bit early. Maybe is was a male test flight?

Edited by Broncos, May 13 2021 - 10:11 AM.

• ZTYguy likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#2022 Offline AntsLA-1 - Posted May 16 2021 - 5:34 PM

AntsLA-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Is it to early to be finding Crematogaster? This is a species I've really wanted.

Ants are cute, that's that.

Currently Keeping:

Nothing

#2023 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 16 2021 - 5:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No, they fly all Spring, Summer, and Fall here.

• Somethinghmm likes this

#2024 Offline AntsLA-1 - Posted May 16 2021 - 6:18 PM

AntsLA-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

No, they fly all Spring, Summer, and Fall here.

Cool. I'll look out for them.

Ants are cute, that's that.

Currently Keeping:

Nothing

#2025 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 8 2021 - 1:15 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Should see some major flights around Huntington Beach around Tuesday if the forecast is correct. I'm expecting Pogonomyrmex californicus, Hypoponera spp., Pheidole navigans, Solenopsis molesta, Solenopsis truncorum, Nylanderia vividula, Solenopsis xyloni, Brachymyrmex patagonicus and maybe the native Pheidole sp. that is around here.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2026 Offline Broncos - Posted June 16 2021 - 10:29 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
Just caught 12 pogonomyrmex californicus in Fairview park today. Very shallow founding chambers. All you need is a hand shovel and test tubes. I had to hike until the trail stopped and it looked a lot more like a desert. There are colonies cramped together. With founding chambers only a couple meters away.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#2027 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 16 2021 - 10:45 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Got eight Pogonomyrmex californicus  queens recently in Long Beach, didn't need to dig at all, they were out foraging or actively digging and easy to grab.

Edited by ReignofRage, June 16 2021 - 10:45 PM.

#2028 Offline Broncos - Posted June 16 2021 - 10:46 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
Yea that’s how I think 9 were for me. I only had to dig up 3. I found the rest foraging

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#2029 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 16 2021 - 11:27 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Yea that’s how I think 9 were for me. I only had to dig up 3. I found the rest foraging

Just stalk the chamber and wait for them to pop out.

#2030 Offline Broncos - Posted June 16 2021 - 11:28 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Just stalk the chamber and wait for them to pop out.
Yea. I wasn’t able to get one that popped out but the ones that I dug out had their heads at the best entrance which was kinda funny looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#2031 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 17 2021 - 12:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Going to head out to HB Central park this evening to go look for some. I know they used to be there, I'll just hope they haven't been pushed out yet.

Also, since it rained today I'll be expecting Hypoponera flights tomorrow or today.

• ZTYguy likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2032 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 19 2021 - 8:38 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
Here in Bako, I've been catching about 20-30 Pogonomyrmex each trip to Hart Park. Great spot for them, xyloni, brachy and formicas.

#2033 Offline Broncos - Posted June 19 2021 - 10:23 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Here in Bako, I've been catching about 20-30 Pogonomyrmex each trip to Hart Park. Great spot for them, xyloni, brachy and formicas.

Wow! Are you going back today? If there are flights today, I’ll go. Or if there are a lot of founding chambers I’ll go with a shovel

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#2034 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 19 2021 - 10:25 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
I might! Are you near here? I'd love an anting buddy lol

#2035 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 19 2021 - 10:47 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Plus there was rain yesterday night so I think its a perfect day for flights. Just very hot

#2036 Offline Broncos - Posted June 19 2021 - 12:39 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Plus there was rain yesterday night so I think its a perfect day for flights. Just very hot

Yea I think I like about 20-30 minutes away from the park. If it rained I better bring a lot of test tubes if I go. I’d just hope I have the time. The weather is crazy perfect. Rain the day before and hot today.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#2037 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 19 2021 - 12:47 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Yea I think I like about 20-30 minutes away from the park. If it rained I better bring a lot of test tubes if I go. I’d just hope I have the time. The weather is crazy perfect. Rain the day before and hot today.

Well let me know if you can head here and I can meet ya! I got like 60 new ones ready to go lol. In fact, I'm also about 20-30 min away from the park lol

Edited by yaboiseth, June 19 2021 - 2:05 PM.

#2038 Offline Broncos - Posted June 19 2021 - 5:06 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Well let me know if you can head here and I can meet ya! I got like 60 new ones ready to go lol. In fact, I'm also about 20-30 min away from the park lol
I’m going right now. . I like to go in the afternoon and until dark so that I can get some foraging

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#2039 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 19 2021 - 5:08 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

I’m going right now. . I like to go in the afternoon and until dark so that I can get some foraging

Sounds good! I usually stay until about 9ish depending on my finds. Ill be on my way shortly.

#2040 Offline Broncos - Posted June 19 2021 - 5:09 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Sounds good! I usually stay until about 9ish depending on my finds. Ill be on my way shortly.
Same. I’m going to DM you so the other members aren’t annoyed by the notifications

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users