• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#1281 Offline mallonje - Posted June 25 2018 - 6:51 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I'm still sitting on my P. Imparis. How long did it take for you to get the 1st batch? 

Founding:

1 P. Imparis queen caught 4/26/18

2 L. Umbratus caught 5/8/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/7/18 1st Eggs 5/17/18 

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/17/18 1st Eggs 5/22/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/31/18

1 T. Caespitum(?) queen caught 6/1/18

#1282 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 26 2018 - 2:59 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I'm still sitting on my P. Imparis. How long did it take for you to get the 1st batch? 

It took a few weeks last year for my P. imparis to lay.  This year I took her out of hibernation in Feb, and just laid, so took a long time.  I seem to recall she was the last to lay of the queens I had last year too.  The queen I caught this year hasn't laid, and still aggressively pulls at the cotton, so guessing she's unmated. 

#1283 Offline akaant - Posted June 26 2018 - 6:09 AM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA
The 2 queens i cought this spring have larvae now. don't know why its taking so long to develop.

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1284 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 26 2018 - 6:16 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

The 2 queens i cought this spring have larvae now. don't know why its taking so long to develop.

Mine took a very very long time last year too for the larvae to develop.  I think if I search thru this thread I posted about it with Nathan as couldn't believe how long it took.  If these eggs hatch and grow, I'm curious to see the size difference from last season's workers.

I wonder, do the workers feed the larvae from the repletes or fresh protein? 

#1285 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 28 2018 - 3:28 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Someone in NYC last night caught a bunch of Pheidole alates black lighting, and that air mass is moving our way.  Heavy rain today, leads to a long stretch of 80F-90F days that will be hot and humid.  Maybe it will actually be for real this time for flights :)  We're already 2-3" short of rain in a good portion of MA (let alone New England), so this rain fail is needed for more than just the flights.

Historically Temnothorax start flying early July, and they are night flyers so will only catch them after dark around 9-10pm when hot/muggy.   They will be attracted to lights, so a white sheet with a flashlight is all that's usually needed (until some people will get sick of catching them as so many...)  Obviously keep an eye out for Tetramorium flights tomorrow or especially Sat AM; don't panic if you don't find any as they will be flying for several weeks.  Formica and Aphaenogaster will start flying soon too.   Lasius alienus is going to start flying in July too, you will see the indicators as they will widen the nest, and the alates will pour out, and maybe fly, or maybe be herded back in (I usually see several false starts until they finally fly.)  So even if the big Camponotus flight doesn't happen this year, still plenty of stuff coming!

My Fall caught Brachymyrmex depilis finally eclosed, and holy cow these are the smallest ants I have ever seen.  They make my Temnothorax look big. I think one of these nanitics could ride on the back of a Lasius workers and she'd have no idea...  I heard they were small, but just now grasping just how tiny they are and regretting a bit keeping her as looks like a big challenge.

• rdurham02 and greenavacado like this

#1286 Offline akaant - Posted June 28 2018 - 2:41 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

I caught a Tapinoma sessile queen at 2:40 pm today. With the heavy rains today I wouldn't be surprised if major flights arrive tomorrow.

• noebl1 likes this

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1287 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 28 2018 - 2:50 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Lasius interjectus looking to fly in the rain.

(@mallonje I think these are the parasitic queens you want, they are HUGE for Lasius and bright orange)

7ObrcZk.jpg

GLpQkDn.jpg

• akaant, rdurham02, ConcordAntman and 1 other like this

#1288 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 28 2018 - 3:40 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Whelp, looks like the rain forced them to abort here as they are all gone and I didn't see any.  However other people in MA are reporting parasitic Lasius and Camponotus flying, so there may be a flight tonight in some areas.

#1289 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 29 2018 - 3:22 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Well I went out until about 10:30pm last night, and caught one random Lasius interjectus, though not sure if mated or not.  The colony I saw prepping early had workers at the entrance like they were considering flying, but I didn't see any alates, and with the need to get up for work, I went to bed so unsure.  Tetramorium and Lasius interjectus are being reported by people in Discord in MA however.

@mallonje these Lasius interjectus *may* be the parasitic Lasius you have been looking for.  They are very larger workers (about 4-5mm; significantly larger than most Lasius), and an amazing orange-yellow color.  They almost look like caricatures of Lasius as they are so large and really more bulbous/round than most Lasius.  I think they fly twice a year, as I've seen these fly in September as well during the large Lasius flights.

I tried black lighting for the first time (which is how I got this Lasius), but there were SO many beetles, so so so many beetles...

#1290 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 29 2018 - 4:02 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Also getting reports from IL thru MA of Formica pallidefulva starting to fly today

#1291 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted June 29 2018 - 9:43 AM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

I found 2 Tetramorium queens this morning thanks to the ID of noebl1

I also checked under a rock near a tetramorium colony I've been watching and it was swarming with alates. Hoping to see a flight tonight. 

• noebl1 likes this

#1292 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 29 2018 - 4:27 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

L. interjectus finally flew, watched them for a good hour launching hundreds of alates, and found 1...  I found a couple Camponotus pennsylvanicus alates as well.

ekNgdAL.gif

• rdurham02 and greenavacado like this

#1293 Offline mallonje - Posted June 29 2018 - 5:49 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

That is awesome! 

I went out around 2pm today, I found a field loaded with dead male C. Pennsylvanicus but not much else. 

I think I'm going to head out in a bit for a flashlight find. 

Founding:

#1294 Offline mallonje - Posted June 29 2018 - 5:51 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Oddly enough - speaking of microclimates the Weather channels says it's 73, Accuweather says 79, my weather station says 82.  

• noebl1 likes this

Founding:

#1295 Offline akaant - Posted June 29 2018 - 6:30 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

I found many  Tetramorium queens and 1 C. Pennsylvanicus male.

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1296 Offline mallonje - Posted June 29 2018 - 7:12 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Akaant - I can't find any Tetramorium queens. Where have you been having luck? (under rocks, pools, etc?) 

All I found was a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus male.   

Founding:

#1297 Offline zkublin - Posted June 30 2018 - 1:40 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Just got back from my 4 month old puppy’s 5am bathroom run. I am down at the cape at a place with a pool. I just fished at least 20-30 tetramoriim aliates out of the pool!!! I have 2 questions....

1. How do I know if they are males or queens (I have always struggled with telling the sexes apart with their wings still attached)?

2. Assuming I have at least 1 queen in the bunch, anyone know a good way to try to help them get the pool chemicals off them, or do I just leave them all be in the ziplock bags I currently have them in until I can get them home on Sunday and sort them all out with testubes?

#1298 Offline akaant - Posted June 30 2018 - 4:15 AM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

Akaant - I can't find any Tetramorium queens. Where have you been having luck? (under rocks, pools, etc?) 

All I found was a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus male.   

I found most of mine along a road with forest on one side. I seen many freshly dug nests at the park. 

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1299 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 30 2018 - 5:48 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

@mallonje  I noticed the same, except I was on the cold end of it, when you sent that I was 72F, and not too far away, crazy.

@zkublin Congrats on the new puppy!  Drones of Tetramorium have much smaller gasters and look more wasp like than the queens.   I'd rinse them off briefly (they can take water for a bit), maybe put some paper towels in the zip log bags as well.

I was out for a couple hours black lighting and didn't get anything other than many june beetles as temp dropped pretty quick to 70F after the sun went down.  This is when I stopped seeing the Camponotus, so guessing it was too cool (betting today may be better.)

I have one shot to try to get this L. interjectus to try to found which stinks, was hoping for more.  Her jaws look brutal compared to the L. umbratus queens.

• mallonje likes this

#1300 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 30 2018 - 6:37 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Finding Tetramorium flew here too, found a bunch of them driveway hiding under leaves and such.

Edited by noebl1, June 30 2018 - 8:09 AM.

• rdurham02 and ConcordAntman like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users