• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#1301 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 30 2018 - 10:19 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

All three are sitting on a brood pile and appear healthy so far. From what I'm reading I plan to feed after the first nanitics eclose, but what? Freeze/thawed insects? Honey? Sugar water? 

• noebl1 and greenavacado like this

#1302 Offline greenavacado - Posted June 30 2018 - 10:48 AM

greenavacado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSeacoast NH

@noebl1 great pics of the swarming! L. Interjectus definitely are pretty cool looking, I let mine go shortly after catching since I don't have a Lasius colony to help start. Best of luck! 

Seems like there was a big Tetra flight up here as well, found 1 Tetra queen and countless male alates(mostly dead, but they're everywhere)

#1303 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted June 30 2018 - 2:21 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

The Tetramorium nests in my yard flew today all opened wide. found 3 new queens and a couple males. The carpenter ants in my driveway went insane too I'm pretty sure they collected all the dead males as I saw a couple scurry off with some. 

I found all 3 of my queens in my driveway where there are a couple big nests. 

Might take a walk and look for more later. Havent seen any other species yet. 

#1304 Offline zkublin - Posted June 30 2018 - 3:26 PM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

@mallonje I noticed the same, except I was on the cold end of it, when you sent that I was 72F, and not too far away, crazy.

@zkublin Congrats on the new puppy! Drones of Tetramorium have much smaller gasters and look more wasp like than the queens. I'd rinse them off briefly (they can take water for a bit), maybe put some paper towels in the zip log bags as well.

I was out for a couple hours black lighting and didn't get anything other than many june beetles as temp dropped pretty quick to 70F after the sun went down. This is when I stopped seeing the Camponotus, so guessing it was too cool (betting today may be better.)

I have one shot to try to get this L. interjectus to try to found which stinks, was hoping for more. Her jaws look brutal compared to the L. umbratus queens.

#1305 Offline zkublin - Posted June 30 2018 - 3:29 PM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

@mallonje I noticed the same, except I was on the cold end of it, when you sent that I was 72F, and not too far away, crazy.

@zkublin Congrats on the new puppy! Drones of Tetramorium have much smaller gasters and look more wasp like than the queens. I'd rinse them off briefly (they can take water for a bit), maybe put some paper towels in the zip log bags as well.

I was out for a couple hours black lighting and didn't get anything other than many june beetles as temp dropped pretty quick to 70F after the sun went down. This is when I stopped seeing the Camponotus, so guessing it was too cool (betting today may be better.)

I have one shot to try to get this L. interjectus to try to found which stinks, was hoping for more. Her jaws look brutal compared to the L. umbratus queens.

I can’t tell the difference between any of the gasters for any of the aliates I caught. And unfortunately I can’t figure out if they are drones or queens, I will post pics if i can for some help. So I assume I got a ton of queens or a ton of drones. Drones don’t live too long after flying though right? So if they are still alive tomorrow can I assume they are queens?
  • noebl1 likes this

#1306 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 30 2018 - 3:44 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

@zkublin  Heads will be tiny on the males too, and they'll probably be dying very very soon, so you'll know :)

#1307 Offline mallonje - Posted June 30 2018 - 5:35 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Wing scars First. 

Tiny Heads Second. 

Fat round (not pointy ended) gastors Third.

Alive a day or two later Fourth. 

• noebl1 likes this

Founding:

1 P. Imparis queen caught 4/26/18

2 L. Umbratus caught 5/8/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/7/18 1st Eggs 5/17/18 

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/17/18 1st Eggs 5/22/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/31/18

1 T. Caespitum(?) queen caught 6/1/18

#1308 Offline mallonje - Posted June 30 2018 - 5:42 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Under the caveat of "under normal conditions"  - when do Formica normally fly in Mass? I ask because I found a little local meadow just rotten with formica, that I've been keeping an eye on, and I think I noticed today that they are all beginning to widen their mound entrances.  

Edited by mallonje, June 30 2018 - 5:42 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

Founding:

#1309 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 1 2018 - 6:24 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I saw a handful of Camponotus drones last night on my black light, not seeing any signs of flights by me, but people closer to Boston reported to find queens today.  Also another L. interterjectus flight last night.

This AM finding dealates of Tetramorium, so looks like they also flew again this AM.    

Formica are starting to fly @mallonje, so worth checking them out for sure. People reported Formica flying Friday closer to Boston.  Today is supposed to be very hot and humid (hottest so far), so today is an ideal day for flights of many kinds.

• mallonje likes this

#1310 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 3 2018 - 4:14 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Didn't see much last night, wonder if we need a bit of rain, maybe today?

BTW saw this over on Discord:

Lasius alienus in North America is now Lasius americanus.
Lasius flavus in North America is now Lasius brevicornis.
Lasius umbratus in North America is now Lasius aphidicolus.
Leptothorax muscorum in North America is now Leptothorax canadensis.
Formica fusca in North America is now Formica subaenescens.

https://onlinelibrar....1111/jbi.13380

#1311 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted July 3 2018 - 4:21 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

So I managed to catch 5 Tetra queens and 4 have started to lay eggs. 3 have nice little piles and are tending to them one is scattered. 

I felt them alone all weekend and I'm going to leave them for a week before I check again. 

2 questions.

One, I was thinking of putting them in my garage its like a big shed with open windows but secure from elements. Its usually the same temps as outside inside except maybe a little cooler on the hottest days and a little warmer on colder. Seems like a good place to keep them but wanted to check first. 

Two, the cotton ball that seals the water how much of it should be wet? I have them so just a little water on the sides gets to the edge without leaking but most the part that is near the ant is dry. 

thanks for all the info

• greenavacado likes this

#1312 Offline greenavacado - Posted July 4 2018 - 6:21 AM

greenavacado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSeacoast NH

@fleetingyouth I'm kind of a newbie at this but from what I understand the water line should be right to the edge of the cotton, so that the surface is slightly moist. I think it serves a dual purpose, as the water keeps a constant humidity, but also gives the ants a water source to drink.

Hoping last night's showers and the intense heat today gives us some freedom flights :D

Happy 4th everyone!

• ConcordAntman likes this

#1313 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted July 4 2018 - 10:54 AM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Got 4 queens off my car this morning. I'm guessing tetramorium. here's hoping I get a sustainable colony this year.

Might try blacklighting for some temnothorax, and I found some termites in a nearby park. My try to set up a feeder colony.

Edited by RhodyAnts, July 4 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#1314 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 5 2018 - 1:33 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Tetramorium and Temnothorax flying here in RI! I found a dealate of both species walking right next to each other!

#1315 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 6 2018 - 12:33 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Temnothorax have been flying here too, they were everywhere last night.  Any night that's warm and humid, about 9-10pm they start flying, and are attracted to white reflective surfaces with even a slight light to it (my deck LEDs attract them in huge numbers).  While I did have some success with them black lighting, I had better luck on the deck.

Tip for Temnothorax:  Don't bother grabbing any with wings, they are likely unmated.  I find they tend to settle on posts, male and females, mingle a bit, and then will drop wings fairly quickly after mating.  

#1316 Offline mallonje - Posted July 6 2018 - 2:15 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
After having little to no luck the past 3 days, I just found a queen scurrying across my back porch.

Tiny, maybe 2mm, jet black, no hair.

Working on the ID now.
  • noebl1 likes this

Founding:

#1317 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 6 2018 - 3:44 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I'm seeing some Temnothorax alates out now, looks like they took up residence in my deck lights...  I can see them from underneath.

@mallonje  I grabbed a handful of Tetramorium alates in case you didn't find any.

• mallonje likes this

#1318 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 6 2018 - 4:32 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
My 3 queens and their broods are ticking along. In perhaps 2-3 weeks the first nanitics will eclose.
http://www.formicult...a-9ffcc6b32c02/
I’ve gotten more test tubes and additional AC test tube portals. Once the nanitics eclose, I’ll use the test tube portals as foraging chambers and the addition test tubes to change out the founding tubes so I can clean them.

Edited by ConcordAntman, July 6 2018 - 4:46 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

#1319 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 6 2018 - 4:55 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

My 3 queens and their broods are ticking along. In perhaps 2-3 weeks the first nanitics will eclose.
http://www.formicult...a-9ffcc6b32c02/
I’ve gotten more test tubes and additional AC test tube portals. Once the nanitics eclose, I’ll use the test tube portals as foraging chambers and the addition test tubes to change out the founding tubes so I can clean them.

Looks like the gallery may be private :(

My Camponotus are all getting close except for one C. americanus is a week or so behind the others.  My P. imparis I think laid a bit more eggs, so maybe this colony won't collapse, though they are still pretty boring of all my ants...

Have to admit this was a bizarre season, I don't think the giant Camponotus flight happened this year in the North east.  I've seen multiple people from NY thru ME on Discord, and no one saw it.  Very very strange.  Then again, as a home owner I'm not complaining.

• ConcordAntman and greenavacado like this

#1320 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 7 2018 - 5:46 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Looks like the gallery may be private :(

I’m clearly not getting how to post pictures

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users