• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#1241 Offline Miles - Posted June 13 2018 - 2:41 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

That's right, this is a Camponotus worker - likely a large media or a small major. Tentative ID would be Camponotus pennsylvanicus, though with this kind of image quality I'd say that's not definite.

Edited by Miles, June 13 2018 - 2:41 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#1242 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 13 2018 - 2:45 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

That's right, this is a Camponotus worker - likely a large media or a small major. Tentative ID would be Camponotus pennsylvanicus, though with this kind of image quality I'd say that's not definite.

I agree, you beat me to it!

It's been cool or dry the last week or so, so not much has happened in the way of flights.  Though people have seen some Tetramorium and Nylanderia.  I thought I saw a C. pennsylvanicus dealate, we ran out to check and it ducked away, however assuming it was, guessing it's a fluke.  In the next few days supposed to get much warmer, though still dry so I'm still curious to see if any flights start this weekend.

#1243 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 13 2018 - 6:41 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
So far I have 3 surviving C pennsylvanicus queens and each have a clutch of 5-6 eggs. It’s been nearly a month so I’d expect them to begin to eclose in another 4 weeks.
  • noebl1 and mallonje like this

#1244 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 14 2018 - 6:24 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

So far I have 3 surviving C pennsylvanicus queens and each have a clutch of 5-6 eggs. It’s been nearly a month so I’d expect them to begin to eclose in another 4 weeks.

My C. americanus eggs from about 3.5 weeks ago are still small but more elongated now, can't tell if they hatched as still appear to be yellow/orange in color. I *guess* they could be infertile, though that would mean all four were duds.  My C. nearticus brood are a bit farther a long as look like they are at the larval stage, however being a much smaller species, that doesn't surprise me that they'd develop a bit faster.  When I found a wild colony of C. americanus a few years ago that were in their founding chamber in early April, and there was 5 or 6 nanitics and a tiny pile of brood, so I don't think they grow super fast initially.

I haven't been heating mine, so they've been at upper-70Fs to low 80Fs in temperature, probably not helping.  From what I've read, without heat it can take 2-3 months for them to go from egg to worker.

BTW NWS just tweeted this, if it's dry Sat/Sun, I predict Mon could be a very large Camponotus flight:

@NWSBoston
[Record Heat/Humidity Possible Monday] Potential for high temperatures to  reach well into the 90s on Monday along with excessive humidity. The excessive heat/humidity looks short lived, but the potential for heat index values  of 100+ exists Monday afternoon.

Edited by noebl1, June 14 2018 - 7:59 AM.

• rdurham02 and ConcordAntman like this

#1245 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 14 2018 - 10:03 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
I know I’m a bit premature but I’m still thinking about formicaria particularly those from Tar Heel Ants. If I’m lucky, I might get 3 colonies. In reading about C pennsylvanicus I see that the species likes warm conditions. If that’s the case and you have a THA formicarium, how do you create the heat gradient? The formicaria are small compared to reptile heating pads. I found this online https://www.pangeare...AiABEgL3cPD_BwE
It’s trim-able so it can be modified for small formicaria. Any thoughts?

#1246 Offline akaant - Posted June 14 2018 - 2:09 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

My C. americanus eggs from about 3.5 weeks ago are still small but more elongated now, can't tell if they hatched as still appear to be yellow/orange in color. I *guess* they could be infertile, though that would mean all four were duds.  My C. nearticus brood are a bit farther a long as look like they are at the larval stage, however being a much smaller species, that doesn't surprise me that they'd develop a bit faster.  When I found a wild colony of C. americanus a few years ago that were in their founding chamber in early April, and there was 5 or 6 nanitics and a tiny pile of brood, so I don't think they grow super fast initially.

I haven't been heating mine, so they've been at upper-70Fs to low 80Fs in temperature, probably not helping.  From what I've read, without heat it can take 2-3 months for them to go from egg to worker.

If the brood develop into males then your queen is most likely infertile. In my experience  C. americanus don't like heating and will avoid heated areas. 70-80 F room temperature is fine.

ConcordAntman -  Use a reptile heating cable since it can heat multiple nests and you can put it anywhere.
  • noebl1 and ConcordAntman like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1247 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 14 2018 - 4:14 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Thanks akaant. I looked at the reptile heating cables or pads. They seemed huge compared to the size of a formicarium. That’s why this heating tape was attractive. As to the heating, I was reading the pinned thread on C pennsylvanicus (Ant keeping/Ant care/C pennsylvanicus) by Crystals which suggested the species is heat-loving. Right now I have them in test tube setups, placed in a box which is placed in a closet. With great restraint, I try to just check them once a week. After nearly 20 years of trying on and off, this is the farthest I’ve gotten in my attempts to rear a self sustaining colony so I’m cautiously hoping for success while trying to do everything to foster it.

#1248 Offline akaant - Posted June 14 2018 - 5:02 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

C pennsylvanicus absolutely is a heat loving species. I personally try keeping my C pennsylvanicus colony at 80-84 F all day and night. Heating a test tube setup you need to be very careful not to heat the cotton  ball holding back the water. Doing so may cause leakage or too much condensation possibly kill the brood. This is how I setup my test tubes. E2lqU8E.jpg

Edited by akaant, June 14 2018 - 5:10 PM.

• noebl1, ConcordAntman and greenavacado like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1249 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 14 2018 - 7:54 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Great shot akaant, thanks! I have the AntsCanada test tube rack, it has a heating port so I can adapt a heating source. I assume you also have a thermostat for the heating cable?

#1250 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 15 2018 - 3:56 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

In my experience  C. americanus don't like heating and will avoid heated areas. 70-80 F room temperature is fine.

Thanks!  This is my first time keeping C. americanus since I found a starter colony a couple years ago (and that was a disaster), so wasn't sure.

I'm in legit colony overload.  All my Lasius and Crematogaster Fall caught colonies eclosed the same week. 

• akaant likes this

#1251 Offline greenavacado - Posted June 16 2018 - 1:19 PM

greenavacado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSeacoast NH

T. Sessile flying in NH, got to watch alates pour out of a colony in my backyard around noon. 

• rdurham02 and ConcordAntman like this

#1252 Offline rdurham02 - Posted June 16 2018 - 3:36 PM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Camponotus novaeboracensis flight is occurring in Southern Maine! Just snagged myself three. Looks like Tetramorium may fly soon since I noticed they were starting to widen their nest entrances and a lot of frenetic activity. 

• greenavacado likes this

#1253 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 16 2018 - 4:29 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Haven't seen anything here at all yet, been watching.  Boy does Sunday, Monday if not Tuesday look primed now...  If the next couple of days there isn't the big Camponotus flight, I'd be really surprised: https://twitter.com/...082553327243265

Pulling up my records from last year, conditions look very similar.  We had a 2 week gap of cooler weather, temperature hit 86F on 6/10 and they started flying and had their big flight.  This flight lasted into 6/11 which was 94F, and continued for a couple of days.  Was the unofficial kick off for the anting season with Tetramorium and others starting shortly after.  Last year was a bad flight year as well, so this year in theory should be better.

Edited by noebl1, June 16 2018 - 4:32 PM.

• akaant, ConcordAntman and greenavacado like this

#1254 Offline greenavacado - Posted June 16 2018 - 6:23 PM

greenavacado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSeacoast NH

I went back out to find some T. Sessile queens but found this instead:

6/16 ?
6/16 ?

I'm not quite sure what she is, still looking into it. Once she settles down I'll try to take some better pics.

(I'm starting to realize taking pictures of queens is just as hard if not harder than finding them, haha)

#1255 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 16 2018 - 6:32 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
Lasius interjectus maybe? Someone in NYC found one tonight too.

#1256 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted June 16 2018 - 6:55 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

So for a first timer if and when we get a flight other than walking around looking on sidewalks or under logs what should I look out for? I see a lot of ants but don't find many nests. i do know what it looks like when a nest swarms with alates though have seen that in the past. 

#1257 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 17 2018 - 6:27 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

So for a first timer if and when we get a flight other than walking around looking on sidewalks or under logs what should I look out for? I see a lot of ants but don't find many nests. i do know what it looks like when a nest swarms with alates though have seen that in the past. 

I've rarely seen alates leaving the nest accept for Lasius.  Even with all the Camponotus and Temnothorax here, I've never actually seen them leaving a nest!  You also don't want them right out of the nest anyways as more than likely unmated.

We've been in a lull the last couple of weeks, so don't let that deter you.  It's all about getting out there and looking, especially if warm and humid.  I often grab a handful of test tubes and just got out walking, whether at work or at home.  Some species are much easier than others as well.  For example if we have a large flight of Camponotus, they will be easy to spot by those in rural/wood areas as they will be all over the place (and they are very large.)  Many species it's matter a luck where conditions are right, and you happen to be walking along the grass, sidewalk or driveway and you see them waddling along.  Many people use black lights at night to help with night flying species.  Just year this I got my first blacklight, and haven't used it yet as conditions haven't been so good here.  However based on what I have seen the past where species like Temnothorax and Lasius alienus were attracted to CFL and deck lighting, I suspect they would be easy to catch on a white sheet with a black light.  Access to a swimming pool is another classic one as many species, especially Tetramorium tend to land in pools.  After flights I often flip over boards, pieces of wood, rocks, etc and look for queens that went for an easy place to hide before they dig founding chambers. 

This time of year I usually try to go out a few times a day to walk around the property, up and down the driveway (it's really long and wooded both sides), and go out after dark with a flashlight.  At work I also try to take a lap or two around the area to look along side walks.  This time of year my neck is permanently bent down as walking so I don't miss anything on the ground.

It reminds me a lot of fishing, right location, right conditions, lot's of patience and a bit of luck.  As summer heat comes along, it gets much easier.  If there's a hot humid day, especially after rain, the odds are good *something* will be flying.  Since 2016 when I got serious about keeping ants, I've seen alates in MA for Aphaenogaster, Brachymyrmex, Camponotus, Crematogaster, Dolichoderus, Formica, Lasius, Myrmecina, Myrmica, Ponera, Prenolepis, Temnothorax, and Tetramorium.  I've caught those walking along randomly by accident on a side walk, driveway or on the grass, at night with flashlights, walking across my desk at work, swimming pools, attracted to street lights, etc  That's only a portion of the different ant species we have here in MA, so odds are with you if you keep looking, you will catch something :)

• ConcordAntman and greenavacado like this

#1258 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 17 2018 - 7:58 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Fleetingyouth,
I second noebl1. I’d been trying to start a self sustaining colony on and off for 20 years (indeed, my youth has already fled :-P). I spent May on afternoon walks with 10 snap capped tubes (repurposed watering tubes from the roses I got my wife for Mother’s Day with the holes taped over). I saw a bunch of C pennsylvanicus workers but no queens. Then over the course of 6 days I found one or two queens a day in my yard! Hot humid days preferably after a rain coupled with being in the right place at the right time!
  • noebl1 and greenavacado like this

#1259 Offline akaant - Posted June 17 2018 - 10:43 AM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

I went back out to find some T. Sessile queens but found this instead:

I'm not quite sure what she is, still looking into it. Once she settles down I'll try to take some better pics.

(I'm starting to realize taking pictures of queens is just as hard if not harder than finding them, haha)

I went out for the same exact reason and found likely the same Lasius parasitic species. I'm hoping for something tonight.

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1260 Offline greenavacado - Posted June 17 2018 - 11:52 AM

greenavacado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSeacoast NH

I went out for the same exact reason and found likely the same Lasius parasitic species. I'm hoping for something tonight.

After reading up on them I'm definitely not ready to try and raise such a difficult species, however I was able to find a T. Sessile from yesterday hiding under a brick.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users