• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Problem With AntsEmporium

antsemporium ants emporium

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Offline futurebird - Posted August 10 2021 - 9:07 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

This whole thing reminds me of the Tiger King.

So excited for the direct to video release of "The Ant King" the story of a wild man who lives with a colony of tame (?) driver ants in his house. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#42 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 10 2021 - 9:10 AM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

It kinda does beg the question. Whose the one shipping all the atta and pots to europe/asia. From what I see, it certainly isn't a small volume

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#43 Offline Otter - Posted August 11 2021 - 12:16 AM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

It kinda does beg the question. Whose the one shipping all the atta and pots to europe/asia. From what I see, it certainly isn't a small volume

Atta are primarily shipped from south america, you can tell because of the species that are sold. Most are Atta sexdens from tropical parts or other sp like that.

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#44 Offline Vick09usmc - Posted August 11 2021 - 12:31 AM

Vick09usmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
I have friends from Mexico that ship literally thousands of queens every year to the UK

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

#45 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 11 2021 - 7:09 AM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Atta are primarily shipped from south america, you can tell because of the species that are sold. Most are Atta sexdens from tropical parts or other sp like that.

I've seen Pogonomyrmex and pots in Japan and Europe. Maybe they were shipped from mexico?

#46 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 11 2021 - 7:26 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
La la la, not buying from either of you, especially. I'm making a note. "Do not buy from AE, they allegedly decimate wild populations and harm food webs in delicate ecosystems, and are apparently, in this user's personal opinion, litigious AF."

#47 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 11 2021 - 8:14 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

La la la, not buying from either of you, especially. I'm making a note. "Do not buy from AE, they allegedly decimate wild populations and harm food webs in delicate ecosystems, and are apparently, in this user's personal opinion, litigious AF."

What? Who said anything about decimating wild populations? Acromyrmex and Atta have terrible survival rates and fly in the literal billions each year where the queens were supposedly collected.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, August 11 2021 - 8:15 AM.

• Kaelwizard, NickAnter, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#48 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted August 11 2021 - 8:39 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

I do not support the shipping of these species around the country. Learn to appreciate your local ants.

I have kept almost every sp that I want to in my state, MA. There is only one genera here that I have not found any individuals of and that is Proceratium. Do you think that at this point I can move on and look for species from outside of my area? I just wanna get your opinion. I already have a permit for and have kept Pogonomyrmex californicus.

I resonate with this statement, being from Massachusetts as well. I couldn’t even fathom being in a place like Maine or Vermont. I’ve traveled through most of the state and I’m one the way to being in the same stance of existential boredom with our given diversity. Not that I don’t appreciate some of the cool stuff we have, like our one elusive species of pheidole, or C. castaneus, but some places just done have the necessary biodiversity for long term satisfaction.

I just applied for a dentata & morrissi permit two weeks ago, and plan on applying for more in the future.
  • TennesseeAnts, MinigunL5, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#49 Offline OiledOlives - Posted August 19 2021 - 5:20 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

garrett sus ngl

also the quote "It is believed to be around a 99.99% failure rate." from atta garrett sounds pretty wrong, as that would mean ten in every 100,000 atta texanus queens would found.

Edited by OiledOlives, August 19 2021 - 5:26 PM.

• DDD101DDD and Chickalo like this

#50 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 19 2021 - 5:37 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

garrett sus ngl

also the quote "It is believed to be around a 99.99% failure rate." from atta garrett sounds pretty wrong, as that would mean ten in every 100,000 atta texanus queens would found.

7. Post in legible, coherent English, without excessive use of emoticons, slang, chat acronyms, or instant messenger shorthand. (Does not apply in the chat.)

• TennesseeAnts, NickAnter and Temperateants like this

#51 Offline attagarrett - Posted August 19 2021 - 5:37 PM

attagarrett

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTexas

garrett sus ngl

also the quote "It is believed to be around a 99.99% failure rate." from atta garrett sounds pretty wrong, as that would mean ten in every 10,000 atta texanus queens would found.

Hey Oiled, terribly sorry you feel this way.

If you read the original post it is clearly states the following, “In the wild Atta texana have undoubtedly one of the worst mortality rates of any ants. It is believed to be around a 99.99% failure rate.” By stating “In the wild” I am referring to ants not collected by keepers to be kept in captivity. A few other people caught some flights this year, one collected 17, not a single survived, another over 30, same story holds true there. There’s a reason they fly in such numbers! I know what I’m doing, and how many I need to catch to ensure optimal success and the ability to provide Atta texana to any keeper who wants to take them on!
I appreciate your concerns, thank you for your time!

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further don’t hesitate to reach out to, sales@antsemporium.com

Thanks!
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#52 Offline Chickalo - Posted August 19 2021 - 5:49 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I have friends from Mexico that ship literally thousands of queens every year to the UK

This isn't as big as a problem as mass shipping from the USA, at least in my opinion.  Mexico has an incredibly different climate to the United Kingdom.  There's no problem in releasing them, because even if they manage to survive the summer, when it comes winter either they'll make their best attempt to nest inside and steal indoor plants (assuming we're still talking about fungus growers), or die.  A decent anology is if you're warm in your house at room temperature then get forced to step outside into the 40's with no winter gear for multiple months and try your best to find enough food to survive (and your large, large family).

Now if we were looking at Texas to other states, it's a different deal.  As ANTdrew mentioned, with the pathogens could lead to mass death of Trachymyrmex in South Eastern states.  Considering the fact that they're also fungus growers, the disappearance of ants that literally cut down plants would definately lead to a ecological distaster in the area.  I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal up here in Massachusetts were literally only Tetramorium and parasitic Lasius lives, I'm positive they couldn't survive our winters that reach into the teens.  Honestly, if we're talking about USA > USA transfers, it really depends which area it reaches and wether or not the local species would out comepete or be out competed by them.

I do not support the shipping of these species around the country. Learn to appreciate your local ants.

I have kept almost every sp that I want to in my state, MA. There is only one genera here that I have not found any individuals of and that is Proceratium. Do you think that at this point I can move on and look for species from outside of my area? I just wanna get your opinion. I already have a permit for and have kept Pogonomyrmex californicus.

I resonate with this statement, being from Massachusetts as well. I couldn’t even fathom being in a place like Maine or Vermont. I’ve traveled through most of the state and I’m one the way to being in the same stance of existential boredom with our given diversity. Not that I don’t appreciate some of the cool stuff we have, like our one elusive species of pheidole, or C. castaneus, but some places just done have the necessary biodiversity for long term satisfaction.

I just applied for a dentata & morrissi permit two weeks ago, and plan on applying for more in the future.

You say this but you have access to Pheidole pilifera, the singlemost coolest species in Massachusetts, no where near Camponotus castneus lol

Edited by Chickalo, August 19 2021 - 5:50 PM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#53 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 19 2021 - 6:09 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I also honestly feel like drew is siding with AntsEmporium despite all the issues. The fact that AE ads have showed up on the forum and also the new emporium thread that got locked instantly.
  • Mdrogun, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

#54 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 19 2021 - 6:34 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I also honestly feel like drew is siding with AntsEmporium despite all the issues. The fact that AE ads have showed up on the forum and also the new emporium thread that got locked instantly.

Ads on the forum are paid for by whoever wants them as far as I know.

Since it is AntsEmporium's marketplace, they are a mod of their own subforum and can lock their own threads if they want to.  Any person/company with their own subforum is a mod for their respective subforums. 

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, NickAnter and 3 others like this

#55 Offline OiledOlives - Posted August 19 2021 - 6:49 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

garrett sus ngl

also the quote "It is believed to be around a 99.99% failure rate." from atta garrett sounds pretty wrong, as that would mean ten in every 10,000 atta texanus queens would found.

If you read the original post it is clearly states the following, “In the wild Atta texana have undoubtedly one of the worst mortality rates of any ants. It is believed to be around a 99.99% failure rate.” By stating “In the wild” I am referring to ants not collected by keepers to be kept in captivity. A few other people caught some flights this year, one collected 17, not a single survived, another over 30, same story holds true there. There’s a reason they fly in such numbers! I know what I’m doing, and how many I need to catch to ensure optimal success and the ability to provide Atta texana to any keeper who wants to take them on!

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further don’t hesitate to reach out to, sales@antsemporium.com

Thanks!

where do you get 99.99% from then

#56 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 19 2021 - 7:44 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

This isn't as big as a problem as mass shipping from the USA, at least in my opinion.  Mexico has an incredibly different climate to the United Kingdom.  There's no problem in releasing them, because even if they manage to survive the summer, when it comes winter either they'll make their best attempt to nest inside and steal indoor plants (assuming we're still talking about fungus growers), or die.  A decent anology is if you're warm in your house at room temperature then get forced to step outside into the 40's with no winter gear for multiple months and try your best to find enough food to survive (and your large, large family).

Now if we were looking at Texas to other states, it's a different deal.  As ANTdrew mentioned, with the pathogens could lead to mass death of Trachymyrmex in South Eastern states.  Considering the fact that they're also fungus growers, the disappearance of ants that literally cut down plants would definately lead to a ecological distaster in the area.  I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal up here in Massachusetts were literally only Tetramorium and parasitic Lasius lives, I'm positive they couldn't survive our winters that reach into the teens.  Honestly, if we're talking about USA > USA transfers, it really depends which area it reaches and wether or not the local species would out comepete or be out competed by them.

You say this but you have access to Pheidole pilifera, the singlemost coolest species in Massachusetts, no where near Camponotus castneus lol

Coolness is pretty subjective.

• cocdeshijie and Antkeeper01 like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#57 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 20 2021 - 1:15 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

garrett sus ngl

Thanks!
where do you get 99.99% from then
I was also wondering how he got that exact number. I’m not doubting it necessarily, but it would be nice to have an explanation.

#58 Offline KadinB - Posted August 20 2021 - 5:12 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
I see this thread not dying anytime soon……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • AntsMaryland, Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#59 Offline voylin - Posted August 22 2021 - 9:03 PM

voylin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I honestly didn't know selling ants is a real business ... In my opinion, I feel it's wrong to sell ant species to places where they don't originaly come from.

THIS IS A HOBBY. I can understand that sometimes you look at ants from other places and think: " Oohh they look awesome!".
But I came into this hobby because I find ants fascinating, doesn't matter which species. I thought that was the main reason people started with this hobby. I didn't think this was a hobby like Pokemon, Gotta catch 'm all (Or Gonna Buy 'm All)
  • AntsMaryland and KadinB like this

#60 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 23 2021 - 8:13 AM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I honestly didn't know selling ants is a real business ... In my opinion, I feel it's wrong to sell ant species to places where they don't originaly come from.

THIS IS A HOBBY. I can understand that sometimes you look at ants from other places and think: " Oohh they look awesome!".
But I came into this hobby because I find ants fascinating, doesn't matter which species. I thought that was the main reason people started with this hobby. I didn't think this was a hobby like Pokemon, Gotta catch 'm all (Or Gonna Buy 'm All)

I think its totally fair that you can find some ants more interesting than others from a pet perspective. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antsemporium, ants emporium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users