• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants and Plants

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 2 2021 - 8:19 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

So in addition to keeping ants, I also keep plants, and I've been wondering how I can incorporate live plants into an ant set up, like in the outworld or whatever.  I was thinking putting plants in the outworld would not work well because you would have to have soil in there, and that will cause the ants to nest in the outworld instead of in the nest.  

Then I realized airplants don't need any soil, and they are really cool too.  

Does anyone keep airplants in their outworld?

Has anyone else thought about this and come up with a different conclusion, or other ideas for keeping ants and plants together?

Edited by BugFinder, March 2 2021 - 8:56 AM.

• Scherme likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 2 2021 - 8:31 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I don’t have any advice for you, but wanted to thank you for opening up the rabbit hole into air plants. It looks like you may end up costing me some money in the future  :D

• BugFinder and azAz09 like this

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 2 2021 - 8:55 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I don’t have any advice for you, but wanted to thank you for opening up the rabbit hole into air plants. It looks like you may end up costing me some money in the future  :D

HAHA that's funny - and you're welcome!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 2 2021 - 8:59 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Check this out bud.  For $11 per month plus shipping, they will ship you one air plant and one succulent of their choice per month.  You can also just get a box that has one air plant without the succulant if you like.  I'm signed up for the air plant and succulant.

• tdlnx likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 2 2021 - 12:33 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I have not seen any air plants in outworlds, since you still have to keep the air humid.

#6 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 2 2021 - 3:38 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I have not seen any air plants in outworlds, since you still have to keep the air humid.

yes. succulents may work though.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#7 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 2 2021 - 3:39 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Small, slow-growing succulents could work well. You might want to go with a fully bioactive terrarium instead though. 

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#8 Offline Scherme - Posted March 3 2021 - 3:15 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I was working on a solution to keep live plants in an outworld and got sidetracked. I will get back to it. 

I need a few more things for the bio formicarium that I plan to put together, I have every intention to add some plant life to it. 

Working with "Turtle VIne" atm. I had given air plants, aloe, and cactuses some thought before too. 

• BugFinder likes this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#9 Offline Canadant - Posted March 3 2021 - 8:29 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Ever thought about keeping the plants potted? I suppose they'd move into the pot though, lol. I keep lichen in my outworld. My crematogaster love crawling all over it when I moisten it.
  • BugFinder likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#10 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted March 3 2021 - 10:24 AM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California
search?view=detailV2&ccid=u8WKb3mU&id=E2
How about a sweet potato or other plant that can root in water?  You may end up with a lot drowned ants depending on the species..
  • BugFinder and Canadant like this

#11 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 3 2021 - 10:24 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Small, slow-growing succulents could work well. You might want to go with a fully bioactive terrarium instead though. 

yes. they may end up moving into it if they are a species that can handle dry climates.

• BugFinder likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 3 2021 - 10:35 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

You would have to have a "gasket" or sorts, a material that the plants stem would plug, and make it so that the ants could not get through to the water. I have put considerable thought into this in the past, and its really rather complicated to do it properly. You would most likely need a 3d printer.

• BugFinder likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 3 2021 - 8:31 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

yes. succulents may work though.

I know from experience that air plants don't need moisture in their enclosure. For proper care of an air plant, soak it once a week for an hour in filtered water. I get away with once every two weeks even though I live in the middle of a desert. Any outworld you make shouldn't have as much moisture as the nest itself, unless you are making a bioactive enclosure. I have seen a few people plant succulents, which are awesome plants by the way, in their outworlds. Succulents still need water though, although it varies from plant to plant. Obviously most ants prefer a moist digging medium to artificial nests, even if it is temporary. If the colony moves in around the succulent or plant, they might never come out again without your intervention. Unfortunately this has happened to someone I know and they lost a nice colony.

Another possibility could be propagation. Some succulent species can propagate through their fallen leaves. You could take one of these fallen leaves with both roots and new leaf buds and let it grow in your outworld with zero watering. Eventually though, the plant will run out and die, but I have had leaves last more then half a year without a growing medium. Personally I would recommend air plants that are loose in the outworld if that is what you do.

• BugFinder likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users