• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant food

lasius niger ant

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dino - Posted February 16 2021 - 8:55 AM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Hello, i am new here and have been caring for a lasius niger colony for a month now it has around 15 workers and I'm not sure what to feed the colony i tried some earthworm pieces but they didn't seem to like it i read that mealworms are good ant food but I'm not sure if it is good for this species aside from this i've been feeding them droplets of honey i would appreciate any help.

Ants I'm keeping 

Lasius niger 15-20 workers

Journal

#2 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 16 2021 - 9:32 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Hello, i am new here and have been caring for a lasius niger colony for a month now it has around 15 workers and I'm not sure what to feed the colony i tried some earthworm pieces but they didn't seem to like it i read that mealworms are good ant food but I'm not sure if it is good for this species aside from this i've been feeding them droplets of honey i would appreciate any help.

any insects are good as long as you freeze them or boil them before you feed them. 

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#3 Offline Scherme - Posted February 16 2021 - 9:47 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Here are some links that may be helpful. Good luck! Welcome!

https://www.formicul...-for-beginners/

https://www.formicul...ood-by-species/

https://www.formicul...asius-neoniger/

I am sure there is more info in these forums, these were just the quickest I could find. 

edit: I don't boil or freeze any insects I use a feeders, I just cut them in half. 

haven't run into any problems yet, but that doesn't mean i won't. 

Edited by Scherme, February 16 2021 - 9:51 AM.

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#4 Offline Dino - Posted February 16 2021 - 9:48 AM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Thanks a lot for the help.

Ants I'm keeping 

Journal

#5 Offline Scherme - Posted February 16 2021 - 9:58 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I have a small Neo colony atm. maybe 40+ workers so I am just learning the ins and outs of them as well. They don't seem to mind mealworms.

I think the key with most species is that they know what they like, so offering variety and range in all aspects is a good idea. Be it space, light,  temperature, humidity, sugar source, or protein source make what you offer broad enough for them to choose. 

Edited by Scherme, February 16 2021 - 9:58 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#6 Offline Dino - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:10 AM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Thanks i will be sure to keep that in mind. I was also wondering if getting dried mealworms was fine for the ants or that live mealworms are better?

Ants I'm keeping 

Journal

#7 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:14 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Thanks i will be sure to keep that in mind. I was also wondering if getting dried mealworms was fine for the ants or that live mealworms are better?

both are fine, but make sure you boil and cut open live mealworms.

Ants I am keeping:

#8 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:16 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Live mealworms cut up is best. They are full of nutrition and will feed a colony well.

• Scherme and MinigunL5 like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#9 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:43 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Live mealworms cut up is best. They are full of nutrition and will feed a colony well.

just make sure you boil them and then cut them up because they can stress out your ants.

Ants I am keeping:

#10 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:44 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

just make sure you boil them and then cut them up because they can stress out your ants.

Boil? I have never heard of anyone boiling their mealworms. I just take one out of the container and cut the thing into little bits 

• Scherme and MinigunL5 like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#11 Offline Scherme - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:52 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

as far as i know the boiling and freezing is to get rid of parasites. 

I have only frozen my wild caught grasshoppers and that was only to preserve them. 

#12 Offline Dino - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:52 AM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

I was also wondering if I should start a journal on my colony as it is the first I have kept and I'm very unexperienced in ant keeping.

• Scherme likes this

Ants I'm keeping 

Journal

#13 Offline Scherme - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:04 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I was also wondering if I should start a journal on my colony as it is the first I have kept and I'm very unexperienced in ant keeping.

Yes

#14 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:06 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Boil? I have never heard of anyone boiling their mealworms. I just take one out of the container and cut the thing into little bits 

to kill parasites lol

Ants I am keeping:

#15 Offline Dino - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:12 AM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Ok great i will set up a journal as soon as possible and thanks for helping.

Ants I'm keeping 

Journal

#16 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:12 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Freezing and boiling feeder insects are recommended for different reasons. Quickly frozen live feeder insects prolongs their shelf life. You have a ready-to-thaw supply of protein for your colonies without having to raise crickets, Dubia roaches, or flightless fruit flies. It is important to freeze your feeders live and to thaw only the number of insects you want to feed during a feeding session. Avoid allowing the remaining feeders to thaw. The repeated freeze-thaw-freeze cycle can lead to rotting your supply of feeders (you may notice this as a change in color) and can be a source for introducing mold or other diseases to your colonies. Freezing may also help to limit exposing your colonies to parasites the feeder insects may carry. Boiling is another method used to prevent parasite (mite) infestation. You just need a transient 3-5 second dip in boiling (or near boiling) water before you feed them to your colonies. While not all mites are pathological, once you get an infestation they are difficult to eradicate. It’s much simpler to take steps to minimize the risk. So, freezing gives you a readily available protein source, while boiling tries to render that protein source free of parasites. 

• ANTdrew likes this

#17 Offline Dino - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:22 AM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Freezing and boiling feeder insects are recommended for different reasons. Quickly frozen live feeder insects prolongs their shelf life. You have a ready-to-thaw supply of protein for your colonies without having to raise crickets, Dubia roaches, or flightless fruit flies. It is important to freeze your feeders live and to thaw only the number of insects you want to feed during a feeding session. Avoid allowing the remaining feeders to thaw. The repeated freeze-thaw-freeze cycle can lead to rotting your supply of feeders (you may notice this as a change in color) and can be a source for introducing mold or other diseases to your colonies. Freezing may also help to limit exposing your colonies to parasites the feeder insects may carry. Boiling is another method used to prevent parasite (mite) infestation. You just need a transient 3-5 second dip in boiling (or near boiling) water before you feed them to your colonies. While not all mites are pathological, once you get an infestation they are difficult to eradicate. It’s much simpler to take steps to minimize the risk. So, freezing gives you a readily available protein source, while boiling tries to render that protein source free of parasites. 

I think i will try boiling as i may set up a mealworm farm so the food can be readily available.

Also i have set up my blog so if anyone wants to check it out here is the link: https://www.formicul...-niger-journal/

Edited by Dino, February 17 2021 - 5:52 AM.

• Scherme likes this

Ants I'm keeping 

Journal

#18 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted February 16 2021 - 1:17 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

For protein I suggest you just buy mealworms. You don't really need to boil or freeze them because mealworms are generally safe. For sugars just some sugar water will work in like a 1:1 sugar to water ratio. Btw, what are they housed in? 

#19 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 16 2021 - 1:35 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

just make sure you boil them and then cut them up because they can stress out your ants.
to kill parasites lol
If you need to freeze store bought insects to get rid of parasites, then all reptiles in my house would have parasites, but they don’t.

#20 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 16 2021 - 1:38 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I find that many of my ants prefer foods that they can easily pick up, such as fruit flies. This is because many ants simply put their protein on top of the larvae, and let them do the work. With something like a mealworm, smaller ants cannot pick them up, and as such have to do more work.

• DDD101DDD likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius niger, ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users