• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Lasius Niger Journal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dino - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:16 AM

Dino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

I'm going to start a journal about my Lasius niger colony of about 15 workers I will be frequently updating everyone and sending pictures. Since these ants are my first colony I'm going to be asking a lot of advice.

Habitat: small sand ant farm.

Diet: currently honey and occasional fruits i might start feeding them mealworms soon.

• Scherme likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:46 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Feed mealworms or fruit flies now. The larvae need protein.
  • Scherme likes this

#3 Offline Scherme - Posted February 17 2021 - 4:53 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

protein builds bodies, sugar powers them - incredibly oversimplified, but this is how I think of it.

A good and constant source of protein should increase your future workers size as well as numbers. 

As for photos, I upload everything into my gallery and then link it in my posts via the  "My Media" button. This has a few steps, I am sure there might be other ways to embed images, but this is just how I do it. 

Welcome, good luck, I will be following. May you make less mistakes than I did/do. 

• ANTdrew likes this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#4 Offline Dino - Posted February 17 2021 - 5:45 AM

Dino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Yesterday my queen continued further down the tunnels of the ant farm and has entered a darker area where I can no longer see her, workers continue to come in and out of the tunnels but don't go near the honey from a few days ago I think they might be full but I'm not sure. I might feed them a house fly today, this will be their first taste of protein. It was wild so I'm going to boil it before I feed it to them to make sure I kill off any possible parasites. However I'm not 100% sure if I should feed a wild caught insect, what do you guys think? I will try send some pictures.

#5 Offline Dino - Posted February 18 2021 - 4:17 AM

Dino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ants seem a bit more hungry today I have seen workers walking around the farm and returning to the feeding site. Since I have decided not to feed them the fly as someone said they were pesticide resistant and could be carrying pesticides, I will try feeding them an earthworm piece again and if they don't accept that I will try feeding them some fruit flies.

#6 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 18 2021 - 6:09 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Ok listen, your ants are probably tired of eating honey that's why they won't drink or eat it anymore also earthworms are like the worst feeder because ants don't like them a lot. You should take advice from your ant food thread and look around on the forum for lasius neo/niger journals and see what people feed them.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 18 2021 - 7:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Be sure to mix the honey with water. Pure honey is too viscous for small ants. Any ants, really.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25  

Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 18 2021 - 11:24 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Be sure to mix the honey with water. Pure honey is too viscous for small ants. Any ants, really.

this is true for some species. I think that larger species can accept it better. that being said, lasius niger aren't the biggest ants, so you should definitely mix honey with water with a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio, or do sugar to water in a 1:1 ratio. also, feeders are good to get if you are willing to get them, and byformica are the best.

Ants I am keeping:

• Crematogaster colony, queen and 15+ workers coming strong!

#9 Offline Dino - Posted February 19 2021 - 8:40 AM

Dino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

thanks i will now mix their honey with water i've also ordered some mealworms so they should arrive some time soon.

#10 Offline Dino - Posted February 22 2021 - 12:56 AM

Dino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I finally fed my ants their first bits of protein yesterday they haven't seemed to notice it yet they just continue to expand the queens chamber i think the ants are full. However i'm still going to replace their current honey with some sugar water to see how they like it.

Edited by Dino, February 22 2021 - 12:57 AM.

#11 Offline Dino - Posted February 22 2021 - 1:06 AM

Dino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

On second glance it actually seems my ants have touched a bit of the protein i fed them and ripped off a chunk.

• Scherme likes this

#12 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted February 22 2021 - 1:09 AM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationIndia

I finally fed my ants their first bits of protein yesterday they haven't seemed to notice it yet they just continue to expand the queens chamber i think the ants are full. However i'm still going to replace their current honey with some sugar water to see how they like it.

Yeah developing colonies are hesitant towards new food items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users