• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Not selling anymore.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:28 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I am not going to sell them anymore. I was not saying that people should keep them, but  guess some people don't understand that.

don’t listen to vendayn, he’s just a troll. Nobody else cares that you’re selling.

#22 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:29 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I am not going to sell them anymore. I was not saying that people should keep them, but  guess some people don't understand that.

don’t listen to vendayn, he’s just a troll. Nobody else cares that you’re selling.

So its okay to buy/sell invasive ants? Because in the past people have tried to sell them (and buy them) and got hated on. What difference is there between invasive ants?

#23 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:30 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

lol says the guy who is literally keeping megacephala. Also, this is why i didn't react to your aplogy before. You have shown that you can’t/won't change.
I'm not selling megacephala though? And I've always been against selling invasive ants. If someone was trying to sell (or buy) Solenopsis invicta, they wouldn't get much love around here and Argentine ants are a vastly worse invasive in the world than they are. To me, its a little weird if someone is against Solenopsis invicta selling, but not a species that is an even worse invasive. Unless one is okay with both, then at least their morales of selling/buying invasives are the same.
people sell invasives all the time, like tetramorium immigrans. As long as the keeper doesn’t release them its fine. Besides, argentines are everywhere anyway.

#24 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:36 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

lol says the guy who is literally keeping megacephala. Also, this is why i didn't react to your aplogy before. You have shown that you can’t/won't change.
I'm not selling megacephala though? And I've always been against selling invasive ants. If someone was trying to sell (or buy) Solenopsis invicta, they wouldn't get much love around here and Argentine ants are a vastly worse invasive in the world than they are. To me, its a little weird if someone is against Solenopsis invicta selling, but not a species that is an even worse invasive. Unless one is okay with both, then at least their morales of selling/buying invasives are the same.
people sell invasives all the time, like tetramorium immigrans. As long as the keeper doesn’t release them its fine. Besides, argentines are everywhere anyway.

I didn't realize the rules changed on invasive ants and peoples thoughts on selling/buying them has changed, guess I'm oldschool and just remember when it was really hated on. Sorry if it seemed like I was trolling, a few years back someone tried buying an invasive ant and the thread got derailed.

#25 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:38 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
Its fine, just try not to trash another thread
  • gs5248 likes this

#26 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:39 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Its fine, just try not to trash another thread

I completely agree.

#27 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 8 2021 - 9:16 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I know this is kind of heated at the moment, but I did want to add that S. invicta is arguably worse than L. humile. Not only can they spread into undisturbed habitat, but they can also directly harm native vertebrate life such as small rodents and reptiles. Not to mention their property damaging abilities...

#28 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted February 8 2021 - 9:25 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Ah, sad, might’ve bought em. Let me know if you’re still selling.

My YouTube channel :)

#29 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2021 - 9:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I know this is kind of heated at the moment, but I did want to add that S. invicta is arguably worse than L. humile. Not only can they spread into undisturbed habitat, but they can also directly harm native vertebrate life such as small rodents and reptiles. Not to mention their property damaging abilities...

Yes, I do believe they are worse. Argentines can't actually hurt people either, unless you maybe inhaled a few hundred and choked to death.

Also, to the people arguing: Vendayn keeps invasive species. Manitobant keeps non-native/invasive species. Vendayn never sold invasive species. Neither has Manitobant. So, what exactly is your problem?

EDIT: In times like these, and in the world, really, it's best to let actions speak for themselves, and not muddy the waters with petty words.

Edited by NickAnter, February 8 2021 - 9:29 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Swirlysnowflake like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#30 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 8 2021 - 9:35 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Well if its fine to sell them, then its good. Sorry, its just some years ago selling any invasive ant was bad so that was my mindset. Does widen up the market of ants one can buy a HUGE amount. Always thought it was highly frowned upon of invasive ants, but now can buy all kinds of cool ants (as long as don't cross state lines of course)

• Enderz likes this

#31 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted February 8 2021 - 10:18 PM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California
My suburban town in So Cal is one big Argentine ant hill, and has been my whole life. I’ve poured them from cereal boxes, seen them invade a can of coke that you left out for only minutes, this summer a huge colony took over a large ceramic pot I put in my driveway within 48 hours of filling it with bagged soil and a young lemon tree.
And they’re teeny tiny, what a success story! I tip my hat to the little devils.

#32 Offline Enderz - Posted February 8 2021 - 11:55 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

lol good one 

also: "don’t listen to vendayn, he’s just a troll. Nobody else cares that you’re selling."

Vendayn isn't a troll. 

Edited by Enderz, February 8 2021 - 11:58 PM.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#33 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 9 2021 - 6:02 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

For one, I think vendayn was in the right this time, He didn't support selling invasive ants so he simply expressed what he thought about selling them. That they should be killed, but manitobant is saying no one would buy them tbh. If that's the case why do you keep getting mad at the people that want to get rid of the pests and save native species. 

If no one wants to buy them what is wrong with making a post saying you should get rid of them.. 

• DDD101DDD likes this
We don’t talk about that

#34 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 9 2021 - 7:08 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

For one, I think vendayn was in the right this time, He didn't support selling invasive ants so he simply expressed what he thought about selling them. That they should be killed, but manitobant is saying no one would buy them tbh. If that's the case why do you keep getting mad at the people that want to get rid of the pests and save native species. 
If no one wants to buy them what is wrong with making a post saying you should get rid of them..

i was joking when i said nobody would buy them, since most Californians think they are trash.

#35 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 9 2021 - 8:36 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Hey, I don't like invasive species in the wild as much as anyone does, but I feel that keeping an invasive species that has established itself into your environment is okay. Just don't release them.  Like how Ants Australia keeps his Argentine ants.

Edited by gs5248, February 9 2021 - 8:39 AM.

#36 Offline Devi - Posted February 9 2021 - 8:52 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I thought you wanted to get rid of Argentine ants and were offering 21 dollars to get them off your hands.
Really buddy, why are you going around trashing peoples threads? Don't you have anything better to do?
He is trying to sell a highly invasive ant, that despite being everywhere is still invasive and non-native. Its like the ebay sellers trying to sell pheidole megacephala or solenopsis invicta. Who cares right? They are everywhere. No its still an invasive non-native ant.

Good point Manitobant.  

#37 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 9 2021 - 8:57 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

sigh.. some people just don't learn, vendayn said something some people may not have wanted to hear. It not your job to continue what he started to a greater extent by completely changing this thread from what its original purpose was.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
We don’t talk about that

#38 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 9 2021 - 9:09 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
I wouldn’t stop selling cause one guy, who is known to crash threads, disagrees. I think he’s the only one who cares. You should DM swirly or vice versa, since they seem interested.
  • Devi and RG_Ants like this

#39 Offline MillyMoney - Posted February 9 2021 - 11:54 AM

MillyMoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHi Desert California

I agree.

If you want to sell, sell.

Don't let someone talk you out of it !

• Manitobant and RG_Ants like this

#40 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2021 - 1:10 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I agree.

If you want to sell, sell.

Don't let someone talk you out of it !

I agree. And if someone wants to sell out of state, SELL! Don't let someone talk you out of it. Especially don't let someone talk the person out of selling out of state, since I'm known to crash threads. So when anyone (while I know the OP isn't selling out of state) who comes to this thread sees this post wants to sell out of state, definitely don't listen to me when I say don't do that because I'm known (again) to crash threads so my opinion doesn't matter and in fact, my opinion matters so little, do the exact opposite of what I say. So since I'm against selling out of state, the people in this forum should then believe the exact opposite of what I say.

Also since its okay with Argentine ants because they are everywhere, anyone who wants to sell invasive ants can start spreading them everywhere and then say "its okay they are everywhere anyway". It won't take long for invasive ants to spread this way, so if someone wants to sell invasive ants wait 5 years after spreading them all, then they are free to say they are everywhere anyway.

Edited by Vendayn, February 9 2021 - 1:11 PM.

• Enderz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users