• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Buying certain species of ants in California (shipping only, paypal, look inside for species)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:39 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well I guess its okay to buy/sell invasive ants now. https://www.formicul...for-sale/page-2

It was mostly cause I remember people trying to buy invasive ants and people weren't happy about it, but that was a while ago. I know Argentine ants are the worst invasive in the world, so if they are good then looks like its all good. And in response, now I can finally buy the ants I've seen antscanada keep...legit actually interested in these.

So I'm looking to buy Solenopsis geminata, Tapinoma melanocephalum (they are in California or were at least, no idea where though if they are still around so I don't see this too likely an option), Monomorium pharaonis (this is high on the list, they are cool). Also Brachyponera chinensis would top the list if they are here. Not sure if those are in California or not though, but they are awesome.

Paypal only, can offer a price depending how big the colony is and how many queens, but I'd only be able to spend 40 dollars at most. Also I'd rather have a smallish colony (maybe 100 ants or so, more than 20 workers preferably) to start with, more so than starting off with a huge colony. 

As a note. I'll only be buying one colony, not multiple.

Edited by Vendayn, February 8 2021 - 8:14 PM.

• Enderz likes this

#2 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:02 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Well I guess its okay to buy/sell invasive ants now. https://www.formicul...for-sale/page-2

It was mostly cause I remember people trying to buy invasive ants and people weren't happy about it, but that was a while ago. I know Argentine ants are the worst invasive in the world, so if they are good then looks like its all good. And in response, now I can finally buy the ants I've seen antscanada keep...legit actually interested in these.

So I'm looking to buy Solenopsis geminata, Tapinoma melanocephalum (they are in California or were at least, no idea where though if they are still around so I don't see this too likely an option), Monomorium pharaonis (this is high on the list, they are cool). Also Brachyponera chinensis would top the list if they are here. Not sure if those are in California or not though, but they are awesome.

Paypal only, can offer a price depending how big the colony is and how many queens, but I'd only be able to spend 40 dollars at most. Also I'd rather have a smallish colony (maybe 100 ants or so, more than 20 workers preferably) to start with, more so than starting off with a huge colony.

Why buy invasives you could still get in trouble for it sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:02 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Why buy invasives you could still get in trouble for it sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hm, that is what I thought too. But apparently not, going by the thread I linked. So can finally get the ant species antcanada keeps/has kept. Seems around here that is fine, so now I should take advantage of the new choices of ants :)

Edited by Vendayn, February 9 2021 - 2:04 PM.

#4 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:08 PM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California
Why are you even doing this bro u can get caught and reported man, and invasives are boring af and you make barely any money because people probably don't wanna buy something that's boring and almost has any value smh

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#5 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:09 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

can you not trash fc with this? Also I don't think drew allows Solenopsis Geminata to be sold in california on this forum, from what I have read before. 

#6 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:11 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

can you not trash fc with this? Also I don't think drew allows Solenopsis Geminata to be sold in california on this forum, from what I have read before. 

I thought it was okay to buy/sell invasives? Suddenly now it isn't because it is me trying to buy them? Its only okay for someone else? Sure one invasive is more common than the other, but then that excuse makes things worse because people will start spreading invasives around so they are more common so they can say "they are everywhere anyway", that I see used for Argentine ants.

Edited by Vendayn, February 9 2021 - 2:14 PM.

#7 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:13 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

I thought it was okay to buy/sell invasives? Suddenly now it isn't because it is me trying to buy them? Its only okay for someone else?

Now your being a troll. I never said I agreed with that. T. Humile is way different then Solenopsis Geminata. Plus I don't think geminata is in california anyways, therefore its not the same. 

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:18 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I thought it was okay to buy/sell invasives? Suddenly now it isn't because it is me trying to buy them? Its only okay for someone else?

Now your being a troll. I never said I agreed with that. T. Humile is way different then Solenopsis Geminata. Plus I don't think geminata is in california anyways, therefore its not the same. 

Solenopsis geminata have been found in southern California (similar to Tapinoma melanocephalum). I only saw Solenopsis geminata once in the Salton Sea in a retirement park out there, but they died off and it was only a single colony so they couldn't spread (which is a good thing since they'd decimate the native wildlife around there, though they'd been highly limited to the irrigated areas).

#9 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:20 PM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California

I thought it was okay to buy/sell invasives? Suddenly now it isn't because it is me trying to buy them? Its only okay for someone else? Sure one invasive is more common than the other, but then that excuse makes things worse because people will start spreading invasives around so they are more common so they can say "they are everywhere anyway", that I see used for Argentine ants.
Ur definitely trolling trying to trash fc it's getting old and annoying, sadly you haven't showed that you've changed :)

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:22 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Ur definitely trolling trying to trash fc it's getting old and annoying, sadly you haven't showed that you've changed :)

Wait, people were complaining I was crashing and ruining threads. Now you are doing it to mine? I'm trying to buy ants. 

#11 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:22 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Solenopsis geminata have been found in southern California (similar to Tapinoma melanocephalum). I only saw Solenopsis geminata once in the Salton Sea in a retirement park out there, but they died off and it was only a single colony so they couldn't spread (which is a good thing since they'd decimate the native wildlife around there, though they'd been highly limited to the irrigated areas).

Thanks for admitting that Geminata is a horrible invasive. Werent you just stating how to not sell invasive ants in another thread? Now you want invasive ants? Sounds like a hypocrite to me  %)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users