• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium immigrans - Western Massachusetts

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Scherme - Posted October 12 2020 - 5:37 PM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

It has been a while, things are going..... well?

Their numbers increased, so I kept feeding and feeding and they have much higher numbers, if I had to guess.... maybe 50-60 workers?

They ALSO started chewing holes in my THA mini hearth... fun. I don't have the money for another nest. 

LUCKILY over the past month I have been designing a nest, based of the AntsMexico nest.

I used its structure to help create a new nest with the help of a friend who has a 3d printer and is skilled with the modelling software. He has no interest in ants.

He calls it the "Schermicarium"

It is essentially a cheap, 3D printed mock up of a AC hybrid nest, but much smaller.

He printed a first prototype and I gave my input, then he printed again. Each time I gave more and more input until finally I was getting closer to something that worked.

Perfect time too, because I needed a nest fast. I asked him to make the last noted changes quickly and start on a print, because I was running out of time. 

So this is what I got so far:

Schermicarium Front
Inside Schermicarium

and I even made some "nest buddies" for it 

Nest Buddies lol

The material is PLA, the nests I got my Camponotus in are PLA and the previous owner said they last years with water in them.
cut the glass and installed the mesh myself. All in all this nest cost about $4 to make.
Time to move my Tetras from their $60 nest to this $4 nest. for that price they could last a month and would still be worth it. 

I pulled their nest mate out and emptied the water out, and put it back with no plug to increase airflow into their nest chamber.
Then I pulled the light block cap off and faced the glass towards a desklamp i had shining right at the nest.
I took the heating cable away and hooked it up in the channel made for heating cables in the new Schermicarium
added water to the Schermicarium and then hooked up the 2 nests and went to bed.

When I woke up I saw some of the first brood being carried into the new nest. 

When I got home from work:

Brood in New Schermicarium

I stole one of my Camponotus outworlds and hooked it up, i don't expect them to find it or look for it anytime soon.
I will give them a few days to decrease in numbers from the THA nest as they are still running back and forth from it. 

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#22 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 13 2020 - 7:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I used its structure to help create a new nest with the help of a friend who has a 3d printer and is skilled with the modelling software. He has no interest in ants.

It is essentially a cheap, 3D printed mock up of a AC hybrid nest, but much smaller.

He printed a first prototype and I gave my input, then he printed again. Each time I gave more and more input until finally I was getting closer to something that worked.

Perfect time too, because I needed a nest fast. I asked him to make the last noted changes quickly and start on a print, because I was running out of time. 

The material is PLA, the nests I got my Camponotus in are PLA and the previous owner said they last years with water in them.
cut the glass and installed the mesh myself. All in all this nest cost about $4 to make.
Time to move my Tetras from their $60 nest to this $4 nest. for that price they could last a month and would still be worth it.

Would you, by any chance, be interested in selling on our new site (link to the project general description in my signature)? We are a platform for new sellers, and hope to help in promoting their brands, along with our own.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#23 Offline Scherme - Posted October 13 2020 - 9:14 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I will get back to you on that. My design is not finalized, I have only put one together and am testing it now. 

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#24 Offline Scherme - Posted January 4 2021 - 11:00 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Alright, I saved this update for last of my beginning of 2021 updates. 

This colony has... 500+ workers now? Idk that is just a ROUGH guess. They are taking up several of my nests chambers at this point. 

Even this picture is old, I am going to try and setup the tripod and get some good pics this week. 

20201222 001544

Mountains of brood, who LOVE the most humid spot in my nest. So many foragers in the outworld. 

Thankfully my mealworm colony bloomed at just the right point too because these tetras are hungry. They swarm any insect I put in there and drag em all over the place. 

Pretty much 1 mealworm per day at this point, I have a constant supply of sugar solution via a byformica 1ml liquid feeder and still keeping several husked sunflower and pumpkin seeds. 

They always seem to be working on at least 1 seed, hollowing it out or dragging (in the case of sunflower) them into the nest. 

The tube leading to the nest is full of junk and the nest is getting rather dirty too, but it doesn't seem to slow them down. They do bring trash to the corners of the outworld. I've actually noticed them piling trash on a wet cotton ball in the outworld, I am thinking I might encourage this as it is easy cleanup for me to just pull out the cotton ball. 

Over this weekend I spotted several workers on the OUTSIDE of the nest. After a while I pinpointed where they were escaping from and fixed it. A TINY spot where the hot glue didn't quite seal the glass to the nest was their point of escape. They didn't seem to swarm out of it, but there were several worker patrolling the outside of the nest. They DID  end up swarming as I disconnected the outworld and unplugged several ports trying to find where they were escaping, thankfully my aspirator made quick work of recollecting them and all is well. 

I have redesigned the nest layout and even split this nest in half to make a mini nest more suitable for smaller colonies. I am waiting on the prototypes for both. They should be working prototypes. I am also in the process of designing some other small accessories for quality of life that have yet to be printed. 

These tetras have been fun. They are easy, give em protein, sugar, water and warmth and they have just exploded. 

• ANTdrew likes this

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 4 2021 - 12:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Be careful with using hot glue for escape proofing. A lot of ants have no problems chewing through it. Silicone is a better way to go. Learned this the hard way!
  • Scherme and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#26 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 4 2021 - 1:47 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Why is this one star? It's a good journal.

Rated 5 stars.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 4 2021 - 1:47 PM.

• Scherme likes this

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 4 2021 - 1:56 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s that user going around giving every journal one star. This is getting out of hand.
  • Thatfa666ene and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#28 Offline Scherme - Posted January 4 2021 - 4:10 PM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Be careful with using hot glue for escape proofing. A lot of ants have no problems chewing through it. Silicone is a better way to go. Learned this the hard way!

The glass for the next set of nests will be secured with silicone, they should also be a tighter fit (hopefully) 

Moving them into this nest was a rushed job, they started digging through my tha mini hearth so i needed something fast.

• ANTdrew likes this

#29 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 4 2021 - 8:35 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

It’s that user going around giving every journal one star. This is getting out of hand.

Which user???

#30 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 5 2021 - 4:07 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Which user???

Not sure but I found another thread yesterday.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#31 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted January 5 2021 - 7:03 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Which user???

i found multiple threads yesterday. if you see this user, just know you are not funny, and that we can ask andrew to tell us who is doing this. 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#32 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 10 2021 - 9:51 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Their numbers increased, so I kept feeding and feeding and they have much higher numbers, if I had to guess.... maybe 50-60 workers?

They ALSO started chewing holes in my THA mini hearth... fun. I don't have the money for another nest. 

LUCKILY over the past month I have been designing a nest, based of the AntsMexico nest.

I pulled their nest mate out and emptied the water out, and put it back with no plug to increase airflow into their nest chamber.
Then I pulled the light block cap off and faced the glass towards a desklamp i had shining right at the nest.
I took the heating cable away and hooked it up in the channel made for heating cables in the new Schermicarium
added water to the Schermicarium and then hooked up the 2 nests and went to bed.

I stole one of my Camponotus outworlds and hooked it up, i don't expect them to find it or look for it anytime soon.
I will give them a few days to decrease in numbers from the THA nest as they are still running back and forth from it. 

I know this is a really late reply, but I had the exact same problem with my tetramorium in my mini hearth! I thought the type 3 material it was indestructible, but I guess not.

• Scherme likes this

#33 Offline Scherme - Posted January 11 2021 - 10:15 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I know this is a really late reply, but I had the exact same problem with my tetramorium in my mini hearth! I thought the type 3 material it was indestructible, but I guess not.

I have heard one other story of this happening as well. I really wanted the mini hearth for prenolepis imp so I'll try to repair it and hopefully get myself a P. imparis this spring. 

#34 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 11 2021 - 10:41 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Which user???

i found multiple threads yesterday. if you see this user, just know you are not funny, and that we can ask andrew to tell us who is doing this. 

wasnt it vendayn

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#35 Offline Scherme - Posted January 11 2021 - 11:12 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Which user???

wasnt it venday

A week late and not journal related.

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2021 - 11:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The only species I've ever had escape a mini-hearth is Tetramorium. I don't even know how they do it, to be honest. My Nylanderia and Pheidole, which are way smaller are fine in them with zero escapes.

• Scherme likes this

#37 Offline Scherme - Posted January 11 2021 - 11:30 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

The only species I've ever had escape a mini-hearth is Tetramorium. I don't even know how they do it, to be honest. My Nylanderia and Pheidole, which are way smaller are fine in them with zero escapes.

thankfully I noticed before there was any escape, I just noticed the start to a few tunnels in the corners that didn't exist before.

It funny though , I have had some times where my tetras have flooded out (like when I remove a tube or some cotton or something), but a few times I have gone in to check them out and there would just be 1 single worker sitting on top of the lid for the outworld.. I don't know if it is one that I didn't get from the couple times I have removed tubes and had to suck em all up with an aspirator or not. I just removed the top and turned it upside down, they would fall back in line. Thankfully I think any escape routes I might have are too big for queens. 

#38 Offline Spazmops - Posted January 11 2021 - 11:37 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I have Tetramorium in a minihearth at the moment and I haven't had an issue, but I'm dreading when they come out of diapause and explode in population. 

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#39 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 11 2021 - 11:41 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

thankfully I noticed before there was any escape, I just noticed the start to a few tunnels in the corners that didn't exist before.

It funny though , I have had some times where my tetras have flooded out (like when I remove a tube or some cotton or something), but a few times I have gone in to check them out and there would just be 1 single worker sitting on top of the lid for the outworld.. I don't know if it is one that I didn't get from the couple times I have removed tubes and had to suck em all up with an aspirator or not. I just removed the top and turned it upside down, they would fall back in line. Thankfully I think any escape routes I might have are too big for queens. 

Yeah that is really weird. My tetras were also tunneling in the corner. Now I have them in a fallen fortress and they seem to not be tunneling. Strange.

#40 Offline Scherme - Posted February 10 2021 - 10:31 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA
These don't seem to be getting tired of mealworms. That and wet cat food and pumpkin seeds. 
20210130 185548 1
Found a wasp coming out of hiding, wife asked me to get rid of it. Free ant food I guess.
20201226 154206 1
They are starting to really fill out the Schermicarium
20210130 190849
I have a new outworld on order, A larger version of what comes on top of THA minihearths. I'll be cleaning this one out and using it for the Camponotus soon. I am experimenting with keeping live plants in my outworlds. This is "turtle vine", it exploded on my kitchen window sill and rooted in tap water in 2 days so i figured "why not?"
20210206 105527
Bug Salad, Yummy Yummy
20210209 215025

Edited by Scherme, February 10 2021 - 10:35 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users