• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A noob with a massive colony of Myrmecia Nigrocincta...

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Ants.co - Posted September 23 2020 - 12:47 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

This colony is amazing. The queen just laid another batch of eggs which have all hatched into larvae and then laid another batch after that. The original batch has turned into a sea of super thicc larvae. They can reduce a cricket to nothing (the larvae eat the exoskeleton as well) in just 6-8 hours, and now they munch up more than 2 crickets a day.

Sorry I haven't been posting often since I am busy preparing for an exam.

Congrats on the magnificent find. It's always nice to do an excursion from your backyard, not having to drive. I wish your colony all the success!

Thanks!

#42 Offline Fatatoille - Posted September 23 2020 - 1:14 PM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)
Just a suggestion but if you continue to post Regular updates on this colony I would suggest starting a journal on these girls, not only do these journals hold much informative value for both specific species and ant husbandry in general, but as far as I have read only a handful of journals on any Myrmecia species on formiculture. people would love to hear more about such an interesting genus, especially for a colony on the larger side.

Edited by Fatatoille, September 23 2020 - 1:15 PM.

Prawn and Mayo sandwiches taste nice.

#43 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted September 23 2020 - 1:54 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Thanks mate. So I guess I'll keep them. The problem turned out to be that the outworld was too small, and now that I upgraded their outworld it seems like they are doing fine. I have all the equipment and facts (after reading this article:http://australian-an...depth of 15 cm.), so I guess I'm up for the challenge. 

What nest are they in?

#44 Offline Ants.co - Posted September 23 2020 - 1:59 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I already have a youtube channel where I update viewers on them and all my other colonies daily. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just a suggestion but if you continue to post Regular updates on this colony I would suggest starting a journal on these girls, not only do these journals hold much informative value for both specific species and ant husbandry in general, but as far as I have read only a handful of journals on any Myrmecia species on formiculture. people would love to hear more about such an interesting genus, especially for a colony on the larger side.

Thanks mate. So I guess I'll keep them. The problem turned out to be that the outworld was too small, and now that I upgraded their outworld it seems like they are doing fine. I have all the equipment and facts (after reading this article:http://australian-an...depth of 15 cm.), so I guess I'm up for the challenge. 

What nest are they in?

Aus Ants Acrylic nest medium. I know they prefer Ytong but they didn't have any available at that moment.

#45 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted September 23 2020 - 4:29 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I already have a youtube channel where I update viewers on them and all my other colonies daily. Thanks for the suggestion though.

What nest are they in?

Aus Ants Acrylic nest medium. I know they prefer Ytong but they didn't have any available at that moment.

It should be fine as long as they have access to substrate(like sand).

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#46 Offline Ants.co - Posted September 24 2020 - 11:39 AM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Umm they had until they moved all the substrate out of the nest and into the outworld. But they can bring it back whenever they want so...

What nest are they in?

#47 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted September 24 2020 - 1:17 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Umm they had until they moved all the substrate out of the nest and into the outworld. But they can bring it back whenever they want so...

Okay
btw the outworld in the ur YouTube videos r is bit small

Edited by MinigunL5, September 24 2020 - 1:18 PM.

#48 Offline Ants.co - Posted September 25 2020 - 12:10 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Okay

Yeah that was an old one. I upgraded their outworld into a much larger one months ago. 

#49 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted September 25 2020 - 5:59 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Okay

Yeah that was an old one. I upgraded their outworld into a much larger one months ago. 

Great! I also suggest you make a journal, since Myrmecia is my favorite genus I would definitely read it if u made one,

• Dry_Twig likes this

#50 Offline Ants.co - Posted September 26 2020 - 12:43 AM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Okay

Great! I also suggest you make a journal, since Myrmecia is my favorite genus I would definitely read it if u made one,

Yes I have a youtube channel on them (I don't have time for a journal), I'm uploading a vid tomorrow. Here is my channel: https://www.youtube....ih0ouqAEk_zMFA/

#51 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted September 26 2020 - 12:52 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Yes I have a youtube channel on them (I don't have time for a journal), I'm uploading a vid tomorrow. Here is my channel: https://www.youtube....ih0ouqAEk_zMFA/

Journal are pretty easy to start and server a different purpose than YouTube videos. They're more to document your ant's interesting lives than to get views and likes.

#52 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 26 2020 - 1:56 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
And some people keep their journals brief. It’d be less work than your videos most likely.

#53 Offline Ants.co - Posted September 28 2020 - 1:25 AM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

And some people keep their journals brief. It’d be less work than your videos most likely.

Ok, I'll start one then on my Pheidole supercolony and I'll update this thread whenever anything cool happens.

#54 Offline Scherme - Posted September 28 2020 - 12:34 PM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Best of luck with these, I'll be checking out the videos later. 

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#55 Offline Ants.co - Posted September 30 2020 - 2:51 AM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Best of luck with these, I'll be checking out the videos later. 

Thankyou.

By the way, big update: PUPAE!!! Two pupae were formed in one day, with 2 more already on the way! I'll make a video on it tomorrow.

#56 Offline Ants.co - Posted October 2 2020 - 2:35 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

6 Pupae and more coming!

#57 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 2 2020 - 2:41 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Nice I like your YouTube channel it’s entertaining but my suggestion is to maybe make videos other than time lapses on these, maybe next vid do a feeding where you feed fruit flys or something similar size to them.
We don’t talk about that

#58 Offline Ants.co - Posted October 3 2020 - 1:24 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Nice I like your YouTube channel it’s entertaining but my suggestion is to maybe make videos other than time lapses on these, maybe next vid do a feeding where you feed fruit flys or something similar size to them.

Thanks, I do update videos on it too and I literally am in the middle of editing an unboxing video

#59 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 3 2020 - 3:47 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Ok nice. 

We don’t talk about that

#60 Offline Ants.co - Posted October 9 2020 - 3:05 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

28 PUPAE!!!! And a new batch of eggs  (y)

• TestSubjectOne likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users