• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A noob with a massive colony of Myrmecia Nigrocincta...

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 24 2020 - 3:05 AM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Them as in Myrmecia  :/

• United-Ants likes this

#22 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 24 2020 - 5:51 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

A few of your workers are visibly damaged (missing an antenna, one has a broken mandible, etc.). This could account for some of the die-off. If you’re dead set on keeping this colony I suggest you try to pm other ant keepers who keep myrmecia,

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 24 2020 - 6:11 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

How on Earth did you manage not to get stung when collecting these???

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#24 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 24 2020 - 6:41 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Gloves maybe?

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#25 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 24 2020 - 7:28 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would advise to not use beetle jelly and other substitutes as their main source of protein, Myrmecia love their insects.

• DDD101DDD likes this

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 24 2020 - 7:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Gloves maybe?

But what if they crawled in his shoes and up his legs, or past the gloves.......... when I've broken into Tetramorium colonies, they do this to me, and I spend several minutes afterwards plucking ants off my legs and shoes.  :facepalm: I'm probably not going to do that again any time soon. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#27 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 24 2020 - 12:01 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

How on Earth did you manage not to get stung when collecting these???

I did get stung, once. It took me an hour to catch all of them, one at a time. Thankfully, I had read this article https://www.formicul...g-up-myrmecia/? a few months ago (at the time thinking it was a good read and nothing else), and it taught me one thing: take it slow and one at a time. I tricked each worker into walking into a field vial (only one or two were injured out of the 50) by placing the vial in front of it, and just gently scooped up the brood afterward. I got stung when one of them jumped over the tube and onto my hand. It hurt for days :sore:

I would advise to not use beetle jelly and other substitutes as their main source of protein, Myrmecia love their insects.

Thanks so much for the advice! The ants haven't been eating much of the jelly, though I did see one of the workers lick it. I fed them a half-dead cricket (I cut it's head off but it was still walking around a bit) and the ants seemed to be very interested in it. They took it down in seconds and took it back to the nest to consume.

A few of your workers are visibly damaged (missing an antenna, one has a broken mandible, etc.). This could account for some of the die-off. If you’re dead set on keeping this colony I suggest you try to pm other ant keepers who keep myrmecia,

Thanks, I have noticed that the few injured ones (the ones that were injured when I found them and the two I caused  :*() were the ones dying off, thou

Gloves maybe?

But what if they crawled in his shoes and up his legs, or past the gloves.......... when I've broken into Tetramorium colonies, they do this to me, and I spend several minutes afterwards plucking ants off my legs and shoes.   :facepalm: I'm probably not going to do that again any time soon. 

Ouch. I had that when I was catching Pheidole as well. Their stings didn't hurt (though one major literally cut my skin), but they were climbing all over me. It felt like I was getting electric shocked by the sheer amount of ants running all over my body. Ended up having to take a shower afterwards  :lol:

• AntsDakota likes this

#28 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 24 2020 - 12:02 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Spazmops, on 24 Jul 2020 - 11:51 PM, said:

snapback.png

Oops one of the quotes got cut off. 

Thanks, I have noticed that the few injured ones (the ones that were injured when I found them and the two I caused   :*() were the ones dying off, though one of the dead ones was actually perfectly healthy. Probably due to stress... I won't be filming them nor touching their nest area for a few weeks and I'll see how it goes. Their nest is connected to their outworld via a 50cm tube (is that even good? Do the ants like to forage far from their nest? As far as I have read no one has mentioned anything about their foraging distance) so whenever I feed or clean their outworld the nest isn't affected. 

By the way, how do you pm? 

Gloves maybe?

Nah, I wasn't prepared as I said. First thing I did when I kicked that rock: Panic. Hard. I literally jumped as far as these ants would have jumped if they were me  :lol:

If it wasn't for my friend who saw the queen and isolated it from the rest of the colony with a stick I would have given up on this colony. 

• Antkid12 likes this

#29 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 24 2020 - 2:24 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
It’s the ‘messenger’ button under your profile tab. It sounds like you’re trying your best to keep these ants alive, so that’s good. Too many people forget they’re dealing with living creatures when they break into ant colonies.

Ants I have:

#30 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 24 2020 - 2:27 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

It’s the ‘messenger’ button under your profile tab. It sounds like you’re trying your best to keep these ants alive, so that’s good. Too many people forget they’re dealing with living creatures when they break into ant colonies.

Thanks mate. 

#31 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 24 2020 - 2:35 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Phone glitched and put the same message twice, sorry

Edited by Spazmops, July 24 2020 - 2:36 PM.

Ants I have:

#32 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 24 2020 - 2:42 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They apparently prefer to forage above ground on trees. Maybe if you add something tall to their outworld and provide food on it they will like that.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 24 2020 - 2:45 PM.

#33 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 24 2020 - 3:36 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Best of luck on your colony by the way, if you keep these successfully they’ll be awesome. Australia has some incredible ants.

Ants I have:

#34 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 24 2020 - 3:52 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Best of luck on your colony by the way, if you keep these successfully they’ll be awesome. Australia has some incredible ants.

Thanks!

They apparently prefer to forage above ground on trees. Maybe if you add something tall to their outworld and provide food on it they will like that.

Thanks for the advice, I have found that they like to climb on the sticks and branches I provided so I'll try make this platform for them to forage on. I'll see if it works.

#35 Offline Ants.co - Posted August 13 2020 - 11:14 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Hello everybody, I'm back, and the colony has been going perfectly! No deaths in the past few weeks and they have been drinking tonnes of sugary stuff, plus they have taken a cricket or two.

• DDD101DDD and Antkid12 like this

#36 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 14 2020 - 7:04 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#37 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 14 2020 - 7:14 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

More protein. Protein is essential to a mature colony. Try other insects and arthropods as well.

#38 Offline Ants.co - Posted August 18 2020 - 1:30 AM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Awesome, thanks for the tip! They only have eggs right now though, and haven't been eating the cockroaches or crickets I gave them. But somehow they have been eating ALL the protein jelly and powder I gave them... Strange, as they are supposed to like real insects.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#39 Offline Ants.co - Posted August 30 2020 - 12:24 AM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Ok, their eggs have hatched, and more have been laid, and they gobble up a whole cricket/roach every single day.

#40 Offline zantezaint - Posted August 30 2020 - 9:06 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Congrats on the magnificent find. It's always nice to do an excursion from your backyard, not having to drive. I wish your colony all the success!

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users