• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why do people on Formiculture not like the ants and Antkeeping discord server?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#61 Offline aznphenom - Posted September 10 2020 - 7:02 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

is there a Discord connected to this site? 

I'd love to join if so!

https://discord.gg/Yfxxg2E

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#62 Offline MillyMoney - Posted September 10 2020 - 7:12 AM

MillyMoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHi Desert California

Thank you!  :)

#63 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted September 10 2020 - 7:14 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

is there a Discord connected to this site? 

I'd love to join if so!

https://discord.gg/Yfxxg2E

I don't believe Ants & Ant Keeping is associated with formiculture at all.

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and Somethinghmm like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#64 Offline MillyMoney - Posted September 10 2020 - 7:16 AM

MillyMoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHi Desert California

Joined and verified phone, signed in but still don't see the other rooms besides that first one. I do use Discord all the time, usually I can see the rooms listed on the left ...

Oh it isn't?

Okay ... thanks

Edited by MillyMoney, September 10 2020 - 7:16 AM.

#65 Offline madbiologist - Posted September 10 2020 - 7:17 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Joined and verified phone, signed in but still don't see the other rooms besides that first one. I do use Discord all the time, usually I can see the rooms listed on the left ...

Edit: rip wifi

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Edited by madbiologist, September 10 2020 - 7:19 AM.

#66 Offline madbiologist - Posted September 10 2020 - 7:18 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Dm one of the mods, they should be able to help you, Tjelve and Aero are online right now.

#67 Offline zantezaint - Posted September 10 2020 - 7:26 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Nobody has time to collect ants now. Everyone has to hustle or go homeless. Unemployment is off the charts. Ant-keeping is now a luxury.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#68 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 10 2020 - 3:23 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

I love using discord, but honestly I just enjoy coming here and reading through journals etc. Other than faster responses, its kinda meh for me to join it XD

• Antkid12 likes this

#69 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 10 2020 - 5:06 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I love using discord, but honestly I just enjoy coming here and reading through journals etc. Other than faster responses, its kinda meh for me to join it XD

Same.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#70 Offline madbiologist - Posted September 10 2020 - 5:10 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
In my opinion, they're both great in their own different ways. Formiculture allows you to document your antkeeping experience for future keepers to learn from, and AAK allows for you to talk with and discuss with other keepers in real time, as well as help out beginners quickly.

• OhNoNotAgain and 11.11.00 like this

#71 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted September 10 2020 - 8:08 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

best place ever bio

#72 Offline Scherme - Posted September 11 2020 - 8:56 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

My 2 cents -

Forums and chat rooms are 2 different resources that I use in different ways, although there is some overlap.

FC is a great place for journals, tutorials, long term storage of information with easy access - pictures/discussions.

I love when people like or chime in on my journal posts with approval/disapproval, recommendations/suggestions, general knowledge, it helps me learn but these journals

are for me. Scrolling back to where I started and seeing where I am now is incredibly useful. 

On the forums, I feel, it is good etiquette to make sure you are not asking a duplicate question.( I am guilty of not making sure I am asking a duplicate question).

Discord is much more fast paced and real time (when there is activity). If I ask a question there that has been asked a million times, it doesn't feel like it matters as much that I wasted a line with my question.

I also tend to stay out of General in the particular server that is being discussed and focus most of my attention on my own regional channel.
There are many people from everywhere in General, caring for ants that I have no interest in caring for (Although I do find them interesting), so I stick to channels that are more relevant to me, 

During flights in my state, it seems easier to see if others were experiences flights, and what conditions they were in. I can ask for spots to hunt, trade ants and equipment, and even potentially

organize a group hunt, post covid. 

I am relatively new to that server, I have had no run ins with mods or other characters, although there are characters. 

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#73 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 11 2020 - 9:13 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I just haven't tried the discord because formiculture satisfies me fully.

• FSTP and TennesseeAnts like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#74 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 11 2020 - 10:28 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Formiculture is by far the friendliest community I’ve ever been a part of. I’m on discord for other things besides ant keeping, and the people can be just rude (not a part of the ant keeping discord so I can’t speak for them however).
  • FSTP and TennesseeAnts like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#75 Offline madbiologist - Posted September 11 2020 - 10:35 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Formiculture is by far the friendliest community I’ve ever been a part of. I’m on discord for other things besides ant keeping, and the people can be just rude (not a part of the ant keeping discord so I can’t speak for them however).

The ant keeping discord is the nicest discord server I have ever been on, there have been times where people joined with the intention of trolling and then just left because according to them, "they would have felt bad if they trolled us" haha.

• AntsDakota and Froggy like this

#76 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 11 2020 - 11:12 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

The Ants & Ant-Keeping server is very formal and is run very well; I find it more fun and easy to interact with people on Discord than in a forum setting because it's a lot more active and fast-moving and has a lot of features (and, though it is a LOT more formal than most Discord servers, the chat is obviously much more laid back than if you were posting in a forum thread). Forums come in handy when you're posting or searching for detailed, in-depth information that can be traced back several years.

• Somethinghmm, AntsDakota and TechAnt like this

#77 Offline AntsOneida - Posted September 20 2020 - 4:20 PM

AntsOneida

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOneida County Wisconsin!

Because Ant keeping and ethology is better cause they don't ban you for having exotic ants. and is a much more chill place.

• Barristan and CheetoLord02 like this

#78 Offline Barristan - Posted September 21 2020 - 12:57 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Yeah it is funny how many users they've already banned for various reasons. The funniest reason was, that someone sold his ant colonies for too much money. It is especially funny if you know that Admin's buddy sells some of his colonies for $500 or even $2000.

So stay away from this discord server...

Edited by Barristan, September 21 2020 - 12:58 AM.

• AnthonyP163 and CheetoLord02 like this

#79 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted September 21 2020 - 3:59 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Because Ant keeping and ethology is better cause they don't ban you for having exotic ants. and is a much more chill place.

Well exotic ants are illegal in some parts of the world so it makes sense.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#80 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted September 21 2020 - 5:36 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Personally. I really like Discord for its fast pace. If ever have a question I can just ask on AAK and 1-3 experienced ant-keepers will respond relatively quickly. Although Formiculture is great in its own ways, making a post and getting help with ants is a lot more tedious and nowhere near as quick and simple as on Discord. If you don't like Ants & Ant-Keeping server because it's too strict then I suggest you go the AKE(Ants-Keeping & Ethology). It is a lot less strict although it can be a bit edgier, and tbh it's not as good for getting help with ant-keeping. AKE also has a lot of experienced ant-keepers that were banned from AAK. In the end, all of these ant-keeping platforms all have their ups and downs so I think we should respect them all, even if we choose not to participate in some.

Edited by MinigunL5, September 21 2020 - 9:10 AM.

• Somethinghmm and madbiologist like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users