• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why do people on Formiculture not like the ants and Antkeeping discord server?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:19 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Well i just discovered why everyone hates them. There was a post on an exotic colony i had on formiculture and i got banned for it, even though that was posted like 4 months ago and wasnt even on discord. The idiots there will ban you for something you didn't even do on their hardcore native server

I also got rid of that colony and now only keep native species

Edited by Manitobant, September 21 2020 - 10:20 AM.

• Barristan, AnthonyP163, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this

#82 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:21 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Because Ant keeping and ethology is better cause they don't ban you for having exotic ants. and is a much more chill place.

Well because you shouldn't have exotic ants...

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#83 Offline madbiologist - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:25 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Well i just discovered why everyone hates them. There was a post on an exotic colony i had on formiculture and i got banned for it, even though that was posted like 4 months ago and wasnt even on discord. The idiots there will ban you for something you didn't even do on their hardcore native server

This literally just happened, and you immediately came here to hate on AAK. If they were in the wrong, shouldn't you be trying to get your ban corrected instead of coming here to call them names?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

#84 Offline Barristan - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:26 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

This literally just happened, and you immediately came here to hate on AAK. If they were in the wrong, shouldn't you be trying to get your ban corrected instead of coming here to call them names?

It is pointless to do that, best thing is to make all the [censored] public they do, so people get warned and won't waste there time there. Are you part of the mod team there? xd

• Manitobant likes this

#85 Offline madbiologist - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:31 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Are you part of the mod team there?

Nope, just someone who doesn't support illegal trade.

#86 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:37 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Because Ant keeping and ethology is better cause they don't ban you for having exotic ants. and is a much more chill place.

Well because you shouldn't have exotic ants...

Matter of opinion. If you don't support illegal trade, don't participate in it. 

• Barristan and CheetoLord02 like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#87 Offline Barristan - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:42 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

If they'd act like a competent moderator team they'd speak out warnings first, but only if the person posts their journal on their discord server, it should not matter what a person does outside of the server.

But no they act like ant keeping secret police and try to find out where you might post your forbidden journals. The funny thing is they even expect that ant keepers who got banned from their server are also banned here. They tried that several times lol. Luckily Drew doesn't follow that non sense...

• AnthonyP163 and Manitobant like this

#88 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:48 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The ant keeping discord would kill peoples cats and dogs if they legally could, because they aren't native either (granted they do more damage than ants do). So why stop at ants and ban people for anything not native, especially when cats/dogs do far more damage to the environment. Unless someone is keeping a coyote or mountain lion, those are native. Should be perfectly fine then according to them.

Edited by Vendayn, September 21 2020 - 10:57 AM.

• Barristan and MinigunL5 like this

#89 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 21 2020 - 11:01 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

The ant keeping discord ban anyone for something not native even if they post about it on another forum is pretty hypocritical. They don't ban people for cats or dogs (that like I said above do FAR more damage than ants do), or other non-native pets. Do they ban people for keeping bearded dragons? or other exotic reptiles? Bearded dragons are native to australia, not the US. It shows incredible hypocrisy to their own rules.

And if its because bearded dragons are legal to keep, most exotic ants in the US...are legal to keep. Unless they are under quarantine like Solenopsis invicta then it would be illegal. But, most ants are legal to keep even if not native (as long as didn't break the law to get them like buying them from another state or country)...like bearded dragons are legal...and they can still cause issues with the ecosystem if released in a favored habitat.

Edited by Vendayn, September 21 2020 - 11:07 AM.

• Barristan and Manitobant like this

#90 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 21 2020 - 11:40 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Anyway, not to make three posts in a row but on my mobile its not letting me edit (I was able to edit on my PC) I have to be on my PC for some reason. But the community is friendly on the ant discord for most part. Most of their rules make sense, like no illegal ant trading. Their rule of no non-native ants at all (even if they are legal and not in quarantine) even if post about it on other forums is weird unless they start banning everything I listed above or its just a hypocritical non-sense rule. Because if they hate non-natives that much, then that should mean they want people to keep coyotes and mountain lions (they are native after all and coyotes are legal in some states) but ban people for cats and dogs, bearded dragons and anything not native lol, but they don't do that. 

Personally never had an issue with discord or anyone in particular in the discord chat, since I don't keep non-native ants. But I didn't like how they ran things. This forum is far more "free" and drew really accomplishes a lot to make this forum open for all, except for the most blatant problem users.

Edited by Vendayn, September 21 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#91 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted September 21 2020 - 11:40 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

The ant keeping discord ban anyone for something not native even if they post about it on another forum is pretty hypocritical. They don't ban people for cats or dogs (that like I said above do FAR more damage than ants do), or other non-native pets. Do they ban people for keeping bearded dragons? or other exotic reptiles? Bearded dragons are native to australia, not the US. It shows incredible hypocrisy to their own rules.

And if its because bearded dragons are legal to keep, most exotic ants in the US...are legal to keep. Unless they are under quarantine like Solenopsis invicta then it would be illegal. But, most ants are legal to keep even if not native (as long as didn't break the law to get them like buying them from another state or country)...like bearded dragons are legal...and they can still cause issues with the ecosystem if released in a favored habitat.

Well people don't actually get banned for keeping a non native to my knowledge, it's the way they were obtained. Keeping harmful invasives is often frowned upon on the server, but I don't think anyone has been banned for that unless the invasives were obtained illegally.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#92 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 21 2020 - 11:52 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Well people don't actually get banned for keeping a non native to my knowledge, it's the way they were obtained. Keeping harmful invasives is often frowned upon on the server, but I don't think anyone has been banned for that unless the invasives were obtained illegally.

ah I see. Cause my impression and from what I've heard from others banned was no non-native ants at all. I mean like I said above, generally the members are friendly and personally never had an issue with the discord since my ants are native. My main problem wasn't really that rule, cause there are illegal ant traders out there which I imagine is to stop that rule, but it just ends on ants and not anything else not native. But, if its more how they are obtained that be different. I guess my main problem was while the community was generally friendly, the discord felt more like one of those dystopian fake utopia societies "if you agree with us then we accept you, if not we ban you". Drew doesn't ban someone in chat or forums just because someone doesn't agree with him. I mean again, I never had an issue, but it always felt like had to agree with them on everything or be outed of the community so I just left on my own accord lol.

#93 Offline Froggy - Posted September 21 2020 - 12:06 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

I've never seen people banned for keeping non natives, only for illegally obtained exotics

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#94 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 21 2020 - 12:07 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

ah I see. Cause my impression and from what I've heard from others banned was no non-native ants at all. I mean like I said above, generally the members are friendly and personally never had an issue with the discord since my ants are native. My main problem wasn't really that rule, cause there are illegal ant traders out there which I imagine is to stop that rule, but it just ends on ants and not anything else not native. But, if its more how they are obtained that be different. I guess my main problem was while the community was generally friendly, the discord felt more like one of those dystopian fake utopia societies "if you agree with us then we accept you, if not we ban you". Drew doesn't ban someone in chat or forums just because someone doesn't agree with him. I mean again, I never had an issue, but it always felt like had to agree with them on everything or be outed of the community so I just left on my own accord lol.

Yeah, the rule is against illegal ants, not nonnative ants. Most people keep or have kept a non-native ant species at some point anyway.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#95 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 21 2020 - 12:09 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Yeah, the rule is against illegal ants, not nonnative ants. Most people keep or have kept a non-native ant species at some point anyway.

Okay, that is a lot better then. I suppose can't just go by what others say all the time. My impression was from what people have said about being banned, was just because of the non-natives not how they ended up with the ant. I guess when someone is banned they don't actually admit the full story.

#96 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 21 2020 - 12:25 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Its still unfair that they will PURPOSELY try to find all your exotic posts and ban you even if you commited the offense on a different site.

Also they called me out on it in front of everyone instead of telling me in DMs like actually reasonable people.

Edited by Manitobant, September 21 2020 - 12:35 PM.

#97 Offline Froggy - Posted September 21 2020 - 1:11 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Its still unfair that they will PURPOSELY try to find all your exotic posts and ban you even if you commited the offense on a different site.

Also they called me out on it in front of everyone instead of telling me in DMs like actually reasonable people.

the server has a 0% tolerance policy for illegally obtained ants, and I don't see how it would be "unfair", if you keep illegal ants, you get banned, it doesn't matter if you talked about it on the discord or not, from what I've seen, they want to keep the reputation of the hobby good in the eyes of the government, more illegal trade = more bad attention and we don't want more restricting laws about ant keeping, do we? I don't know the laws in Canada, but from my understanding, you can't get any ants from outside your country, what did you get banned for anyways?

• Antennal_Scrobe and Ants_Dakota like this

#98 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted September 21 2020 - 1:23 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

the server has a 0% tolerance policy for illegally obtained ants, and I don't see how it would be "unfair", if you keep illegal ants, you get banned, it doesn't matter if you talked about it on the discord or not, from what I've seen, they want to keep the reputation of the hobby good in the eyes of the government, more illegal trade = more bad attention and we don't want more restricting laws about ant keeping, do we? I don't know the laws in Canada, but from my understanding, you can't get any ants from outside your country, what did you get banned for anyways?

The Ants & Ant Keeping Discord server is the only one to take this to such a radical level. Seeking out a 'bad deed' that someone has done in order to get proof to ban them. 

Keeping illegally obtained ants vs native ants is a controversy. The AAK Discord server happens to be run by someone on one side of that controversy, and so they ban everyone who caters to the other side. How is this just? It's crazy to me how so many people tolerate such a single-minded server. 

• Barristan, CheetoLord02, Manitobant and 2 others like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#99 Offline Froggy - Posted September 21 2020 - 1:35 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

The Ants & Ant Keeping Discord server is the only one to take this to such a radical level. Seeking out a 'bad deed' that someone has done in order to get proof to ban them. 

Keeping illegally obtained ants vs native ants is a controversy. The AAK Discord server happens to be run by someone on one side of that controversy, and so they ban everyone who caters to the other side. How is this just? It's crazy to me how so many people tolerate such a single-minded server. 

I'm pretty sure there's no "battle" between illegally obtained vs native, it's literally illegal, it's against the lawI don't care for non-natives, go ahead, as long as your not releasing them, but illegally obtained ants are a different story entirely

#100 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted September 21 2020 - 2:06 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I'm pretty sure there's no "battle" between illegally obtained vs native, it's literally illegal, it's against the lawI don't care for non-natives, go ahead, as long as your not releasing them, but illegally obtained ants are a different story entirely

You are not a police officer, it's really none of your business how people obtained the ants that they keep. This is taken even a step further when people, myself included, are banned for keeping exotic ants even when they purposefully avoid mentioning them at all on the server. Personally I believe, even as someone who maintains the "I don't care what you do" mentality, that if you are literally not breaking the rules of the server apart from solely outside of the server, where the rules do not apply, then there is absolutely no grounds for you to get banned. This is a huge problem with AAK. They maintain the fact that their server's rules apply to THE ENTIRE INTERNET. The people on that server specifically seek out people who keep exotic species to personally hunt them down and dehumanize them, branding them as "notorious illegal traders" and the like. There are seriously cases of people being called "illegal traders" and getting banned instantly (after a good old fashioned public shaming) because they caught a species that was native to their state in the next state over and brought them home.

Even worse, there have been people to be banned, without warning, for not snitching on people who are keeping exotics. In the case of my ban, I specifically avoided talking about my exotic colony anywhere on that server at all. However, I did mention then on a public server that myself and AnthonyP163 moderated. The AAK mods joined my server with alts, banned me on AAK for talking about exotics on my own server, and then proceeded to ban Anthony for not snitching on me to them. He was even a mod on AAK at that time.

To me, that behavior is absolutely absurd. As a moderator on several Discord servers I have NEVER banned anybody for something they have done outside of my server, not to mention that on Antkeeping and Ethology we just simply don't ask about exotics that people may have, because it's not our business. Somebody has Odontomachus in Nebraska? Oh well, I'm sure they have a permit or something. Because it's not our business to ask. We are just Discord moderators, not police officers.

• Barristan, AnthonyP163, FSTP and 4 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users