• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AAC Block

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted September 26 2020 - 5:51 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Quick question:  I have looked EVERYWHERE and can't find AAC. (Ytong)  I know it's not made in the US and was created in Sweden, but it seems like they should be able to import it or something??  I am interested in making some formicaria, and that seemed like a good option.  My brother is really into 3D printing, and he has one, so I might look into that.  Is it possible to import AAC?  And what is "hydrostone"?

• Ants_Dakota and AleeGuy like this

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 26 2020 - 6:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hydrostone is a gypsum based plaster. You can pour into any mold to shape a formicarium.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 6:06 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Basically aac is a aired out brick that most people just buy on eBay but you can also get firebrick which is made in the us and is softer than ytong and you can also get that on eBay
We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline Devi - Posted September 26 2020 - 6:39 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I talked to my brother and we started designing something.  The only issue is the hydratation.  I don't really know how I could hydrate it.  I thought of two sponges one on each side and then a tiny hole drilled into the side so you could stick a small syringe into it and hydrate that way.  The plus side to that is that they can drink from the sponges.  And if there is two sponges, then you could alternate them when you hydrate so there is less chance of mold outbreak.  How else could I hydrate it?  You guys will probably have some insight. :)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#5 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 6:48 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
It’s very easy to hydrate them I’ve had many nests being made with sponges but either a water tower ( small paint cup from hobby lobby) with mesh over it or sponges work even just sticking a syringe in a place the ants can’t fit in works I will be making a firebrick nest very soon with many materials and inspired by many company’s and I will document my progress throughout making it.

Edited by KitsAntVa, September 26 2020 - 6:49 AM.

• Ants_Dakota, Devi and AleeGuy like this
We don’t talk about that

#6 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 6:50 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Also all the things I am using cost a little less than a fortress but mine are like half the size so I’m calling them mini fortresses.
  • Devi likes this
We don’t talk about that

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 26 2020 - 7:17 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

sponges would work probably the easiest for 3d and firebrick nests.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 26 2020 - 7:32 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
You can use mesh with not too small holes if you want, and pva sponge that is mold proof because it's not organic or something(btw it's non toxic)(I linked them just in case if you decide use them)
Mesh: https://www.amazon.c...i_RX1BFbRJ0A0HV
Pva sponge: https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0yISXZ

It’s very easy to hydrate them I’ve had many nests being made with sponges but either a water tower ( small paint cup from hobby lobby) with mesh over it or sponges work even just sticking a syringe in a place the ants can’t fit in works I will be making a firebrick nest very soon with many materials and inspired by many company’s and I will document my progress throughout making it.

I'm making with water tower too but in plaster formicarium do you think it will prevent mold outbreak? I will even sand-coat chambers so food leftovers won't touch the plaster.
  • Devi likes this

#9 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 7:45 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Yes that should be fine if your basically copying THA design.
  • Devi likes this
We don’t talk about that

#10 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 26 2020 - 8:00 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Yes that should be fine if your basically copying THA design.

Basically yes lmao, but initially I got this idea about sand-coat in some guys journal, he was making a lot of different types of formicariums in that journal
  • Devi likes this

#11 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 8:39 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Edited by KitsAntVa, September 26 2020 - 8:53 AM.

We don’t talk about that

#12 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 8:41 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
That’s basically what THA does but I’m pretty sure Mack has a special mold for all his formicaria and he puts sand in his to make the sand stick while it forming.
We don’t talk about that

#13 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 8:53 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Also mold has a hard time forming in anything other than a test tube unless there is decaying matter on the surface of the nest.
  • AleeGuy likes this
We don’t talk about that

#14 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 26 2020 - 10:02 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

That’s basically what THA does but I’m pretty sure Mack has a special mold for all his formicaria and he puts sand in his to make the sand stick while it forming.

That's what I was planning to do with play-doh, and I will take plaster early to add some more sand to it

#15 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 11:31 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
THA doesn’t add sand into the plaster first Mack forms the chambers with the sand, he makes the sand wet then forms the chamber with that because it keeps the sand on the inside, clay or playdoh also works but the chambers then cannot have sand in them. I hope this makes sense and if you need more help there are tutorials on here that detail this whole thing perfectly.
Also don’t make the plaster early it’s best to get everything set up before making the plaster especially if your using plaster of Paris.
  • AleeGuy likes this
We don’t talk about that

#16 Offline Barristan - Posted September 27 2020 - 2:36 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Could you link a detailed tutorial pls? But this makes sense. I tried adding sand myself but it won't stick if you add it to the moist plaster... adding non toxic glue to the plaster and sand add some sand also works.

#17 Offline steelplant - Posted September 27 2020 - 12:20 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

You can also make a plaster insert for hydration, eg for 3d printed nests. Esthetic Ants' latest YouTube vid has a great example of this. Sorry can't link at mo but you can search it.

Edit: here's the link ...

Edited by steelplant, September 28 2020 - 7:00 AM.

• Devi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users