• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What do people think about your hobby?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2020 - 1:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This literally happened today at Petsmart! I bought a mini heat mat and got asked what I keep. I think I blew the girl’s mind.
  • BugFinder, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 4 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 9 2020 - 2:07 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

:lol:Funny!

#Ants4Life

#43 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 9 2020 - 2:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

This literally happened today at Petsmart! I bought a mini heat mat and got asked what I keep. I think I blew the girl’s mind.

The girl who helped me was chatting with some customers ahead of us (which took forever). She was describing her pets. She had reptiles, fish, etc. in multitudes, apparently.
  • BugFinder, Ants_Dakota and Thunder_Birds like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#44 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 9 2020 - 2:15 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

People and the their animals/insects   :facepalm:  :lol:

Edited by Thunder_Birds, March 9 2020 - 2:16 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

#Ants4Life

#45 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 9 2020 - 5:23 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I tend not to tell people. Only my closest of friends know. Most of my Family doesn't even know. I stopped telling people because when I woudl say I have a whole extra room in my house that is just full of ant colonies they seem to think I have a bunch of uncle milton setups everywhere or something. So I don't care to waste the time explaining the difference between what I do and the uncle milton stuff. Especially since its not like they end up being at all interested. There are exceptions though, if I meet someone that expressly shows interest in nature or insects in general. But that's far and few between.

Same here. When people at the pet store ask what I have at home, I just make up some excuse.

Really? There are literally like 5 people at the pet store that now know i have an ant colony. Just ask them, AntsDakota, and they would remember me :D(pretty hard not to remember someone who keeps ants)

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#46 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 9 2020 - 5:24 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

The girl who helped me was chatting with some customers ahead of us (which took forever). She was describing her pets. She had reptiles, fish, etc. in multitudes, apparently.

Someone at that store had 9 aquariums, ranging from 5-190 gallons.

• Thunder_Birds likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#47 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 9 2020 - 5:24 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

That’s a lot!

#Ants4Life

#48 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 9 2020 - 5:50 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I tend not to tell people. Only my closest of friends know. Most of my Family doesn't even know. I stopped telling people because when I woudl say I have a whole extra room in my house that is just full of ant colonies they seem to think I have a bunch of uncle milton setups everywhere or something. So I don't care to waste the time explaining the difference between what I do and the uncle milton stuff. Especially since its not like they end up being at all interested. There are exceptions though, if I meet someone that expressly shows interest in nature or insects in general. But that's far and few between.

Same here. When people at the pet store ask what I have at home, I just make up some excuse.

Really? There are literally like 5 people at the pet store that now know i have an ant colony. Just ask them, AntsDakota, and they would remember me :D(pretty hard not to remember someone who keeps ants)

Your real name is AntsDakota? Or are you faking your information?

#49 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 4:23 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Your real name is AntsDakota? Or are you faking your information?

No, that is not his real name.

#50 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 10 2020 - 9:20 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I think one phrase sums this up pretty well: I'm single for a reason :ugone2far:

Every girlfriend I've ever had has left me because of my interests. They just don't understand...
imagine having girlfriends
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

#51 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 10 2020 - 9:36 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Hahaha :lol: Well, I am not aloud to have a girlfriend yet, two more years...

I think it is just like having a BFF, but evan better friends than that :)

Edited by Thunder_Birds, March 10 2020 - 9:38 AM.

• justanotheramy and Ants_Dakota like this

#Ants4Life

#52 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:33 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

My kids love the ants - no one else seems to care except fellow ant keepers.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#53 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
It’d be nice to find a girlfriend at an entomology class, if one decided to take one.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#54 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:34 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Someone at that store had 9 aquariums, ranging from 5-190 gallons.

Fish people are like ant people.  They never stop with just one set up lol.

• justanotheramy and Ants_Dakota like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#55 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:36 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Except aquariums take much more space and maintenance. You can just stick a queen ant in a test tube and leave her be for a few weeks.

Edited by AntsDakota, March 10 2020 - 12:37 PM.

• justanotheramy likes this

#56 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:44 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

I think one phrase sums this up pretty well: I'm single for a reason :ugone2far:

Every girlfriend I've ever had has left me because of my interests. They just don't understand...
imagine having girlfriends

Haha, I think it would be interesting, would have to be one freaking committed girl :lol:  (or crazy one) %)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#57 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:47 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Unless she also appreciates arthropods; girls like that would most likely be found in entomology classes, as I said-

It’d be nice to find a girlfriend at an entomology class, if one decided to take one.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#58 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 10 2020 - 2:54 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I had to persuade my father and my mum was absolutely baffled that I could persuade my dad so yeah, there's my scoop

• Ants_Dakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#59 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 10 2020 - 2:56 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

To date?

#Ants4Life

#60 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 3:23 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

This conversation is so good i am going to have to like all the posts lol :lol:

• FSTP and Thunder_Birds like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users