• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What do people think about your hobby?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 6 2020 - 3:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The friend that was interested in the founding stage is now trying to get a queen. And he has a good chance too, so I told him exactly how to find Camponotus queens, so he will try to get some on Spring break! That way, if I don't find any, and he does, I will be able to get my hands on some queens for free.

• AntsDakota, zantezaint and Thunder_Birds like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 6 2020 - 3:38 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Edit:answer to (ants Dakota)

I'd disagree on that one not that it's not the truth it was like that for me as well but it's not the people I hang out with.

I know a lot of people with Hobbys and they like to talk about it too (making music, collecting vintage stuff or knifes or into cars or whatever it might be) I get excited about what they are passionate about even if I don't share their interest but I still like hearing what they have to talk about and show me.

All the people I talk to about ants I already know that they think like that.
And that's the reason why I'm on this forum cause I wanna talk about ants in detail and often and I don't wanna bother anyone whos not into that

Edited by AntaholicAnonymous, March 6 2020 - 3:39 PM.

• justanotheramy and Ants_Dakota like this

#23 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 6 2020 - 3:54 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They say: u r wierd

or: I don't care

• zantezaint likes this

#24 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 6 2020 - 8:46 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I'd be interested to see how this breaks down by age.

My working hypothesis is that the people getting the stupidest response are younger.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#25 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:23 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

The friend that was interested in the founding stage is now trying to get a queen. And he has a good chance too, so I told him exactly how to find Camponotus queens, so he will try to get some on Spring break! That way, if I don't find any, and he does, I will be able to get my hands on some queens for free.

That’s awesome!

#Ants4Life

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:53 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
If we all were this active about recruiting new ant keepers, the hobby would grow exponentially.
  • Ants_Dakota and Thunder_Birds like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#27 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 7 2020 - 7:16 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

If we all were this active about recruiting new ant keepers, the hobby would grow exponentially.

Yeah B)

#Ants4Life

#28 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 7 2020 - 9:37 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Remember: big does not mean good. So many things have been ruined because too many people started showing up.

It's better to have a small but still sizeable hobby that's small enough to manage.

• TennesseeAnts, NickAnter, DDD101DDD and 4 others like this

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 10:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I agree; at its current state, ant keeping probably couldn’t support more than twice the people it does now. However, if we made some major renovations, diversified, and adapted, we could become a fairly popular (or at least heard of) hobby. It wouldn’t be the same ant keeping we know now, but who knows- it could become even better.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#30 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 12:56 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Remember: big does not mean good. So many things have been ruined because too many people started showing up.

It's better to have a small but still sizeable hobby that's small enough to manage.

I do like that idea. However, I know many people that like nature and insects that do not like ants, just because they have not been interested by someone in ants. If you are talking about fake antscanada ant lovers, than i wholeheartedly agree with you. The last thing we need is a ton of antkeepers trying to get into ants, and finding out that it is not as easy as they think, and telling everyone likewise.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#31 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 7 2020 - 2:20 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

people think I'm weird for keeping ants and in drumline, the druggies referred to me as ant boy and that was my main thing... they said i "did" ants ( in the dirty way) 

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this

#32 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 8 2020 - 3:56 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

people think I'm weird for keeping ants and in drumline, the druggies referred to me as ant boy and that was my main thing... they said i "did" ants ( in the dirty way)

Unfortunately people are like that. Everything you do can be used to disrespect you a unusual kinda nerdy hobby is just a easy target.

Don't let them convince you it's stupid it's like mother jokes and calling people gay just to make noise. The usual trashtalk. lol
  • ANTdrew and zantezaint like this

#33 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 8 2020 - 4:36 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I felt that, way more than I should have...  :*(

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#34 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted March 9 2020 - 6:16 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

I think one phrase sums this up pretty well: I'm single for a reason :ugone2far:

• Ferox_Formicae, Manitobant and Ants_Dakota like this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#35 Offline FSTP - Posted March 9 2020 - 7:19 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I tend not to tell people. Only my closest of friends know. Most of my Family doesn't even know. I stopped telling people because when I woudl say I have a whole extra room in my house that is just full of ant colonies they seem to think I have a bunch of uncle milton setups everywhere or something. So I don't care to waste the time explaining the difference between what I do and the uncle milton stuff. Especially since its not like they end up being at all interested. There are exceptions though, if I meet someone that expressly shows interest in nature or insects in general. But that's far and few between. 

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2020 - 7:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I'm just like you, FSTP. You start to get a sense if people are judgmental or not.

My message to the young people on here is to keep doing your thing and be true to yourself. The things you're learning now can open up a lot of doors in the future, and even if they don't, you're experiencing one of the miracles of our world firsthand.

Once you get past a certain age, people won't really care what you do as long as you aren't bothering or hurting anybody. Quirky hobbies can even make you endearing to the right kind of people. Keep at it.

• OhNoNotAgain, justanotheramy and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#37 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 9 2020 - 9:30 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I only have problems when people ask me what my hobbies are. most people don't hink of arthropods as a hobby.

#38 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 9 2020 - 9:37 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I think one phrase sums this up pretty well: I'm single for a reason :ugone2far:

Every girlfriend I've ever had has left me because of my interests. They just don't understand...

• FSTP, VenomousBeast, Manitobant and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#39 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 9 2020 - 11:17 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Just my opinion and somewhat off-topic, but:

If you young guys want to find girlfriends who are into or okay with inverts, I'm guessing you might start by hanging out with nerdier young women, if you can find any. If nothing else it's fun to geek out in mixed gender groups (I was able to do this in college because I went to a nerd haven college). On FB I've recently begun hanging out with a bunch of people who are into inverts, and most of us are women. But also, in my experience, nerd women are less into societal expectations/appearances and are more into ... being nerds (shock) ... so give and take goes both ways.

• Ferox_Formicae and justanotheramy like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#40 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 9 2020 - 12:27 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I tend not to tell people. Only my closest of friends know. Most of my Family doesn't even know. I stopped telling people because when I woudl say I have a whole extra room in my house that is just full of ant colonies they seem to think I have a bunch of uncle milton setups everywhere or something. So I don't care to waste the time explaining the difference between what I do and the uncle milton stuff. Especially since its not like they end up being at all interested. There are exceptions though, if I meet someone that expressly shows interest in nature or insects in general. But that's far and few between.

Same here. When people at the pet store ask what I have at home, I just make up some excuse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users